How about some .35's

beretzs":13z4uqpd said:
Man, what a nice bunch of 35's! Holy smokes. Seems like they are kinda coming back around to favor with more and more hunters.

Randy, hope you get a chance to try the 250gr PT's, they shoot really well in my Whelen at around 2600 and some change. Scotty
My problem is no one locally carries them and when I order online I seem to forget to add them :roll: :roll:
Iv'e tried several brands and anything in 250gr shot well, Iv'e tried a few 225gr and they all did bad 2.5"+.
It's been a while since Iv'e tried the 225gr, The NAB was not available back then so I should try them.

Randy

I've got to bump this one to the top. I can't believe with all the loonies on here no one has posted a pick of a .358 STA! I'm still waiting to see one of those.

I haven't heard/seen a 358STA on here, at least I don't remember anyone with one. It is a thumper for sure. Scotty

Scotty we got to quit talking about the 35s :) everyday I keep wanting mine more and more.I wondering if I called today to see if it is ready how they would react? Man it has already been a whole 2 weeks since I ordered it.
As you know I am kidding I can't believe the knowledge just in this thread. There are some real clever people keep it up guys I think I am starting to learn things :grin:

Blessings,
Dan

Dan besides my 270WSM I could hunt forever with my Whelen and never ask for much more. Love that cartridge alot! Scotty

I don't quite have the 270wsm but I got the baby brother 270win. I really believe with those 2 calibers you don't need anything else 8) but then again there are so many calibers and so little time :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2h6clv7n said:
I don't quite have the 270wsm but I got the baby brother 270win. I really believe with those 2 calibers you don't need anything else 8) but then again there are so many calibers and so little time :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Very very true Dan. They are good rifles to cover just about anything. Scotty

I was looking for a Savage 99 in 358 Win when I found my new Ruger Hawkeye in 358.
If a Savage version ever shows up, I will snap it up. 8)

IMG_0370_small.jpg

Last year was my first season with my BLR in 358Win and I was very happy with every aspect of it. I'm still working on loads but have a decent load using the 225gr SGK and IMR-3031. I didn't have as much success using 200gr Remington PSP and Hornady Spire points using both IMR-3031 and IMR-4064. I have another load of 200gr Rem over Varget ready to go. I just ordered some TAC powder and plan on trying some 225gr NPs with that. Hopefully I'll be at the range next week with both of these new loads.

CatskillCrawler":wgu2omay said:
IMG_0370_small.jpg

Last year was my first season with my BLR in 358Win and I was very happy with every aspect of it. I'm still working on loads but have a decent load using the 225gr SGK and IMR-3031. I didn't have as much success using 200gr Remington PSP and Hornady Spire points using both IMR-3031 and IMR-4064. I have another load of 200gr Rem over Varget ready to go. I just ordered some TAC powder and plan on trying some 225gr NPs with that. Hopefully I'll be at the range next week with both of these new loads.

That is a very nice BLR! Talk about nice wood. You got a really nice one!..

Don't forget W748 either with the 225's. I have gotten excellent results with that as well. TAC might be the best for everything though. Supposed to be very quick and accurate in the 358 with the heavier bullets. Scotty

I've handled quite a few of the stainless BLRs, none chambered in .358, however. I sold a few, but didn't have opportunity to shoot them. Those that I have shot, however, shot very well indeed. It is a handsome rifle.

It is funny that different areas use different calibers. Here in the south part of Saskatchewan. I do not have a hunting friend that shoots a 35. There is a old timer from south of Regina that mentioned to me that a 35 whelen was the end all of none magnum rifles :) and at that time I was into magnums so I purchased the whelen and kept it for about a day and a half :cry:
Now that I have done some research and done a bunch of listening which is unusual for me :wink: I will have this new one until it is passed down to one of mine :grin:
There sure are some good looking rifle out there with some impressive stats.

Blessings,
Dan

I really like the .358 BLRs. I was sort of looking for one a while back, but the Ruger Hawkeye .358 I bought kind of took the edge off my search.

beretzs":nqgybt08 said:
That is a very nice BLR! Talk about nice wood. You got a really nice one!..

Don't forget W748 either with the 225's. I have gotten excellent results with that as well. TAC might be the best for everything though. Supposed to be very quick and accurate in the 358 with the heavier bullets. Scotty

Thanks. She is pretty. I've been itching to take some steel wool to it and take the gloss off it but just can't bring myself to do it. The first time that gloss finish blows my cover though it'll be gone.

I shot two deer (broadside, double lung) last year, one each with 200gr and 225gr bullets, and both of them stiffened, buckled, and dropped. :shock:

I have almost scored this rifle in 35 Rem. It was my Grandpa's first new deer rifle. Uncles, cousins and nephews have all hunted with it. Kicks like a mule but I have a soft spot for it. An uncle of mine has it and is willing to trade a Rem 582 Rimfire I found/got for it. I still have yet to seal the deal, but have hi hopes Grandpa's 35 will be in my safe by Christmas..

Rod

Model_141_p27.jpg

Movement, rather than shine, is more likely to spook deer. I carry several stainless guns afield. I have never observed an animal shy from shine. They are alert to movement, however. Even slight movement can alert an elk or a moose.

nodak7mm":3t4jqbtf said:
I have almost scored this rifle in 35 Rem. It was my Grandpa's first new deer rifle. Uncles, cousins and nephews have all hunted with it. Kicks like a mule but I have a soft spot for it. An uncle of mine has it and is willing to trade a Rem 582 Rimfire I found/got for it. I still have yet to seal the deal, but have hi hopes Grandpa's 35 will be in my safe by Christmas..

Rod

Model_141_p27.jpg

I hope you get it ROD. That is a cool 35!

CC. The reaction the deer gave you to the 358 are the same I have witnessed. Very impressive performance and really at home in the Catskills and Adirondacks as well. Scotty

nodak7mm":3guk3r5a said:

Rod

Model_141_p27.jpg

When I was growing up my friends father had one. I think it was a 30 Remington.
It was a really fun gun and took down a lot of coyotes and jack rabbits.

Back