Got the 300 WM back

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Finally got my 300 Win Mag back, I sent it off to fix the feeding issues with the push feed, it was built for me about 5 years ago, had been single feeding it to develop loads until last year when I used it for a double nilgai hunt last year and noticed the feeding issues. It's a Remington 700 Sendero chambered for 7 STW that I bought in the mid 90's. After burning 3 barrels, I converted it to 300 WM with a stock change to a McMillian fitted with a ATACR MOAR 5-25 F1, I just found out its a F1 after all these years, it was mostly untouched in the back of the safe, I have always been a 2nd focal plane user and I don't regret buying the F1. Had the feeding issue solved with some adjustments that he should have done when he built that gun, rounds kept popping out when I would chamber to load the first round and 2nd round when I was hunting nilgai and it was not a good thing to have so I had to rely only on one shot and it worked. I had a wrap around cheek pad with foam inserts and never liked it, so he installed a Kydex cheekriser and I like it.
I had remembered when I last checked the bore with a bore scope last year, I am going to work up some loads and ran a bore scope through the barrel again to check the bore and I saw some firecracking in the throat, but not severe so I guess it has some life left.
Going to use some of the RL 25 that I had used eons ago, I got a little less than a pound, and I have always used RL22, and I have one pound left but I don't want to use it, I rather save it for future use. Saving a pound of RL 26 as well.
Has anyone used RL 25 for the 300 Win Mag? I don't see this powder on the Nosler site, but I see it on other sites. I plan to use it with 180 Ballistic Tips and Accubonds. Hodgdon is a tad slower but H1000 is a great powder that I am thinking to use as well and more stable than RL 25. Going to do a 3 round ladder with RL-25 in .5 increments from 78.5 to 80 grains as a start at .020" off and see what it shows on paper.
Edited to add: Just checked Quickload, it shows 107% fill with only 78.7 grains at 59157 psi at 3127 fps. I was hoping to push close to 64k psi. I guess one way to find out. I don't like powder crunch.

Attachments

• 2024-07-02_120935_877.jpg
    2024-07-02_120935_877.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 2024-07-02_120914_967.jpg
    2024-07-02_120914_967.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 20
  • kydex.jpg
    kydex.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I used reloder 25 with 185 Hybrid targets in a previous 300wm barrel. Very accurate.

Please scrub that barrel with JB or iosso. You have hard carbon all over that throat.
Higher pressures will happen when carbon builds in the first few inches. It highly accelerates firecracking.

I used 73gr/R23/175 LRX for around 3080. I later found RS Magnum at 87gr gave me about a 100fps faster/better accuracy. I know it's not R25, but I thought it may give you a parameter? Good luck chief!

I did use RL-22 with 180gr AB in my brother’s 300 WM. I don’t remember what the charge weight was. It’s kinda a moot point as RL-22 is nonexistent today.

Although it's not listed as one of the powders of choice in OP, one load that I have had exceptionally good luck with in multiple .300 Win Mag rifles is 68 grains of IMR4350 on top of either the Nosler Partition or Sierra Gameking. For whatever reason, it just shoots well. Velocities are about par with the 2950 fps of most factory ammunition with some variation gun to gun.

Either way, good luck!

Mark
I’m like you, starting something new, I try to stay away from compressed loads and I tend to save my Reloder powders for loads I’m already using in other cartridges. I use Ramshot Magnum in my 7MM WSM and Accurate MagPro in my 7MM RM which each produced the most accurate loads and near the fastest of all powders I tried. Looking at the Hodgdon data for 300 Win Mag and 180 grain bullets, max loads for these two powders are not compressed and deliver the fastest speeds. So far, Hodgdon has kept these two available most of the time.

I know of a few that found IMR 4350 and 180 grain bullets to be the most accurate rounds in their 300WM and I think it’s been fairly easy to find available.

We actually discovered that "with those bullets" (the 180 XBT ) we could use this load in several 300WMs. It was like the 58gr/4350/165 , 30-06 load! But that has been awhile and bullets/powder Lots change. One thing to remember though...an accurate "any bullet" 300 Win Mag is just an "awesome" all around rifle! :)

Last edited:
Back