Good Old Gumbo

Bruce Mc

Handloader
Oct 26, 2005
I've got a big pot of gumbo simmering on the stove. Later I'll put it in some vacuum seal bags so we can warm it up in a pot of boiling water in camp next month. Made my rue of course saute the holy trinity, garlic, onion, and bell pepper. I boiled off four chicken leg quarters with a bunch of celery cut in big chunks and then deboned the chicken. I boiled two pounds of jumbo shrimp. I cut up a link of venison sausage. The rue and veggies and a pound of okra and the venison sausage and three bay leaves went into the pot of chicken stock and brought it to a boil turned the heat down to simmer until the okra was done. Then I added the chicken and shrimp. I'm gonna let that simmer until it cools down so I can put it in the bags.

Attachments

• 20240928_163126.jpg
    20240928_163126.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 2
i'm a creole person, but won't say no to gumbo or jambalaya! my sister's in-laws came from Lake Charles, LA and her MIL could make some great cajun food. the spicier and hotter the better! i'm not sure if the jambalaya recipe i have was hers? i'll check and see, then report back

Sure do love some Gumbo and that sounds and looks great, I can almost taste it. Love Jambalaya also.
Every now and then I can get the wife to whip some of either up but she likes to throw everything in a pot and cook it all at the same time so getting her to take her time and do it right I have to make sure she has the time.

Sure do love some Gumbo and that sounds and looks great, I can almost taste it. Love Jambalaya also.
Every now and then I can get the wife to whip some of either up but she likes to throw everything in a pot and cook it all at the same time so getting her to take her time and do it right I have to make sure she has the time.
I usually put chicken gizzards and oysters in my gumbo but one of our party doesn't like gizzards and oysters won't freeze and reheat well.

I have file, shrimp, chicken (or ruffed grouse), and lots of rice. No swamp water (I have to substitute muskeg wTer) and no andouille sausage (I have to substitute Ukrainian sausage). I do ha have a good selection of spices, and because of the influx of South Asian immigrants, there is okra usually available. Ergo, I manage to make a passable gumbo and a reasonable jambalaya. Well, this is stirring the pot. Now, where did I see those crawdads?

I usually put chicken gizzards and oysters in my gumbo but one of our party doesn't like gizzards and oysters won't freeze and reheat well.
Yeah gizzards are tasty but can be tuff and chewy, Oysters are best served fresh, Raw, steamed or fried. Love some Oyster stew also.
Man I'm glad fall is here so I can get some fresh tonged Oysters to eat, sea sides are the best since they have a good salty flavor. Got some that were from the Texas gulf coast that were very good once but they don't show up here very often. The best around here come from the mouth of the Chesapeake bay in mid winter when the salt settles to the bottom or sea sides where the salt level is higher.

Yeah gizzards are tasty but can be tuff and chewy, Oysters are best served fresh, Raw, steamed or fried. Love some Oyster stew also.
Man I'm glad fall is here so I can get some fresh tonged Oysters to eat, sea sides are the best since they have a good salty flavor. Got some that were from the Texas gulf coast that were very good once but they don't show up here very often. The best around here come from the mouth of the Chesapeake bay in mid winter when the salt settles to the bottom or sea sides where the salt level is higher.
The oyster industry has taken some big hits the past few years. Between depleted reefs and too much fresh water shutting down the bays it's hard to find good oysters even if you live on the Texas coast. And the price has gone way up.

Sanantonio Bay is where they came from if I remember right. Steamed or raw they were delicious.
Fresh water, over harvesting and pollution has taken its toll on the Chesapeake Bay also.

Back