H.S. Precision Stock

404412f4fe3aa9f3cb722ce499f538da.jpg

The results of my hunt.
Thanks all!

Excellent pictures and a great way to cap this thread! Doesn't get any better than that. Looking forward to hearing the details of the hunt, how the bullet did and anything else you are willing to tell us. Scotty

Well gents, upon your promptings and in trying to "save face" the photo as seen was added. It is actually true as captioned ... BUT I must now finally confess, I personally failed to get an elk with my "tack-driver" Remington with bedded H.S. Precision stock.
The rest of the story and the complete results of my hunt was, I got to skin Dad's elk as seen in the above photo. :oops:
-
I gotta tell ya, shooting 200-yard non-moving paper targets from the bench, with sandbags is WAY different from shooting offhand in the woods.
After Dad got his elk, I asked him if he would follow me around with a concrete shooting bench and sandbags, but at 73 years of age, he declined.
-
My scope was set for 16X and focused at that distance. I had rotated the power to 4X before coming across a small herd in a moderately wooded area at about 55 yards, but forgot to focus it. It was snowing and I was tired from carrying this heavy rifle, but the sight of elk that close pumped me up.
When I raised the rifle, I saw what looked like a blurry head. I hesitated for a second, and she ran. That was the last day of the hunt, and the end of my hopes.
So, I will be training for my next hunt by learning how to quickly shoot from "field positions" and working on becoming more familiar with my scope.
-
The handloads we made for Dad's rifle are built using 168 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.
In his "off the shelf, non-modified" Savage 30.06 with a Leupold VX3 scope and a two-stage heavy "lawyer" trigger, I am getting .7" groups at 100 yards with these handloads and I zeroed it at 200 yards with the shots about 2" high at 100 yards.
To get that tight of a group, we found the best "sweet spot" with this stock gun at 46.5 grains of Varget. We loaded once fired prepped brass and used Federal 210M primers.
-
Dad's elk in the photo with me skinning it, was harvested on the opening day at daybreak.
The cow in this photo above was standing broadside at roughly 150 yards with 6 others.
Dad's Nosler bullet hit this cow elk at about 7 to 8 inches behind the edge of the front shoulder muscle, on center of the body, but a bit too far back in my opinion. It appears to me to have broken up somewhat just after entry, upon hitting a rib. It took out both lungs, the liver had a few small holes, it opened the stomach, and from what I could tell it appeared that the main portion of the bullet exited the other side at about the same distance in back of the front shoulder. As it exited, it missed the off-side ribs. I honestly feel that Nosler's Ballistic Tip is devastating, and drops the animal. My brother thinks the world of these bullets, and this is why we loaded them, but to me, I want the bullet to punch through and hold together as the E-Tip or AccuBond is reported to do.
-
In returning to the subject of this thread, I will be adding photos of my H.S. Precision stock, including Nosler handloaded group shot photos before and after the bedding job.
Bill

USAFBlue,

That is why we call it hunting and not shooting. I make it a practise to carry my scopes on the lowest power. At the lowest power, it is easy to acquire a target and make a decent shot even out to 200 yards. If a longer shot is required, usually one will have sufficient time to turn the power ring. The BTs work just fine, and the PTs work just as well and better. There is no doubt that you had a good rifle and a load to accomplish the task. Little things determine the outcome of the hunt, almost always.

I recently found my old target and stock photos, so here is a photo of the horizontal stringing problem that I had prior to bedding my H.S. Precision stock.
-
56675e5b8c0ae5267f21d947c8180df3.jpg

-
Here below is a photo of the H.S. Precision stock just after I'd fully bedded it with Devon Aluminum. I know it looks rough, but it is my first bedding job. With the looks aside and hidden by the action, I am extremely satisfied with the post-bedding group sizes and my stringing problem became a thing of the past.
-
751de8244dff80d444c3aa28a7d11413.jpg

-
Update: Latest Pet Load - Still using the H. S. Precision Stock
Pulled the Schmidt & Bender Precison Hunter Scope and installed my backup Leupold VX-3.
(Scope Problems)
-
33becd75ddd3e24856f130ac7e8fb601.jpg

(Edited to add photos)

Nice group there USAFblue.

Typical 308 performance. The cartridge lacks the glamour of some of the newest high performance round but it made it up with superb inherent accuracy.

There was a thread here talking about a neglected rifle. I thought about my 308. I just realized I haven't shot this thing in a while... over a year to be exact. So I crafted couple of 168 grain Berger VLD's and I'm going to give this rifle a whirl this weekend. I might just use it for the next month F-Class shoot.

I bought a B&C Medalist with the aluminum web. It had over spray which may have contributed to the it not actualy free floated as by its design,

Cleaned the pillars and sanded the barrel channel untill A dallar bill could be slipped all the way to the chamber area. I removed only pain but it was thick paint.

700SPS-SS VX3 4.5-14x40mm LR with B&C stock. I shot a few 3-shot groups from 0.2" to 0.5". Lapua brass, BR4 primers, 24.9grs Benchmark, and Berger 52gr HPV @ 3270fps. This is mild load but tuned to my rifle.The 52gr The 52gr A-max seem to work too but I will have to work with it more.

DrMike":2jm8hin1 said:
Nothing wrong with that group. You have every reason to be pleased.

Outside of the flier at 4:30 :p

In all seriousness,,,that pretty darn good in my books as well!

IMPORTANT UPDATE:
On Thursday, two days ago, I purchased yet another Remington 700 Stainless that came from the factory with a "drop-in" H.S. Precision stock.
Today, on a "hunch" I decided to remove the action and examined this new stock for "overspray".
I wasted way too many rounds, time and money trying to find an accurate handload before I discovered the overspray on the tang of my 1st Remington rifle with an H.S. Precision stock.
Sadly, this new stock TOO has overspray on the aluminum bedding block for the tang to rest on. :?
You can see the point where the tang of the action has rested on H.S. Precision factory overspray and crushed it down when assembled if you look closely at the photo below, (The actions tang left an impression in the soft material on both sides)

09db0a29dc4469990c1be422c8dbf160.jpg

2d0b97b58f7b2ca6c6752b9e18a5424f.jpg

I have worked on the stock a bit and added the "Before and After" photos (above) to point out the three areas of concern, and to illustrate the areas where this "paint" was scraped away to allow metal to metal contact as intended by the manufacturers.
-
Two out of two stocks convinces me that this very well may be the "Norm" for new H.S. Precision stocks purchased by Remington for their rifles, as this latest rifle was manufactured in April of 2011, and my other Remington 700 with an H.S. Precision stock with the same problem was manufactured in 2008. I honestly believe that all Remingtons that come with H.S. Precision stocks will have this overspray and that it can contribute to accuracy problems.
-
I am also totally convinced that similar overspray caused my horizontal "zig-zig" groups in my Remington 308 and most strongly suggest that ANY owner of an H.S. Precision stock needs to pull the action and examine the areas as shown in the photos for overspray, and at the very least, follow the H.S. Precision techs advice to me, in which he stated... "The overspray should not be there. Sand it lightly to remove it"
I will follow his advice for this new stock as well, and YES, I DO plan to "void my warrantee" with H.S. Precision by fully bedding this new stock with Devcon Aluminum. :shock:
-
BTW, this latest new in the box rifle is for higher terminal velocity shots at distances over 300 yards.
It is my latest "toy" to work up a load in.
It's a Remington 700 Stainless Sendero SF II chambered in 300 RUM. 8)

Well you came in at the right time for the 300 rum. I just bought one and have finished working up loads thanks to the guys on here which have lots of helpful load data.

Bill

That's a bummer on the Sendero. They have a good reputation, but that doesn't give much confidence that they are maintaining the quality on that particular line any better than the other lines.

HS makes a decent stock. Light. Reasonably tough. Good ergonomics - for some people.

Back about '02 or '03, I had to skim bed mine, to match it well with the short action Remington. A little attention to them makes them fit & work better.

In that regard, they're not really different from most stocks. My McMillan also needed to be bedded.

In my opinion, pretty much any stock, despite claims from the maker, can benefit from being properly fitted to the rifle action. Sometimes due to serendipity, things work out and the stock fits the action perfectly. Often though, they need a little fitting/bedding.

Regards, Guy

Back