Groupings...Factory vs Reloads

C Broad Arrow

Beginner
Jul 24, 2008
Been testing my 375 H&H at the range the past two weekends.
My first session generated a 1.015 group with factory.
The second session with 64 grains of Reloader 15 under a 300 grains AccuBond tightened the group up to .75 inches.

Can I expect any further improvement given the caliber or is the rest up to me? :)

Thanks in advance.

There are a number of points of finessing that could yield greater accuracy. How fine do you want your load to shoot? In the field, MOA with a 375 H&H is adequate for dropping game at surprisingly long yardages. I have had some 375s (honesty compels me to admit that it was a 375 Ruger) yield 0.5 MOA, which was more than sufficient for a large Yukon/Alaska moose. You can play with other powders and/or OAL to finesse accuracy. However, under field conditions, it is difficult to see much improvement. My take, FWIW.

Thanks Mike... that helps a great deal. So long as I am minute of moose its all good. I just always want to know if I should sweat trying to get a tighter group and it seems the answer is "No".

I appreciate the feedback.

Moose have a deep chest (no less than thirty inches and up to thirty-six inches); the vitals occupy an area more than one-half that size, which is still eighteen to twenty-one inches. MOA is good to approximately six inches out to six hundred yards. If you can shoot MOA in the field, a moose is going to be tagged for you with either your hand load or the factory load.

C Broad Arrow":2lrxwt1b said:
The second session with 64 grains of Reloader 15 under a 300 grains AccuBond tightened the group up to .75 inches.

Can I expect any further improvement given the caliber or is the rest up to me? :)

Thanks in advance.

Thats plenty good enough right there :) ..I shoot the 260gr AccuBond out of my 375 H&H and it does .5 to .75" no need to mess with it, atleast for now :wink:

Lou

LD375":1hmlbii5 said:
C Broad Arrow":1hmlbii5 said:

Thanks in advance.

Thats plenty good enough right there :) ..I shoot the 260gr AccuBond out of my 375 H&H and it does .5 to .75" no need to mess with it, atleast for now :wink:

Lou
But messing is on our nature! :) That is why we are here. That is what we do!

Target .375 H&H - 300 gn Nosler AccuBond - 100 yrds. CCI Magnum Rifle Primer, 64 grns R15, Remington brass. Sako AV

Attachments

• 2015-08-01 Target 2-close.jpg
    2015-08-01 Target 2-close.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 224
Back