Goodbye DuraTouch

ksubuck

Handloader
Jun 25, 2014
I was one of the unfortunate ones that got a defective DuraTouch stock on a Browning ABolt. It was always really tacky, but last year it became sticky and started to peel. Since I planned on hunting with it, I just sprayed it with clearcoat to try to stabilize it. That worked for hunting, but it didn't last for long.

Having heard horror stories about refinishing these stocks, I dug in with Citristrip yesterday and it wasn't too bad.

20170318_105918.jpg

I could peel some of the layer off pretty easily.

20170318_115952.jpg

The rubberized layer came off easily. Just smother the stock with Citristrip and let it sit for an hour. Then off to the bathtub (don't tell my wife) and rinse with lots of water. A SOS pad and a little scrubbing took the camo layer off and some of the primer layer.

20170318_144514.jpg

Another treatment with Citristrip and another trip to the bathtub and the primer layer was off.

Then routine rattle can spray paint and I am finished. Not sure if I like the color I picked, but I can always start over.

20170318_205918.jpg

It looks pretty good. That is commendable. Did you ask Browning to supply a new stock? Just wondering.

Looks like you did a fantastic job. I like the colors you chose. Great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't call Browning. Thought about it but decided it wasn't worth the bother, I had already redone the bedding on this one.

TMH, thanks for the compliment. The more of these I do, the easier they get.

Looks great. Nice job. (I also completely understand the "don't tell my wife" comment. My first adventure with Cerakote in the kitchen stove was one of those. :grin:)

ksubuck, that is nice work.

Dwh7271":uqnbzkn6 said:
Looks great. Nice job. (I also completely understand the "don't tell my wife" comment. My first adventure with Cerakote in the kitchen stove was one of those. :grin:)

Did your wife say " Dear, does this taste kinda funny from the last time I made it? I am sure its the same recipe. " :lol:

I like it too :) Same process as the '06? You keep this up and I might have to try it with my
Savage accu stock. :) CL

CL, yep, same process as the other stock. Not too hard to do.

Teach, some people love the grippy feel and buy them. I bought into the camo pattern but was neutral on the rubber feel. Really, the price was right for a nice rifle to chase moose and elk with. I have owned the rifle for 9 years but only took it on a single moose hunt prior to hunting last year. I had no idea that they could degrade so easily.

Back