Guess I've killed enough this season

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
That's about the only way I can explain it. I have had a dozen bucks, two of them pretty good, in my range in the past two few weeks. I had a GREAT hunt. I have not felt the urge to pull the trigger once. Not at all. This morning I finally shrugged and told myself that I am apparently NOT going to pull the trigger on a Washington mulie this year. Pretty funny. Guess the pronghorn and the mulie in the freezer from my Wyoming trip are enough to satisfy me.

At any rate, it has been a good couple of weeks of hiking, Jeeping, watching, waiting, and generally enjoying my time in the Cascades. I've seen wonderful things, spent good time afield, and could have filled my tag several times. No, I have no bullet performance report, just some photos to share. My tag is good until tomorrow night, but I'm not hunting anymore. I just don't want to kill another deer this year. So I won't.

Sorry if the photos are generally lower quality, I didn't tote a real camera along with me most of the trip, just my cell phone:

Young buck, just above town, maybe 10 yards:

My only "selfie" this hunt. With the .30-30 Glenfield:

Most of the time I carried the deer-zapping .25-06 Remington, with the 6x Leupold & 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip handloads:

The Jeep, with the new Toyo mud tires, did superbly. It went places I'd have been very uncomfortable taking my old pickup, and did so easily. Snow, mud, steep inclines and deep ruts were not problems:

Saw some bighorn sheep:

Some nice sunrises:

Some steep country, that's about 2,000 - 3,000' from the floor to the crest of the ridge:

A little snow:

And plenty of mule deer:

It was a great hunt, and I thoroughly enjoyed! Despite not tagging a buck.

Regards, Guy

Nice pics. I miss being able to hike into the back country. Too old and gimped for that now. I'm jealous! :cry:

Guy, I know exactly what you are talking about. Hunting isn't just about shooting things. It is about all other things you mention. Often it is just as satisfying to "get the drop" on an animal without actually pulling the trigger.

One need not pull the trigger, if he is a hunter. He knows what he is looking for, and sharing the wilderness with those who live there year round is sufficient to feed his soul. Great pics, Guy. May only be a cell phone, but the quality is getting better all the time.

Guy, my hat's off to you pal! (y) ..Man, you've had an excellent season thus far, way to go :grin:

Nice photo's as well,

Lou (y)

Great pictures Guy and just like you said, your season was very successful as was this last trip. What's not to like about what you got to experience over the past few days or week!! Very nicely done.

Thanks Guy, I know exactly how you feel. The partners headed up for late Moose this morning and man I want to be with them!!! I would not need a rifle to have a great time just the outdoors and the clad would be more than enough for me!!
Thank you for the photos they look great to me :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks for sharing Guy. When I was younger and my family also I took them camping in Virginia on the Sky Line drive in the Blue ridge MTs. We stayed in a camping area called Big Meadows. The National forestry department was letting an old mountain farm revert back to wood land. While hiking with my wife and three children the youngest which was my son who was about 3 at the time was riding on my shoulders. I spotted a doe and a pair of twin fawns making their way threw the brush and pointed them out to the wife and children.When the doe and fawns disappeared into the brush I asked if they wanted to see them again and they said yes so I circled and cut them off for another viewing by everyone. After doing this several times the doe hid the fawns and tried to lead us away from them. I circled one more time to cut here off and got closer to her than I had intended. She came out of the Bay Berry and was right beside me, so close my son reached out and grabbed her ear. Not being able to figure out what had a hold of her ear she shook her head dislodging his hold and walked off. I was in full camo and I guess she thought her ear was stuck in a bush.
Life's experiences in the bush are very rewarding even if you don't pull a trigger.

Wonderful pictures Guy. Sounds like you had a Blessed time. Meat in the freezer, rifle on the knee and a contented spirit. ALL is well. CL

Wonderful write up Guy. My next and last hunt will be very casual. Archery elk on the coast, with some clamming time. The days will be shorter and I am going to dial back and enjoy the ride.

Glad that the deer are doing well this deer? I just like to get out and see them sometimes. I was in Chelan last fall and saw a few deer just from the trail up on top. I don't need to shoot many anymore, I have shot my allocation.

Nice pictures Guy. Thanks for the post.

Like others have said here, if you are a hunter or fisher you know it's not always about getting the quarry but the adventure along the way.

Nice pictures and great writeup.
You live in pretty country. I would have problems getting anything done, I would want to be up there all the time.
I understand your sentiments as when and if I fly fish, I now use totally barbless. Just because. :grin:

Awesome pictures, I have been there and can relate. Good on you.

Sent from ACLakey's Android

I think we can all relate Guy. Great season and great time outdoors.

Those jeeps look to be the ticket out west for getting in the tight spots! Not sure the F250 will fit some of those turns and switchbacks.

pre6422hornet":2h9vbrpo said:
I think we can all relate Guy. Great season and great time outdoors.

Those jeeps look to be the ticket out west for getting in the tight spots! Not sure the F250 will fit some of those turns and switchbacks.

Mostly they're old (or current) logging roads and a full size truck works well on the vast majority of the routes. There are a few older, smaller roads where the Jeep really is sweet, or a small Bronco or something like that would work well too.

Thanks guys. It has been a great fall, hunting mule deer in two states, and taking a pronghorn buck as well.

Sure have enjoyed the past few weeks, prowling around "my" mountains!

Regards, Guy

Back