Hornady 200gr FTX,.SP

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
The other day some of us were discussing bullets, case length and such regarding the 35Rem. The question about the Hornady 200gr FTX vs SP was mentioned. I didn't have access to a jewlers saw so made do with a hacksaw. Here are the pictures of both bullets sectioned and length measured for comparison. Hard to see but doesn't appear to be much if any difference in jacket thickness. The obvious difference is the nose cavity in the FTX. Maybe someday I or someone will poke a deer with the SP to see how it performs. I know from personal experience that the FTX does fine. Dan.20230117_150347.jpg20230117_150315.jpg20230117_145908.jpg20230117_145417.jpg20230117_145313.jpg

Ha Danno! You did good for cutting those apart with a hacksaw, bet that was some work. A trick I learned after cutting apart bullets like that, if you lay them flat on sandpaper and just keep running them back and forth until they're evened up, it really cleans up and defines the edges and layers of the bullet so that any differences are a little easier to see side by side. I had to do that even when cutting apart bullets with a thin jeweler's saw.

But you could've done like I did..........I was curious myself after that discussion so I just called Hornady and selected the technical support option. Asked the gentleman specifically about the FTX and that particular bullet, is it different than the 200 SP or is it the same bullet with a rubber tip? In his words, he told me it's a completely different bullet. Different jacket, different profile, different B.C., and is designed to expand at much lower speeds. A trick they did beyond all that to get it expanding at lower velocities is they scored the inside of the jacket at the nose end so when that rubber tip is drove back it's easier to get that jacket peeling back to initiate expansion even quicker.

Now I feel like I owe you $10 in bullets because you cut those up. You're retired.........so I'm hoping your labor rate isn't too high on top of the bullet cost. :oops::D

I have experience with both of these bullets, but in 35 Whelen. 2021, I took a 2-ish year old buck with the 200 SP, loaded to mid-range velocities per the book. Result was bang-flop on a broadside shot at a bit over 100 yards. I think I actually posted about it on this forum, and I will post a link here if I did, but the short version was that it did massive damage internally on a near broad-side shot. I would prefer a more robust design on something larger than deer.
*EDIT* Link referenced above: https://forum.nosler.com/threads/my-first-and-a-lesson-or-two.42659/

This past season, I shot a doe with the 200 FTX. Results were disappointing, though still terminal. She ran ~90 yards after the shot, and the projectile lost its jacket, leading me to no end of consternation when skinning. This was a raking shot, though, and a more conventions shot/ placement likely would have been more emphatic in stopping the deer. I would also think that it should be loaded in the lower end of power for the Whelen, though in a 35 Rem, I doubt you could push it hard enough to get a jacket separation. I still have a slew of these and think they will be just fine for deer, but I will be very choosy with my shots when they are loaded.

Ha Danno! You did good for cutting those apart with a hacksaw, bet that was some work. A trick I learned after cutting apart bullets like that, if you lay them flat on sandpaper and just keep running them back and forth until they're evened up, it really cleans up and defines the edges and layers of the bullet so that any differences are a little easier to see side by side. I had to do that even when cutting apart bullets with a thin jeweler's saw.

But you could've done like I did..........I was curious myself after that discussion so I just called Hornady and selected the technical support option. Asked the gentleman specifically about the FTX and that particular bullet, is it different than the 200 SP or is it the same bullet with a rubber tip? In his words, he told me it's a completely different bullet. Different jacket, different profile, different B.C., and is designed to expand at much lower speeds. A trick they did beyond all that to get it expanding at lower velocities is they scored the inside of the jacket at the nose end so when that rubber tip is drove back it's easier to get that jacket peeling back to initiate expansion even quicker.

Now I feel like I owe you $10 in bullets because you cut those up. You're retired.........so I'm hoping your labor rate isn't too high on top of the bullet cost. :oops::D
Well, I never claimed to be very smart. Calling Hornady would have been easier for sure. I did slide those bullet halves across some emery cloth but didn't polish enough. Didn't notice the skives inside the jacket but you can see the difference in the profile. Besides it was a learning experience as I had never sectioned bullets before. Being retired I have to have some entertainment besides reloading, shooting and hunting (sometimes fishing) So keep the $10 as a down payment on your RL26:giggle: Dan.

I have experience with both of these bullets, but in 35 Whelen. 2021, I took a 2-ish year old buck with the 200 SP, loaded to mid-range velocities per the book. Result was bang-flop on a broadside shot at a bit over 100 yards. I think I actually posted about it on this forum, and I will post a link here if I did, but the short version was that it did massive damage internally on a near broad-side shot. I would prefer a more robust design on something larger than deer.
*EDIT* Link referenced above: https://forum.nosler.com/threads/my-first-and-a-lesson-or-two.42659/

This past season, I shot a doe with the 200 FTX. Results were disappointing, though still terminal. She ran ~90 yards after the shot, and the projectile lost its jacket, leading me to no end of consternation when skinning. This was a raking shot, though, and a more conventions shot/ placement likely would have been more emphatic in stopping the deer. I would also think that it should be loaded in the lower end of power for the Whelen, though in a 35 Rem, I doubt you could push it hard enough to get a jacket separation. I still have a slew of these and think they will be just fine for deer, but I will be very choosy with my shots when they are loaded.
That's a good write up of your experience with both bullets. My use of the Hornady 200gr SP in the Whelen was with 57grs Varget doing 2700 something, can't recall at the moment, shot a doe at about 40ish yds. Bang flop. Being closer distance than your kill the damage wasn't as severe as you described. Have no idea why. Nevertheless, it was fatal, and I recommend it. Have not tried the FTX in the Whelen. Saving them for the 35 Rem. Done wasted enough bullets :D Dan.

That's a good write up of your experience with both bullets. My use of the Hornady 200gr SP in the Whelen was with 57grs Varget doing 2700 something, can't recall at the moment, shot a doe at about 40ish yds. Bang flop. Being closer distance than your kill the damage wasn't as severe as you described. Have no idea why. Nevertheless, it was fatal, and I recommend it. Have not tried the FTX in the Whelen. Saving them for the 35 Rem. Done wasted enough bullets :D Dan.
Sometimes bullets do some odd things. Maybe yours was just a tougher bullet than mine, dunno; lot to lot variance? Who knows. When I shot my bear this past spring, I would have thought the bullet would have done more damage, but I think it just didn't find enough resistance to impart a huge amount of shock. Killed it dead, but I would have thought it would have been more.

Well, either way, all the best with your 35 Rem load. I'd love to see how it progresses, especially if you take something with it.

The other day some of us were discussing bullets, case length and such regarding the 35Rem. The question about the Hornady 200gr FTX vs SP was mentioned. I didn't have access to a jewlers saw so made do with a hacksaw. Here are the pictures of both bullets sectioned and length measured for comparison. Hard to see but doesn't appear to be much if any difference in jacket thickness. The obvious difference is the nose cavity in the FTX. Maybe someday I or someone will poke a deer with the SP to see how it performs. I know from personal experience that the FTX does fine. Dan.View attachment 18858View attachment 18859View attachment 18860View attachment 18861Cabin fever Dan? trout stocking has begun.......lol. thanks for report! which one shoots the best?

I know that we all like to delve into the technical side of the performance of our bullets, and try our best to compare apples to apples when doing so (e.g., velocity, impact, penetration, expansion, tissue and bone damage, distance animal travelled after the shot, etc.)...
But in the end, any animal cleanly and ethically harvested, that didn't suffer to any unnecessary extent, is the end goal. When dead is dead...is there any more performance necessary when we have placed that bullet properly in the vitals?

When harvesting game to put food on the table everyday was the prime objective, if the projectile killed the animal quickly, the effort was considered successful. Many of those subsistence hunters did not entertain themselves with the technical aspects beyond that point. They were just happy to food on the table for them and their families.

(I must admit though, that we are most likely all grateful to those that did contemplate these matters that have given us more effective and efficient firearms, ammunition and components that improved our odds of success today!)

Back