Help loading .308 for Win model 100

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
My son purchased a Winchester model 100 and asked me to work up a load for it using a 165 gr bullet. That kind of leaves things wide open. From what I've read the model 100 isn't a tack driver. I did acquire a set of RCBS .308 small base dies several years ago but have never used them. Does anyone on the forum have experience loading for a model 100 or another brand of semi-auto in .308? I'm thinking powders like 4895, Varget or TAC may be a good place to start but would like to hear from those with more experience.

Varget is a good place to start, make sure you use a crimp for the semi auto. Some people don't use a crimp but increases neck tension so the bullets do not creep in/out in the magazine under recoil while firing.

For 165 grain bullets, loads with Varget is great from 43 to 45 grains, but work up and check for pressure.

Good luck

I load for an AR10 and use quite a bit of 168 gr Hornady match bullets and Accubonds..Varget is always a good choice..I have taken a personal preference to H4895..I use a Lee factory crimp die for all my AR loads...Either should get you quite respectable groups....I have a pound of BL-C(2) that I use in my .223, but I've been hearing its also very good in 308, so I may start testing out later on.

grry10":2j8kjvgh said:
From what I've read the model 100 isn't a tack driver.

Cool rifle. A buddy of mine dropped a huge muley about 4 years ago with his late father's M100 using a 150 NBT over Varget. I'd agree on the crimping, and, yes, a SB sizing die is smart. He's not shot 165's out of it, but I'd suspect a mid-burn rate powder would work. Good luck.....and this buddy greatly approved his groups after he glass-bedded the forend tip.

Back