Heavier 257 AB; better BC

Frank.... I hear you, but it just isn’t going to happen. Like I referenced above regarding the .277 150 LRAB.... once you get close to the edge in stabilization, the BC drops. This has been shown several times... most recently in an article involving two .22-250’s; one a 1-8” twist, the other a standard 1-14” twist. Every bullet fired in the 1-8” had a higher measured BC than the exact same bullet, at the same velocity, out of the 1-14”. The difference is small, until you get into the 60+ grain bullets, and then you can see how the lack of RPMs effects the BC, even though the groups look fine. It’s easy to assume that because the load/billet is accurate, that it’s stable and you’re getting the full BC.... but you’re not.

Let say we built a .25 115grain ABLR... nearly identical to the 115 Berger... maybe a touch longer to try and eek out that last little bit of BC trying to get to .500. If you shot it in a 1-8” barrel... it’d probably get that full .500.... but in a standard 1-10”, it’s probably going to be more like .450.... because it’s just barely “stable”. Add low pressure/altitude, and some cold weather... and you could lose it all together.

Here’s a personal example. We bought two identical Tikka .243s (1-10” twist), one for my brother who lives in CA at about 500’ elevation.... and one for myself, I live at about 5000’ elevation. I built a load for them both here in CO that hammered 105 HPBTs (.500ish BC) into 1/2 MOA groups at 500 yards. We were stoked, as both rifles shot this load like a champ. We loaded up 50 for each gun and my brother headed back to CA with rifle in tow. About a week later he called me all kinds of frustrated.. that same rifle/load wouldn’t hit a piece of paper at 100 yards. Once he got down in altitude, the 1-10” wouldn’t stabilize the 105s. Mine was fine... until it got below about 20*, then I had some issues too. Just barely stable can look like everything is fine... until some variables change slightly... then you can be in trouble.

That’s why about .450 is all you’re gonna get in a 1-10” .25 cal barrel. Because there needs to be a little wiggle room, just to make sure it really is stable, under a broad range of circumstances.

Make sense?

Why are you guys saying that you're limited to a 1 in 10 twist? I know that at least one barrel maker(Bartlein) and I'm sure there are others that will do whatever twist you want. Their webpage says they charge an extra $20 and its probably a 6 month wait though. Make the bullets and the barrels will come. You can already get them...

desertcj":2vcfjc00 said:
Why are you guys saying that you're limited to a 1 in 10 twist? I know that at least one barrel maker(Bartlein) and I'm sure there are others that will do whatever twist you want. Their webpage says they charge an extra $20 and its probably a 6 month wait though. Make the bullets and the barrels will come. You can already get them...

You’re limited to 1-10” in FACTORY rifles.... which is 99% of the rifles out there.

If you want to go to a custom pipe, the options are endless.

But, if you’re going to a custom barrel... why in the world would a guy build a 1-8” twist .25 caliber anything? There are only a couple boutique bullet options in .25 that get you into the weight/BC range that’s readily available (and much cheaper) in either 6mm or 6.5mm.

That’s the point.... and that’s why you’ll never see a factory produced 125 grain .25 cal billet with a .580 BC.

Songdog":32ym3rxp said:
desertcj":32ym3rxp said:

You’re limited to 1-10” in FACTORY rifles.... which is 99% of the rifles out there.

If you want to go to a custom pipe, the options are endless.

But, if you’re going to a custom barrel... why in the world would a guy build a 1-8” twist .25 caliber anything? There are only a couple boutique bullet options in .25 that get you into the weight/BC range that’s readily available (and much cheaper) in either 6mm or 6.5mm.

That’s the point.... and that’s why you’ll never see a factory produced 125 grain .25 cal billet with a .580 BC.

Good question. I'm not into 25 cals and I can smoke them all with an .800 bc 7mm...

Songdog... thanks for expanding the facts beyond previous mentioned items. The diminishing BC with a barely stabilized bullet/twist is something I ve read on before. Bryan Litz has some good info on that. My thoughts probably didn't put enough weight into the diminishing bore size of the 25. Thinking a 277 can approach 500 BC with 10 twist but it's .020 larger bore diameter.

If competition shooters ever get their custom rifles and high BC custom bullets winning matches that's probably the only way we might see production rifles in 25 cal change; and right now those 25 s are way behind the 6mm s !!

Good discussion though and hopefully lots of us are better informed.

Guess I ll just keep the 110 AB s and 115 BT s sailing out of the Weatherby at the 3350-3425 fps I m getting. lol

frankm":16m126ca said:
Guess I ll just keep the 110 AB s and 115 BT s sailing out of the Weatherby at the 3350-3425 fps I m getting. lol

Those will certainly work!!

Here’s where the fast twist 6mm’s do really make a whole lot of sense vs. the .25’s:

115 NBT @ 3350 (via 26” .257 Roy I presume)
Vs.
108 ELD @ 3030 (via 20” 6mm Creed)

Using the Dopler verified BCs of .399 for the NBT, and .536 for the ELD

At 500 yards they are both traveling 2300 fps, the 115 is a minute flatter (6.7 vs 7.7 MOA), the 115 carries and extra 105 FPE (1380 vs. 1275), and the 108 drifts .7 MOA less (2.4 vs 3.1 MOA).

That seems like kind of a dead-heat.... when it comes to performance. But, it takes the Roy about 65 grains of powder and a 24-26” barrel to get only slightly more than a little 20” 6mm can produce with only 42 grains of powder.

If they ever do come out with a .525 BC bullet in .25 cal, that will stabilize in a 1-10” twist... it’ll turn the .257 Roy into a whole ‘nuther animal!

I grappled with the same dilemma with my 250 Sav AI. Great cartridge but I wanted to have a LR capability.

Eventually I sold it and grabbed a 1-7” twist 243AI barrel. I can now shoot the 110g SMK with a BC of around .610. Or as a mainstay for targets and hunting, the 105g BTHP Hornady with around .530.

It’s the closest I’ve got to the best of both worlds.

frankm":1tyhe5le said:
Fotis, your question hits the nail on the head ... how many?

Seems to me that Nosler and others believe the answer to be " not enough"..

I just wish an engineer / bullet design guy would tell us how much longer and how much heavier of a bullet could be designed THAT would WORK with the std 1-10 twist?? Then a fair determination could be estimated of sales volume. Seems a lot like the chicken or egg first on what bullet could they do for a 1-10 twt 25 caliber!

I keep hoping!!

Me too. My 257 Bee and really benefit from a high BC bullet. I can get 3700 fps from a 100 gr TTSX (although I run them at 3550 fps) but after 200 yards........ :(

You guys have made me do some thinking and if my memory doesn't fail me it seems that all the .257 caliber cartridge designs started life in a 1-12" twist barrel and it was decided long ago the .257 was a great varmint caliber so long heavy for caliber bullets weren't considered or wanted at the time. Now the rave is for long range bullets in all calibers and the barrel makers are making the barrels to accommodate the market but the bullet makers can't keep up with the demand probably due to expense of new machines and tooling. All you have to do is look at the new custom bullet market that has beat the brand name bullets to the punch in this market.
The 6.5/.264 will eventually kill off the .257 caliber cartridges which is gaining in popularity is well established.

Lots of barrel makers have 25 cal in faster twists now. In fact some are recommending a 1 in 9 twist to shoot the current 120's.
Some bullet makers with high bc; s like blackjack.
25 Creedmoor and 25-47 are starting to get looks as they kick less than 6.5 and have better barrel life than 6.

No reason people won't want to split the difference between metric calibers. Use a real American caliber the quarter inch!

Maybe Barnes will resurrect their quick twist line with 1 in 5.5 twist bullets.

Just found this post on fast twist 25-06 and 131 grain bullet.----

"We just tested our 25-06 Blackjack set up to run the 131 ACE's as stated above. Rem 700 LA, 1:7" Xcaliber 25" st. palma barrel, Magpul 700 stock, Jewell trigger.

Using Lapua 30-06 brass necked down with a .284 bushing and CCI BR4 primers. This testing was done with NO barrel break in so these were the first rounds down the barrel. I expect the velocities to shift upward 40-60 fps after 150-200 rounds.

RL26 54.8g = 3137fps (was the last charge shot before any pressure signs)
We ran it up to 56g netting 3225 fps but pressure was high.

Retumbo 58.9g = 3208 fps (was the last charge shot before any pressure signs)
We ran it up to 59.8g 3280fps but again, it was a very hot load"
https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/2 ... 466/page-3

"

Songdog":2wgqdwke said:
frankm":2wgqdwke said:

Those will certainly work!!

Here’s where the fast twist 6mm’s do really make a whole lot of sense vs. the .25’s:

115 NBT @ 3350 (via 26” .257 Roy I presume)
Vs.
108 ELD @ 3030 (via 20” 6mm Creed)

Using the Dopler verified BCs of .399 for the NBT, and .536 for the ELD

At 500 yards they are both traveling 2300 fps, the 115 is a minute flatter (6.7 vs 7.7 MOA), the 115 carries and extra 105 FPE (1380 vs. 1275), and the 108 drifts .7 MOA less (2.4 vs 3.1 MOA).

That seems like kind of a dead-heat.... when it comes to performance. But, it takes the Roy about 65 grains of powder and a 24-26” barrel to get only slightly more than a little 20” 6mm can produce with only 42 grains of powder.

If they ever do come out with a .525 BC bullet in .25 cal, that will stabilize in a 1-10” twist... it’ll turn the .257 Roy into a whole ‘nuther animal!

Of course a better comparison would be using a 115 Berger or 110 ELDX but yes the 1-10 twist limits things a good bit. Right now I use my Lipsey Ruger #1 .257Wea. with a 28" barrel as a point and shoot rifle out to 450 or so (great for that) & if further out I would rather use a 6.5 cal than a 6mm for terminal effect on game animals but that is a personal preference, not saying anyone would need to.

Back