Hornady new dimention sizing die problem

corbin9191

Handloader
Dec 2, 2007
I am having trouble with my new sizing die from hornady. I had a couple store bought shells that came with the rifle when I got it so I went to shooting them off the other day. Then I brought them back and ran them through my sizing die. After I don that I stuck them into my gun to check and see if they would be hard to put them in the chamber and they are. I have to really push down on my bolt handle for it to close. Then after I finaly get the brass out of the rifle I run it through one more time and the bolt ain't as hard to push down but it is still hard. Do anyone have any idea what is going on with either the brass or the sizing die?

maybe the neck stretched, and it came into contact with the lands. then when you forced the bolt closed it got worse. was it federal brass? federal brass has always stretched the most i have found. also on once fired factory federal shells that i have tried to reload i have found them not to hold a primer tight. so i wont load any federal rifle brass.

Sounds as if either the brass needs to be trimmed, or more likely, you need to full length resize, setting the shoulder back. Ensure that you have set the shoulder back a couple of thousandths.

Are you making the press "cam over" when you push down on the handle? I've had some cases where this was necessary to resize the brass enough to chamber easily. In my experience whenever a cartridge was difficult to chamber, the shoulder has not been pushed enough. Sometimes during the sizing process, as the case walls are being sized, as the case is pushed up into the die, the shoulder will actually be pushed forward slightly. Then as the case is pushed further into the die, the shoulder will be reset to the proper dimension.

Also, as already mentioned, check the case length. If these don't help, especially with once fired brass and the same rifle, something is all out of whack!

Steve

9 times out of ten it is what was just mentioned above. The die needs to be set deeper in the press to push the shoulder back as far as possible. I have several cartridges where the press has to "cam over" as mentioned above to get enought sizing....and I even have a few where I've had to shave a bit off the top of a shellholder to get enough travel up into the die.
If you like reloading get a hornady/stoney point headspace bushing kit for your cartridges. You can set you dies so you just get .002 pushback on the shoulders which is where you want to be. Once you own the kit you will consider it a necessity on the bench.

The brass that I am shooting is Winchester brass. But I just got done taking my die apart and cleaning it and then I put it back together and now everything is working just fine and the brass are going into the chamber like they should. Thanks for everyone's help

If you do a partial FL resize, you will have to bump the shoulder after 3-4 loadings to ensure that the case will chamber. The other side of the coin is if you set back the shoulder, it may bulge and make chambering very difficult.

Glad to here you have everything working well.

JD338

I had a similar problem and I had to readjust the die to make sure that the die is almost touching the shell holder and some times I will pump them though twice that seems to fix the problem. I don't know if the die is off a little bit or not but I since I adjusted the die closer to the shell hold it seems to have fixed my problem.

Back