Hawk Bullets

I managed to find a bunch at a local gunshop.... guess I should be greatful.

Shoot one into some water jugs and you will see for yourself that the 200 gr RNCL is a pretty good bullet.

JD338

Here's a review from a forum Alaska shooting forum....

They're clones of the original Barnes bullets with heavy, pure copper jackets and soft lead cores. I've shot the Barnes, followed by the Hawks once Barnes got distracted, for 50 years. Over 3k MV, they're still great for longer shooting but getting soft for shots inside 100 yards. Hold your MVs below 3k and they'll give superb performance anywhere you cut hair. Lots of expansion, but great weight retention so they still penetrate well. Over all the years of using them, I've managed to recover only a very few bullets. In my estimation, the toughest cup and core bullet out there, but still a cup and core with all bars against super high vel impacts.

And here's Barnes description on their site......

This was the bullet that started it all. Produced by pressure-forming pure copper tubing around a pure lead core, this highly reliable bullet was the first custom bullet available to American handloaders. Introduced in 1939, it was long the favorite of professional hunters who demanded performance they could depend on, each and every time. On impact, Barnes's Original bullets typically expand to more than 200 percent of their original diameter and retain 70 to 90 percent of their original weight.

I have a Rem 760 .35 Rem made in 1978. I have loaded and shot Rem 200gr CL, Speer 180 gr FP Horn 180gr SSP (no longer made) and used factory Horn 200 gr Flex Tip. All of them chambered fine no issues. None used on bear all on deer. The Rem CL are great if you can find them. Friend of mine used to say they left a blood trail a blind man could follow. The Speer did well maybe not as big an exit hole but enough. The Horn Flex Tip is the real deal on whitetails. Great expansion little flatter trajectory with a case full of Lever. Don't know how big a bear your after but one of these would take care of what we have here in WV. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":33c6v2n4 said:
I have a Rem 760 .35 Rem made in 1978. I have loaded and shot Rem 200gr CL, Speer 180 gr FP Horn 180gr SSP (no longer made) and used factory Horn 200 gr Flex Tip. All of them chambered fine no issues. None used on bear all on deer. The Rem CL are great if you can find them. Friend of mine used to say they left a blood trail a blind man could follow. The Speer did well maybe not as big an exit hole but enough. The Horn Flex Tip is the real deal on whitetails. Great expansion little flatter trajectory with a case full of Lever. Don't know how big a bear your after but one of these would take care of what we have here in WV. Dan.

Well, it's not the size I am after... but if the size is big like the one in the picture, then I'd like to be prepared,.. with the right bullet. I know shot placement is key, but one that can hold up to obstacles helps too. There is another picture I looked for high and low of 6 men carrying that bruin out of the woods with ropes and logs on thier shoulders. I don't have that luxury. Field dressing in heavy cover, and dragging it out isn't my idea of a victory hunt...kinda kills it, know what I mean?

FOTIS":974sck2j said:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=11&Number=2283492&Searchpage=1&Main=182937&Words=%26quot%3Bhawk+bullets%26quot%3B&topic=0&Search=true#Post2283492

Did you or did you not load 10% below start ?

Alot of guys do things they should and blame it on something else rather than themselves.

There's alot more praise with these bullets across the board then criticism.

I never personally experienced bullet jacket separation in the barrel. Other guys did a 24-hour campfire and other places that I have read about them and one guy almost lost an eye. I started 10 % below the minimum and somewhere in the middle all of the charges )in the Nosler book I started seeing pressure signs). Instead of getting close 3000 feet per second in my 378 Weatherby with a 300 gr or 3100 feet per second with a 270 grain round-nose with the .035 in jacket I was only getting about 2850 and that was my Max. That to me was unacceptable for a 378 Weatherby because I usually get close to 3200 feet per second with a 270 grain bullet. This was about 15 years ago so I just dropped the whole project and when with the 260 grain AccuBond and 270 grain ttsx accuracy with the Hawk bullets was abysmal 3 in Plus @100 yards.

Again take this with a grain of salt. We are talking a 378 WBY and 356 Win as opposed to smaller cartridges. and this is a personal experience.

Oh trust me.... I will take like a grain of salt, Mr. 200 fps more Fotis ! LOL

Nothing personal bro !

But yeah the smaller low velocity hard hitting brush cartridges are no issue with Hawk bullets, yes.

But if you can sacrifice a couple of hundred feet per second I'm sure these bullets can oblige ! Ya Think?

Who knows what the guy did to cause his eye injury..... scope eye relief, is MOST LIKELY the culprit, I would think. And as far as jacket separation, most likely pushing the envelope, like so many guys do........ isn't in my practice or experience. I don't play with fire.

Who knows what the guy did to cause his eye injury..... scope eye relief, is MOST LIKELY the culprit, I would think

...that happened to me, destroyed the rifle and left me with a life long eye injury. Core squirted out of the jacket but the jacket remained in the barrel. I wouldn't suggest Hawk bullets :)

Does not sound like eye relief......

slickrem":15nsl0es said:
Oh trust me.... I will take like a grain of salt, Mr. 200 fps more Fotis ! LOL

Nothing personal bro !

But yeah the smaller low velocity hard hitting brush cartridges are no issue with Hawk bullets, yes.

But if you can sacrifice a couple of hundred feet per second I'm sure these bullets can oblige ! Ya Think?

Probably, and I would IF the bullets offered me something special that I could not better by using a TTSX or an AccuBond or a PT......
But they do not.... especially for a long range elk rifle.

ya definitely have a Higher BC..... with Accubonds for sure.

But we know that a magnum is designed to maintain velocity/energy at extended ranges.

As I read an Old American Rifleman mag from 65'... written by Les Bowman..

"The 150 Grain .270 winchester bullet starts slower at the muzzle than 130's but takes off past 200 yards"

Back