Gun Safe Location.

trsmith1818

Beginner
Jul 17, 2011
Does anyone keep there gun safe/guns in non-temperature/humidity controlled basements or garages. Im looking to buy a bigger gun safe but dont have room other than in the basement which isnt temperature /humidity controlled. I worry about rust and other issues?

Mine is in the basement and temp controlled. I have a golden rod inside the safe.

You have to put it where you can. Get a golden rod and some moisture absorbing pellets.

JD338

I have kept my gun safe in the unfinished basement and in the garage. I just make sure that I have a "Browning Golden Rod" heater in the safe that is on all of the time. The rod is at 100*F and keeps the safe dry and at about 90*F. My garage often has high humidity and standing water from the car because we live in wet Western Washington. A long as I keep the safe door closed most of the time and the heater turned on, I have had no issues with rust or humidity damage. I have had gun safes for 30 years now and have no issues.

I kept my safe in the garage in my garage in Colorado with no issues and my current is not temperature controlled. The temperature here is usually pretty good and I've only added two big dehumidifiers to the floor of the safe.

If you want to save some money you don't have to use a golden rod you can just use a plain old light bulb. A 75 to 100 W bulb puts off enough heat to keep everything dry. One thing I have also learned is to NOT place the safe on a concrete floor. Place some 2X4s on the floor on the side edges and spaced a few inches apart through the middle. This allows air between the safe bottom and the floor and it does not conduct the cold and moisture from the concrete floor up into your safe. You can still bolt the safe to the floor if you want to.

A basement location for me would be a gamble. Humidity is one thing, but a flooded basement is another. That water could come from either a broken water pipe or from some outside source. Another thing to consider is the possibility of a house fire. My gun safes are located in an insulated rec room on one end of a garage separate from the house. If my house flames up, at least there is a strong chance my firearms will be safe. This room is not heated, so temperature fluctuations and condensation are not a problem. I live in a dry climate and that helps also. I keep the bores treated with RIG and the exteriors wiped down with a gun cloth and have had no storage problems.

I put one of these under my gun safe:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/r ... -ft-x-6-ft

Nice cushioning, impervious to water, no problem with my 1500 pound gun safe on top of it.
And, very cheap.
Exact style varies by your local TSC; mine has diamond tread pattern on top with deep ridges underneath. They're made from recycled tires. As a result I don't get poisture on the bottom of my safe and unlike wood it won't rot over time.

My safe is in my basement because I don't want it accessible or visible in the garage.

Patrick

Back