Grendel Hog Bullet

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
After deer season we are heading back to Alabama to my brothers friends place for some hog control...My daughter wants to tag along this time, and bring her AR15 6.5 Grendel..Her deer bullet is the 123 SST and its a great deer bullet, but I'm thinking something a little more stout for the hogs...Given the availability of components right now, what I'm able to find is the 100gr Partition and the 129 ABLR. I'm leaning toward the ABLR, but open to suggestions. I realize there is a plethora of fine bullet choices, but being close on time I'm looking for options that are "in stock"

I might lean to the 120 E Tip or 120 TTSX. They can be driven up around 2500 fps, midway has both in stock

26NosFan":efyzdn6o said:
I might lean to the 120 E Tip or 120 TTSX. They can be driven up around 2500 fps, midway has both in stock

Hmmm, food for thought, thanks..The e-tip just went out of stock at Midway :roll:

My friend went to Texas a few years back with his Grendel and used the Sierra 120gr Pro Hunter bullet. He shot 3 good sized sows and he said each one only took a single shot. They shoot well out of my Grendel. They are inexpensive which is a bonus.

In this day and time you got to use what you got. Over on the Grendel forum there is a fellow DNS (Double Not Spy) that shoots a huge amount of hogs and video's his hunts as well as does a bullet analogues. Believe it or not his bullet of choice is the Speer 90 gr TNT out of his 6.5 Grendel. He has a lot of stuff on YouTube and open with "Carpa Suse" SP?. He seams to get more put down kills and better expansion with penetration with it than many others. If you have them the 100 gr Partition pushed along by something like H335 out to do the trick. By the way DNS says that the 123 SST is a bit fragile for is liking. Good luck and good hunting.

I would go with the 129 gr ABLR. This bullet is accurate and holds up well in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

JD338

JD338":1rlkt531 said:
I would go with the 129 gr ABLR. This bullet is accurate and holds up well in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

JD338

Exactly what we did. That and some quickie load development with 8208XBR found a load that will shoot 5/8"-3/4" groups with decent speed, too..But that all went out the window when she abruptly decided she'd rather use her 7-08 and the 140 partiton load.

hunter24605":2ckfiypv said:
JD338":2ckfiypv said:

JD338

Exactly what we did. That and some quickie load development with 8208XBR found a load that will shoot 5/8"-3/4" groups with decent speed, too..But that all went out the window when she abruptly decided she'd rather use her 7-08 and the 140 partiton load.
Nothing wrong with the 7-08 and a 140 gr PT

JD338

Back