head space, bolt problem, and a "shoulder bump"?

cloverleaf":v9jv3k3t said:
Got a call from Dad a little while ago- About 1/6 a turn of the Die and the cases re-sized just fine. Dies were set w/o a case in them. Perhaps having a case in, put just enough tension on the reloader to take up some slack and thereby not re-sizing the case far enough. CL

You have me a bit confused. " Dies were set w/o a case in them." means what?? How is it possible to set up a resizing die with the case in the die?

Sizing Dies should be set without a case in them. A seating die is usually set with the case in for COL.

Maybe I didnt describe correctly how the y were initially set up. In any event, "ol Joe" described the eventual solution in his post above, at least as far as I can figure out with out looking at the situation in person. (Dad and the dies are 250 miles away) Ol' Joe noted, "Adding 1/8 or so more turn to your die after screwing it down to contact with the shellholder with ram at top-dead-center will make up for the spring in the press and allow the case to go farther into the die. Try screwing the die down until touching and check the die/shellholder contact when sizeing a case. You`ll see a slight gap between them. Add 1/8 turn more depth to the die and the gap will disapear. RCBS, in there instructions, request you use this method when ajusting their FL dies to resize. I have found often seating the sizer to just touch the shellholder with a case from a fairly tight chambered rifle won`t allow the die to contact the shoulder of the case. Further sizeing is sometimes required to set the shoulder back enough to get smooth chambering with out bolt resistance." Thats what did it. Thanks again for the replies. This is why this kind of info and experience is a neat thing. Thanks Nosler! CL

Hey, just glad to hear that the old 250 will be banging speedgoats again in the near future, rather than gathering dust!

Back