H.S. Precision Stock

sithlord6512

Beginner
Nov 24, 2008
Just ordered a H.S. Precision stock. According to a H.S. Precision website, glass bedding is not necessary and would void the warranty. What are others doing. I recall a post where a poster stated that he, as a matter of course, ALWAYS beds his rifles with H.S. precision stocks?

Normally, I would check how it shot 1st without bedding to decide what to do, but as I live in the Arctic (shipping costs are almost unbelievable), to save money and more importantly, TIME, I am considering leaving my gun with my gunsmith (I am in Ontario/Southern Canada at the moment)and have H.S. precison send the stock to the gunsmith directly. Otherwise, I bring the gun back up to the Arctic with me and have the stock sent to me in the Arctic (and hope and pray H.S. Precision is correct in advertising that I can simply drop my rifle in no hassles).

Sithlord, I would listen to the powers that be at H&S. I have a McMillan stock on one of my rifles and received the same advice, "No need to glass bed". I found this to be true as my rifle (Rem 700 in .338 Ultramag) shoots 1 3/4 inch groups at 200 yards. H&S makes an excellent product.

Sith -

I would not bed it if the company voids the warranty for doing so. I would fit it, shoot it, and if you are having problems, check the screws for proper torque, try adding a pressure point if there isn't one, etc.

I would just try different things before bedding it and guaranteeing a voided warranty. I think HS Precision stocks are excellent and have solid reputations

With a soild metal bedding block machined for a particular action in a synthetic stock, a bedding job shouldn't be required,,,,if it was put together right. If it wasn't they need to be able to see what a bedding job may cover up. I know other's also bed anyhow, but that's their prerogative. Really bedding is only necessary in a wood stock or a synthetic with simple pillars, and then not always, but still a good idea.
I agree, shoot it first and see.
Dave

I have an H&S and a Hogue stock with the full bed action block and neither needed any bedding. I have shot a bunch of rifles with H&S stocks and none of them needed any bedding. Just properly torque your action screws to what H&S suggest for your action type.

Sithlord, it depends on the action.
If it's for a round action like a Remington 700, it will snug up fine, and no bedding is needed. If it's for a flat action like a Winchester M70, it's still necessary to bed the forward area.

I assume yours if for a Remington 700, because my M70 HS percision stock came with bedding compound and instructions on how to bed the forward area.

Thanks guys - you have convinced me - I am taking my gun up with me and will only consider bedding my rifle if something seems amiss (i.e., groups increase with my New vs old factory stock).

I have two of them and my brother also has two of them.
Never glass bedded any of the four.All are for Rem 700s and all are tackdrivers.

My only complaint was the front sling swivel stud kept coming loose on my 280.I removed it,put a thin nylon washer under it and some locktitie on the threads,problem solved.

Howard

I agree with the other guys, bedding should not be necessary with an H-S fiberglass stock. I own five of them and have never bedded any of them.

I am especially impressed with the one I put on my Remington Model 700 chambered in 300 Wby Mag. Twice now I have hunted in the rain while elk hunting in New Mexico. Both times I came home and took the rifle out of the stock to clean it well. Both times I dropped it back in, torqued it down and took it to the range. Both times the POI had not changed one bit. Those are great stocks, to be sure.

A buddy just bought an H-S for his Remington Model 700 chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. He just dropped it in and went to the range, it shot better than it ever had.

Some do need bedding to shoot their best. I had a 700 VS with the HS Precision stock that had a bit of a wandering zero problem. Not terrible, but it was there. A quick bit of bedding cured that forever.

You've got to figure that HS produces many, many of those stocks, and that Remington and the other rifle makers produce many thousands of rifles. Sometimes there's going to be a combo that just doesn't fit together as well as it should, due to normal manufacturing variances. The bedding job will take care of that.

Most of them bolt on fine and shoot great. I'd try that first for sure!

Guy

Depending on barrel contour/length I've had afew bedded froward of the lug. They make a good stock.

I agree with the others, follow the advice of HS Precision. If it doesn't shoot, I would take it to them first.

JD338

Please note that the HS Precision stock MAY need work. Mine had overspray on the aluminum and the steel of the action was resting on it. This overspray cracked loose, and my gun was shooting poorly. Upon contacting the H. S. Precision rep., and sending a macro-photo he stated that it would need light sanding to remove this material as it should not be there. After removing the cracked overspray material, I had to "scrape in" the aluminum to get the tang of the action to rest well on the aluminum block. After about three hours of coloring, reinstalling, and uninstalling the action, then scraping the aluminum areas where it touched until the action "seated" in several points, and the U-shape had two good lines of contact, it was time to reassemble, and torque the screws to the proper clamp load. I will see how it shoots as soon as I get more ammo reloaded.

USAFBLUE, welcome to the forums. Glad to have you aboard. Hope you are having a great Fall. Scotty

USAFBlue,

Welcome aboard. That doesn't sound like a good recommendation. If we buy a stock, we expect it to meet certain minimum standards. It doesn't sound as if that was your experience.

I am told that it is what had to be done. I do not recommend the stock, as so far it was not manufactured with good quality control in my opinion. I was hoping to help some that might have purchased a rifle with an H. S. Precision stock, and may be having poor groups as I am. The gun is a Remington 700 SS 5R and SHOULD be holding .5" groups at 100 yards from what I have read. BTW... how do I post a photo? Thanks for the welcome. :)

Thanks DrMike for the instructions as to how to post photos. :)
-
Here is the way the H. S. Precision stock that came with my Remington 700 SS 5R looked upon removing the action.
You can see that the "over-spray" broke loose and slid down upon torquing the screws. Both sides are similar.
I believe that this is the cause of the horizontal stringing I was getting as the tang was NOT solidly "planted" in this stock.
-
e915155349677ba34abcc032a82cfb25.jpg

-
Here is a photo of the same area, after the "overspray" has been removed, and points of contact between the action steel and aluminum bedding were increased by scraping/seating. NOTE: The areas of contact between the steel action tang and this triangular aluminum area in the stock are quite small.
I am seriously dissapointed in the "match" that is SUPPOSED to be a "drop-in".
From MY experience, I would tend to agree with Guy Miner as I feel that he has explained the real world of mass production quite well.
-
170bc17ea680b76a04814f592974c8a2.jpg

-
Feel free to get with me if you would like further info on the work that was done to seat this action into the stock.
My Brother-in-law arrived from his deer hunt Sunday evening, and we will be testing the results of this stock work next weekend good Lord willing.
After testing the results, I will add an update as to whether good, bad or no difference is obtained by this attempt to increase the accuracy of this gun.
-
If this gun won't shoot better than it has, I will be adding bedding to the H. S. Precision or possibly selling it and buying an Accuracy International stock.
(another "drop-in") :shock:
-
USAFblue

Back