Grizzly Attacks Bowhunters:

The danger is part of the reason we hunt bears. However, they are atop the food chain, and that means that hunters must never forget the danger when hunting in bear territory.

I do know this from experience, such large animals can move surprisingly quietly. You don't always hear any "huffing" or stomping of the front paws.

Yet they continue to recommend bear spray over a combination defensive strategy.

Bear Spray and a suitable firearm makes a lot more sense.

I’ll have bear spray and either a 10MM or a 12ga. I know the 12 isn’t very fashionable anymore but 3 of the 4 dlp shootings I’ve been involved with in Alaska were well initiated if not completely settled with a 12 ga. Shooting them in the face with a load of buckshot at 5 or 10 feet just completely changes their mind and direction, at least in my limited experience. Actually one of them was hit with a load of sixes at about that many feet. Rolled him right over backward.
I digress, I hope I dont’ see one any closer than across the canyon this next week. You all will be the second or third to know If we have a bear rodeo.

Back