hodgdon superformance powder and 30-06

Its been so long since I ran any through the hoops; but I seam to remember getting 2850fps nearly 30 years ago; with just 52 grains of 4064; and the old Nosler Solid Base 165gr bullets from a 22" barrel??? These powders are starting to remind me of Fly Lines; every year they make them 30 % better with modern finishes that are soposed to outperform the old lines by a mile ???????????? From what I see outta about around a hundred different fly rods, in my canoe each summer, they dont look like they can cast 2 feet further than they could, 40 years ago with an old AirCel line from the 1970's! We shot bears with the same Nosler Partitions we all use today over 30 years ago ............. is anything really that much better than it was??????? The have soposedly made radios a hundred times better than they were in the 1950s; but when I try the latest Grundig Sat radio against my Dads old Zenith TransOceanic we still have at the lodge that is going on 50 years old and still works flawlessly; there isnt ten cents worth of difference...................... this marketing is a great thing!

Just found these old notes from the early 80s for loading the 06..........

My favorite load was the 52 grs of 4064 and a 165gr bullet. This note say 2900fps from my rifle.

180 gr loads were three................ 56gr/4350 49gr/4064 50.3gr/4895 all showed 2775fps
notes say Bob Hagel says that 59gr of MRP shows 2850 and that N205 will crack 2900??? hum?
not to sure about that Bob; but maybe..........

>>>>A favorite load for the 200gr Nosler was 59.5 grs of 4350 @2650fps<<<<<<

And the load I couldnt remember; that I used to carry in the gun when I was packing meat incase I had a showdown with a brown bear for who was going to eat it was the old Barnes 250gr RN and 50grs of 4350 at 2300fps!

Accurite loads were 60 grs of 4831 and 55grs of HP-100 with a 165 gr bullet; both were less than MOA in that rifle.......
Thats what used to be the tricked out loads from the early 80's so I wonder how much better they really are today.............
I marked down a 10 shot string of 165gr Nosler Solid Bases fired in front of 52 grs of 4064 powder in the notes from August of 1983 in Hamilton Montana gunclub using their commerical chronograph that avged them at 2911fps! From my Styer Manlicher Professional; with a 23 1/2"or something like that, metric lenght barrel. Do they really have anything better than that in todays combos???

You guys said it all. We have been exposed to sales and marketing of today for increased sales to Powder Manufacturers. I achieved what I set out to accomplish when developing the 165 Ballistic Tip load for the 30-06 last year. I wanted 2800 fps and tight groupings. I got 2840 fps and have shot several groups at .442, I will still tinker with Ramshot Hunter somewhat just because I'm curious. But I will take the Extreme Powders over Ball Powders any day.

PS You should have seen the hole the 165 Ballistic Tip tore in the neck of the Doe I shot in Dec. at 60yds. :mrgreen:
Now why would I need more speed!

Don

Back