How about that 338 Federal?

elkslayer308

Beginner
Mar 27, 2006
I know I know, the 338-06 would whip it in a foot race any day but i just think that for the guy who hunts elk in the timber and wants a short action rifle this is pretty swell. It throws a 210 grain bullets as fast as a factory 308-180grainer will go. I like that idea. Toying with having a rebarrel job put on a rifle of mine. Hope Nosler sees fit to test and publish data for it in their new manual.

I think that the 338-06 would be a better choice, more flexable than the 338 Federal. If you are looking for a quick pointing black timber elk buster, don't forget the Remington M7600 pump in 35 Whelen and the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70. They are both thumpers.

JD338

Actually, though I have neither, I think I'd lean towards the 338 Fed for several reasons. First, there's liable to be a few factory loadings, at least initially. Second, I don't care for fireforming brass, and the few makers get quite a bit of money for 338-06 brass. Third, you need, I understand, to have the proper headstamp on cartridges you take into Africa for hunting, so fireformed 30-06 won't cut it. Finally, I really don't care for the term "A-Square" after my cartridge, though I understand that's not much of a reason.

At least I'll be interested if real people can match the marketing hype velocities. If they fail by as much as they usually do, I'll just stick with the 30-06 for Africa.

Jaywalker

338-06 factory ammo available from Weatherby.

I prefer RUM after 338 :wink:

JD338

My only niche for this round would be for a short to medium range Deer,Hog & Black Bear gun when I hunt in the thicker stuff here in AR. I
am hoping they do not come out with this in the BLR as it would be quite tempting.

nomosendero":yoschjkl said:
I am hoping they do not come out with this in the BLR as it would be quite tempting.

Wow, I hadn't thought of that rifle/ammo combination!

Andy

How about a Model 7 Stainless topped with a 1.75x6 scope. Manageable recoil, lots of thunp on short range hogs and deer. Definately will not have to worry about bullet failure, and with 180 gr NABs loaded up to 2700-2800fps would be nice.

Remember JD's post with the 338 RUM fired bullets . . . look at those 300 yard recovered bullets and there you go! Sweet performance and a wall and freezer full of game.

Now lets see if the caliber makes it.

Can I help stir the pot?? The .338 Federal is the short mag answer to the .325 WSM - in my humble opinion. It will do ok for a small following of shooters, but it will never be the .338 Win Mag or any of the other long action mag cartridges. For velocities attained with the .338 Federal why not just shoot a .308 with 165 or 180 bullets. The .308 has already proven itself and it is very accurate.

Just my two cents. Shoot straight.
Steve D. the HP

With the 200 gr AB or 210 gr PT, you will have a 300 yd short action thumper.

JD338

JD338":3ukbeieg said:
With the 200 gr AB or 210 gr PT, you will have a 300 yd short action thumper.

JD338

JD

Muzzle velocity on this dwarf is what?

In Handloader No. 177 Ken Waters had a Pet Loads article called – A Wildcat of Merit .338-08 (pg.20). … It was reprinted in Pet Loads Supplement # 9 (#21) page17.

The maximum velocities listed are as follows: 200-gr. 2,693 fps, 210-gr. 2,590 fps, 225-gr. 2,445 fps, and 230-gr. 2,337 fps.

I have a savage 99 in 308 and it is so good on elk and deer and boar for the close ranges, with a good 180 grain bullet. I would like to have that 338 federal in either a rem 742 or a savage 99 shooting a 210 or 25 grain bullet for just as our friend from Arkansas said, close range thump. And since it is a 338 instead of an 8mm or a 35, it will have a home in the USA forever!

Back