Hard Ball Ammo

Any of you fellas ever read the words of wisdom from Clint Smith?

Goes something along the lines of "a 1911 was designed to run on 230 gr FMJ ball ammunition.That's all Mr.John Moses Browning had to work with at the time. Not the latest and greatest "fight stopper" but it will work if you put them where ya need to.Don't have to believe me,ask your grandad who served in combat with one;he'll tell ya the truth"

I have been carrying a 1911 for 30 years now,long before we ever had CHL permits in Tx.Never seen one that wouldn't run on hardball but I've had a bunch that wouldn't feed hollowpoints and wadcutter type ammo.

Couple of years ago I bought a Kimber TLEII.It will feed anything.
For Fathers Day last year the wife and kids bought me a Kimber Pro Carry as a present.It will also feed anything.
My carry loads are Winchester SXT 230s.

Sitting right beside me right now is a Remington 870 loaded with #4 buckshot.There are 5 rounds of #00 and slugs in an elastic shell holder on the rear stock.
Ten feet away is a Romanian AK with 31 123 grain HPs.

That "racking the slide noise" everybody refers to is only gonna happen after the first load of #4 buck has hit the intruder.

My Eclipse Ultra would not reliably feed and JHP ammo, so I practiced with harball (Winchester white box) and loaded the first round in the clips with JHP 200 gr. Everything else was hardball. This is my history with SS Kimber's. This is a history of 8 years and 2000 rounds throught the pistol. Mine is gone a year now and my son has the aluminum Kimber. I haven't missed it at all. I went back to the USFA Bisley, 4-1/2 inch, .45 Colt, feel pretty safe and don't worry to much about about using 225 gr JHP Silvertips for defense. They always work.

Back