Here my rifle

BuddyT

Beginner
Dec 9, 2012
I made my 1st post in the sections where the newbie introduce themselves a couple of weeks ago. Been a longtime reader and even took me a while to introduce my self after I join. Dr. Mike ask for some pics of my rifle so here it is . Here's some of the groups it will shoot if I do my part, the 1st was shot on my range behind the house, it's only 88 yards as I had to give up 10 yard to put the pool in for the wife. The next was shot at a range in Bryant Ar. A friend of mine is a member and he was doing the spotting for my that day. It was shot at 600 yds, I didn't take the backing off the shoot & see target because the backer board was all shot up, so I just staple the target up. Well the target didn't splatter like it was suppose to and we couldn't see the impacts. I shot 3 time at the center and Bruce said he thought I was shooting left. So the next 2 shots were held at 3 o'clock on the edge of the paper. Well we were suprise when we got to the target. Anyway I thought ya'll might enjoy.
BuddyT

Very nice looking rifle; you've got it looking quite handsome. For sure, it is putting the bullets where you want them. I can't imagine it will be anything other than effective in the field for you. Very nice.

Welcome Buddy, your custom Ruger does look like it shoots quite well, congrats. What caliber is it in, 7mm RM? Burning 63.5 gr of RL22 it has to be a decent size gun.

Thanks Doc.

Gerry, It's a 280 AI, I'm now shooting 62.5 grs. My 1st pound of Rl-22 was just a little slower than the 5lb jug that I bought. At 63.5 the pimer pocket were starting to open up. Now with 62.5 and a 139 gr SST she running around 3150. She was running a little over 3200 with the 63.5 gr loads, but brass woulding last long.

BuddyT

Nice :) 3150 fps with a bullet as sleek as the 139 gr SST is going to fly flat. You will fit well here, there are quite a few guys shooting 280 AI here.

Buddy, welcome to the forum! Nice .280AI Ruger and accurate too. Should serve you well for whatever you hunt with it.

Buddy

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking Ruger for sure. The 280 AI is impressive and the 139-140 gr bullets at 3200 fps
shoots pretty flat. RL22 is my go to powder for my 280 AI.
Take a look at the 150 gr ABLR. I'm pushing them at 3100 fps from a 24" barrel.

JD338

Nice shooting Buddy and welcome :mrgreen: I am originally from Camden, Arkansas myself had to leave when old Slick Willy was elected Governor and that is a mighty fine target board and you have for sure been doing your part! How many white tails ya get this year?

Any .280 is a great 280!! Very nice looking rifle. I really like the wood laminate stock. What barrel did you have put on it and what length??

David

Thanks to all. Here is the description of my rifle from the other post.
Well that enough about me, now about my rifle is's a Ruger m77 mkii, restocked with a Richards Mico Fit stock, Timmey tigger, rebarreled with a McGowen 26" barrel in 280 Ackley Improved with a Dougals number 7 taper. Shoots 139 gr Hormady SST real well, with 62.5 gr. of RL-22 last 10 shots avg 3169, with a extreme spread of 38 fps. That's with new Nolser brass and CCI 200 primers, right now bullet depth is .025 off lands and will group around a 1/2 moa at 200 yds when the nut behind the but does his job.
Oh by the way I did all the work on the rifle including the rebarrel, McGowen has short chamber barrels so I order 1 and rent the reamers, go gage and no go gage. Built a barrel vice and on the flat sided ruger you can used a real big crescent like 24 " big. Use a depth gage to determine that I had .003 crush factor. Put it together and the go gage went in fine and the no go gage didn't. Don't know if that will happen on the next one or not, so maybe I just got lucky. Cost was around 350 to 360 for barrel and renting the reamer and gages. So to answer somebody question in a thread about rebarreling cost, yes it can be done relativity cheap.
Here is a pic for the 1st whitetail I got with the 280 AI. and how much he weighted That may not be a big deer for some places, but in south Arkansas that's a nice one. Most deer down south weight around 130 to 150 in south Arkansas. That deer was killed last year, this year I got 2 does and a small 6 point, had a 8 point frame , but no eye guards.
Hogwild since you left Arkansas the deer population has exploded, we now have over a million deer. South Arkansas limit is 6 deer, only 2 bucks, but can take 6 does if wanted.

Thanks
BuddyT

Buddy

Nice rifle and great shooting. Went back and read your introduction. thanks for serving.

JohnB

Very nice rifle and it looks like an awesome bunch of work you put into it! Way to go!

Buddy I am well aware of the deer population as my BIL runs a lease just behind Lockheed Martin's Multiple launch Rocket Manufacturing Building in East Camden and has for years! The total white tail count is around 90 and he eats deer steak year round :mrgreen: they have a double wide trailer for the deer camp which is mighty nice, lotta great card games and dice being thrown in the evenings when the liquor lamp is turned on :lol: he used to have a old blue mule named Buck that was in charge of dragging the deer back to camp but old buck passed on a few years back ! Now they have to drag and lift without old Buck ! Might have to try my luck next year down in that spot as I have too many sharp blades that need dulling ! Nice tack driver ya got and good luck not shooting the barrel out ! WPS :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum Buddy..... sharp looking rifle, Looks as good as it shoots! The stock design looks a little like a laminated Sako A5 I had years ago only it didn't have the Weatherby slanted fore end tip like your does. Who did the gun work?

longrangehunter,
I did all the work on the rifle. It started out as 25-06, manufacture in 1991, it was one of the 1st mark II rifle made, it does not have control round feed. I don't know how many where produce with out the crf, but it was an advertised as a new feature for the mark II. Ruger out source their barrels at that time. That is the reason that ruger had a reputation of either shooting good and not. I bought the Timney trigger and pillared bed the rifle. Would never shoot consisance for one year to another. I then order the Richard microfit stock, because i could feel stock flex at the fore arm and felt that a laminate stock would be stiffer. It is a Custom rollover style with a 2 1/2" wide verminter forearm in camouflage laminate. It is what they call a 97% fit. I had to do the final fitting and finish the stock, took about 3 weeks working after I got home from work. It has 8 coats of BrichwoodCasey Tru-oil on it. Before I decided to change barrels, I ran the Berry Tubbs final finish bullets through the barrel, that move my lands .130" deeper than before. That is when I checked on the avaiblity of a short camber barrel, Brownells had some at one time, and then McGowen started avertising that they had short chamber barrels. Read up on it, Bryce Towsley's Gunsmithing Made Easy is a excellent read, and decided that I could do it myself. I built a barrel vice and used a 24" crecent wrench, since ruger are flat sided, you don't need a action wrench. I rented a reamer, go gage and nogo gage from 4d reamed. A friend of mine had a depth mircometer, I check all the spec, and with a .003" crush factor the barrel was a perfect fit. I didn't have to hand ream the barrel at all.
If there ia any thing else you want to know just let me know and I'll do my best to answer it.
Thanks
BuddyT

Back