Hawkeye 30-06 is beginning to tighten up!!!!!!

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Well, the Hawkeye is beginning to tighten up it's groups. Takes a little more shooting to get a cold forged barrel to begin give you it's stuff and this one is getting there and starting to let go for me. It still has a ways to go but things are looking up. Here is todays four groups using AA2495 (was able to reach 2800fps 165gr bullet).

IMG_8125.jpg

IMG_8224.jpg

IMG_8223.jpg

IMG_8222.jpg

IMG_8221.jpg

Bullet,

You ought to be very happy with that, defiantly a MOD (Minute of Deer) rifle!!!!

Nice shooting and thanks for sharing....

Rod

Good shooting bullet, she's starting to really tighten up. I'm thinking a few more rounds and you will find the sweet spot. :grin:

nodak7mm":1ne3qid4 said:
Bullet,

You ought to be very happy with that, defiantly a MOD (Minute of Deer) rifle!!!!

Nice shooting and thanks for sharing....

Rod

Thanks, I think I am getting close to this barrel working in. It is good to hunt with right now but I really want to get this out of the box Hawkeye to shoot like my 358Win Hawkeye and I believe I will get there.

GB300wm":5fhle568 said:
Good shooting bullet, she's starting to really tighten up. I'm thinking a few more rounds and you will find the sweet spot. :grin:

Yeah, you right Jerry, the sweet spot is not to far off in the future. :)

Try some 180 Ballistic tips. That was my go to bullet in my 30-06's. Works from antelope to elk.

POP":2wyh3obp said:
Try some 180 Ballistic tips. That was my go to bullet in my 30-06's. Works from antelope to elk.

I am, I just need to order some, I am out of the 180gr BT's but have some 180gr Patitions. I think I have a few 165gr BT's left. At some point this thing will really start shooting and I will have proved my hunch about this Hawkeye.

Those are definitely good hunting loads. I have looked at several of your targets and your groups seem to have one that is always just out from the rest imo. I'm thinking a good bedding job and lastly playing with the seating depth would probably shrink those groups down quick.

YoteSmoker":o1qlpej9 said:
Those are definitely good hunting loads. I have looked at several of your targets and your groups seem to have one that is always just out from the rest imo. I'm thinking a good bedding job and lastly playing with the seating depth would probably shrink those groups down quick.

I am going to give it about 50 more rounds and if it keeps happening I will have to do that.

I will be going again this week and I am testing one powder at a time. This time it will be H4350, win brass, 210 pirmers behind 165gr Speer Flat base sp, 165gr BT, 165gr Sierra HPBT, 168gr Barnes TSX and 180gr Sierra Flat Base sp. We shall see.

Back