243 Win 90AB RL26

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I am working with my little brothers Mossberg ATR 100 243. Stock is an absolute 4x4, but the firing system and controls seems very good and it is fairly accurate as well. I wanted to develop him a multipurpose sorta load, something that is fast and will reach out to 300 with minimal drop for coyotes and something that will most likely break down a decent sized northern buck without too much hassle, SO, I turned to my stock pile of 90 AB's.. I also have a decent amount of RL26 which QL said should be pretty quick.. I started off at .050" off the rifling per the way I usually start out with the 90's and wanted to see where I was at..

Those were the 1st three sets of loaded rounds I put through the gun. Didn't have a chance to chrono them, but when I went back, I loaded another series to see what would happen. I actually load 6 per, just wanting to get 3 over the Magnetospeed and 3 without to compare if/how much the MS changes up the grouping ability of the rifle. To my eyes, it is fairly substantial in some cases and not as much in others. For this 243, I don't think it liked the bayonet on the end of the rifle.

Those were two groups WITH the MS on the snout..

Here are the ones without..

So, to my eyes there is some change in both POI and overall group size.. Saw the same with the Whelen..

Also, I seated the bullets about .010" deeper for the 2nd round of loads. I will go even deeper next time and see what happens. I am very please with the speeds so far, and the accuracy seems to be there as well.

Also, a plug about factory loads.. I picked up one box of the 100 grain SP Hornady Whitetail ammunition. Pretty accurate stuff, but I was dieing to see if it came close to the advertised 2900 FPS.. Well, in my little brothers 243 with a 22" barrel it was quite a bit off the mark..

The speeds written in pen a few weeks ago when I first tested the ammo a few weeks ago, then the numbers written in black marker were from yesterday. Decently consistent stuff, but danged slow.

Anyhow, I thought it was pretty interesting.

Is it me or is it getting tighter as you go up?
Bet you can pull that 48 gr load right in. It's moving pretty well also.

The 48.0 gr charge weight looks good. Seating deeper in .005" increments should get you where you want to be.

JD338

That's what I was wondering Dewey, do I have room to up the charge a little? It seems like the higher I move on PSI's the better it is shooting which isn't totally unusual for a Slow Burner like 26..

Jim, that is my plan as well, I will keep walking it in a 1/4 turn to get it to come around. Could be real good if it ends up around 3250 with decent, repeatable accuracy..

Have to imagine that will be an excellent bullet for that .243. I haven't settled on a bullet for my grandson's 243 at this point. Maybe I should give the 90 grain AB a look-see.

Dwh7271":3g554oo7 said:
Is it me or is it getting tighter as you go up?
Bet you can pull that 48 gr load right in. It's moving pretty well also.

Been thinking on RL 26 with the 90 AB in the 243 also.......

QL for 20" barrel at OAL 2.65" ????????? I remember you adjusting Ba for RL26 in other calibers.

Interesting that you guys are suggesting seating deeper. I guess you never really know unless you try but my instinct would be to seat longer/closer to the lands.

desertcj":1ivx0sge said:
Interesting that you guys are suggesting seating deeper. I guess you never really know unless you try but my instinct would be to seat longer/closer to the lands.

With a lot of cup and core bullets you would be correct but with the AccuBond it is true that sometimes they like to be farther away from the lands. That is a great thing about this forum, all the good advice here that works. I have experienced it myself with the AccuBond tightening up as it was seated deeper. Of course it may group well closer to the lands as well, you just never know.

Looks like a really good load developing for you, your little bro will be happy by the time you are done.

I think I'll get it Gerry. It should be a wicked load if it tightens up for me.

Well, I monkeyed around a little more with this. Bumping up in 1/2 grain increments.

I think I will probably work seating depth around that 48/48.5 grain load. 3400 should have shown me some signs but it popped out the same as all the rest. 3300 will be a wicked load if they will come together though. 26 is looking very versatile though. It fits in the 243 with 0 drama. I like the stuff a lot the more I work with it.

And I just noticed the gain from today from a few weeks back? The only difference was about .010" seating depth? Shot over the same Magneto speed, same spot on the range and same lot of powder? Weird...

Well, that about convinces me that I need to work with the 90 grain AB and RL26. Your standard deviations are very nice. They are indicative of excellent accuracy.

They just haven't hit "the spot" yet Mike. I think they will go tighter, but they are a little finicky with seating depth. Ah well, name of the game, right? :lol:

I'm actually cued up to work with 90 grain E-Tips, but I do have access to some 90 grain AccuBonds. These loads will be for my youngest grandson to shoot.

DrMike":1dzaixoi said:
I'm actually cued up to work with 90 grain E-Tips, but I do have access to some 90 grain AccuBonds. These loads will be for my youngest grandson to shoot.

These are from my little brothers Mossberg. Not a beautiful rifle but it does seem pretty capable. It has a very inexpensive scope on it as well. I'll keep drilling with. Might be able to get it to come around.

WoW,
Those are some very impressive speeds your posting! What an impressive load out of a little .243. Great stuff Scotty.

35 Whelen":1nbpu840 said:
WoW,
Those are some very impressive speeds your posting! What an impressive load out of a little .243. Great stuff Scotty.

I think you'll like what you see from 26 in your 25 Whelen E. It's working really well with those 100 Etips. Need to dial them in a little but they show some promise there as well.

I am calling that load the .243 LT Magnum................. that's smoking my friend.

Scotty,

Awesome results with your brother's .243! Looks like I need to find some RL26 and 90 ABs for my kiddos' .243 when we get back and get crackin'. Again, great work and look forward to hearing more of your load development.

Take Care,

Joe

Back