Heavy flat bottom skillet

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
We have one of those annoying flat top glass stoves. I've found that heavy, flat bottom skillets work best. We've tried skillets and pots with grooves on the bottom, and the light flat bottom, but nothing works near as well as a heavy cast iron. But were looking to simplify with pots/pans in stainless. We had a heavy bottom Cuisinart 2 Qrt sauce pan, and that thing boiled fast! but it found a new home when my daughter moved out :cautious: The fancy pots with all the ridges and grooves take forever to boil. So looking for some suggestions. There's no kitchen or big home stores within 100 miles. All we have is wally world, and nothing there really sparks much interest. We've ordered a few pots/pans that were supposedly "heavy duty" online, but I guess the definition of "heavy duty" has been changed with the influx of Chinese steel pans. Anyway, any suggestions is appreciated.

Last edited:
Is gas an option for you?
I have always had gas. We moved into our new house 3 years ago, LP was our only source of gas.
Last fall they ran natural gas and we got the hook up this past February. We got away from LP just in time!
I do believe gas will boil water faster than electric.
We have a 5 burner gas stove and are very happy with it.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20221017_110016806_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221017_110016806_HDR.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 2
Is gas an option for you?
I have always had gas. We moved into our new house 3 years ago, LP was our only source of gas.
Last fall they ran natural gas and we got the hook up this past February. We got away from LP just in time!
I do believe gas will boil water faster than electric.
We have a 5 burner gas stove and are very happy with it.

JD338
Its an option for the misses, but the current stove was bought last year when we did a complete redo on the kitchen and replaced all the appliances, so I say its gonna have to earn its keep for a while.. ;) ...NG isn't up this way, but LP would be no issue.

Wouldn't want to ruin your wife's new stove by giving wrong advice, but we have a glass top Whirlpool stove. Is over 20 yrs old now. As far as heavy bottom skillets, ours has been making eggs in a cast iron skillet nearly every morning for most of that time. Any canning that one would normally do in the kitchen is done on it. Including a heavy bottom 16 qt pot that we make our spaghetti sauce in to can. Ours seems to be able to handle any weight you'd put on a normal stove.

When I do water bath canning or pressure canning, I do it on an outside propane cooker and just regulate the heat. Mostly because the electric is on/off, on/off.........pressure canning would take forever, and I trust it more outside.

Wouldn't want to ruin your wife's new stove by giving wrong advice, but we have a glass top Whirlpool stove. Is over 20 yrs old now. As far as heavy bottom skillets, ours has been making eggs in a cast iron skillet nearly every morning for most of that time. Any canning that one would normally do in the kitchen is done on it. Including a heavy bottom 16 qt pot that we make our spaghetti sauce in to can. Ours seems to be able to handle any weight you'd put on a normal stove.

When I do water bath canning or pressure canning, I do it on an outside propane cooker and just regulate the heat. Mostly because the electric is on/off, on/off.........pressure canning would take forever, and I trust it more outside.
Yep the heavy ones work best. Problem is, aside from cast iron, we can't find any that are heavy enough. I can't figure it out aside from it has something to do with the weight and it has to sit absolutely flat on the eye. It has some safety feature that the eye won't come on unless there is a pot/pan on it. I think that it has trouble sensing the lighter stuff because we have one of those really thin stock pots, but when its full of water the stove heats it pretty quick. Our cast iron heats up fast. Thin/light stuff takes forever to heat up. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but here we are LOL. Her sister has a set of Cuisinart that she says are heavy what she's looking for, were going to borrow a few and see how they do.

Back