Handgun Scope Magnification

Larry in SD

Handloader
Nov 8, 2004
As some of you may or may not know I just recently acquired a Stainless-Steel T/C Contender (per G2) Frame with 4 Stainless-Steel Super 14 Barrels. The Barrels are:

.22 LR Match
.223 Remington
7-30 Waters
.45 Colt / .410 Vent Rib

I have two 3x12x Burris LER Handgun Scopes, one for the .22 LR Match and one for the .223 Remington.

I am going to be needing to buy a Handgun Scope for the 7-30 Waters in the not to distant future.

What Scope Magnification are you Handgun Hunters using?

The reason I ask is that in the years since 1982 when I first started hunting with Speciality Pistols I have used quite a variety of Handgun Scopes, both fixed and variable. For the most part of all the Whitetails I have shot with Speciality Pistols that had variable scopes on them, to the best of my recollection I had the scope set on 4x about 90% of the time.

The reason I am asking is I have the opportunity to buy a used 4x Leupold EER Handgun Scope and am wondering if it is going to be enough for a 14" 7-30 Waters?

Thanks

Merry Christmas to one and all.

Larry

Larry, I've been shooting a Competitor arms 30.06 Single shot and I've found that the Burris 2X7 covers everything I'm going to use it for. I've found that any higher magnification causes an amount of shake that is hard to control in the field.

Sorry Larry, should have mentioned that other than for sighting in I have my scope set at either three or four power. A four power is more than adequate for field work.

I have a Bushnell 2 x 7. I like the 7x for target work but like Big Rifle Man I never have it above 4x for hunting.

Long

My 7x30 Waters wears a Nikon Monarch 2.5-8 and my 6.5 JDJ wears a Burris 2-7. Both always seem to be set at 4x when hunting.

JD338

Thanks guys. I may just buy the 4x Leupold EER Handgun Scope for $200.00 and give it a try.

Larry

I ran a 4X Redfield on my 7mm Rem Mag for years, never thought I needed more until I started really reading hunting magazines. Can't think it would be too awful on a pistol! Scotty

I ended up picking up a used Burris 2x7x32mm LER Handgun Scope off of another site. I am thinking i am also going to buy the 4x28mm Leupold EER Handgun Scope that was offered to me also. Heck I will find something to use it on even if I have to buy a new Handgun.

Larry

Back