Got some shooting in today.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Had a 28 Nosler and 338 Lapua to shoot (not mine). So while I was setting up for that I decided to also try a few rounds of a new load with the BLR. 257 Roberts.

Enjoyed the time just out shooting even if all guns and loads didn't shoot 100%.

Tried some 100 gr Speers in the BLR since I got a bunch of those. Used IMR 4350 and went off Hodgdon's data figuring in the loss for the 20" barrel. I had a target speed of 2800-2850 with that bullet. Loaded some up at 46 gr's which is 1.7 gr's below Hodgdon's max.

Averaged 2875. The 4 shot group was .845 which I'm more than happy with, but I had a 5th shot flier that put the group at 1.75". Got some of those fliers with the 115 Nosler Partitions also. I might of discovered the issue.

The partitions seated terribly hard. I suspected it had something to do with that they were blems. These 100 gr Speer's today were better, but also seated noticeably abnormally hard. Those same Speer bullets seat smooth as silk in my 250 savage and 257 Roberts AI. I'm gonna swap out the expander button in either my 250 die, or my AI die.

The 338 Lapua had a less than 1/2" group going with 250 Bergers and Retumbo, running 2800. The 3rd shot did not go off.....sounded like a weak primer strike. I waited a minute or so and lifted the bolt to re-cock it and tried it again. Went off. Group was 5/8".

The 28 Nosler was pretty impressive the first time I shot it with 160 Accubonds and Retumbo running 3150. It shot 1/2" right out of the gate. Today's loads were a different seating depth. It didn't like it as well. Need to go back to where we started.

Alderman":33st2noq said:
What loading cycle are you on with the brass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were used Remington brass.......I'm assuming once fired, but don't know for sure. I freshly annealed them before loading these Speer's, so should be malleable and consistent.

I'm betting if I swap out the expander button it'll be different and easier seating, but maybe not.

That looks like things are going well.
The Lapua sounds wicked. Getting to be quite a few in service in this area but I’ve never seen one in action.

Alderman":3o3d2vio said:
That looks like things are going well.
The Lapua sounds wicked. Getting to be quite a few in service in this area but I’ve never seen one in action.

She likes to beller, but backs it up with spitting out heavy bullets at a pretty good clip. Shoves pretty good but doesn't hurt. Got a big ole factory brake on it. It's a savage long range hunter, I believe is what they're called. Impressive cartridge.

With all the backing off shooting because of components, I've shot probably at least 400 rounds from bolt guns this summer. The vast majority of them magnums, and not mine. I like it when buddies ask me to shoot their guns. (y) :grin: Magnums can be impressive, and even fun, but I still don't desire to own one.

I did a lot of shooting this Summer but most of it was with air rifles. I’ve got some loads I need to try out in the 375 H&H before elk season.
I found a 338 Mag that came with a brake on it a while back. Only gun I’ve ever shot with a brake. It does feel different at the bench than the other magnums I have shot.

Back