How long to wait

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
So, I sold an AR-15 lower on gun broker. The guy who won the auction chose to mail a money order. After 10 days of not getting it, I sent a very polite reminder and even said if something has come up and you need a few extra days to just let me know. Well another week of no payment and no reply to the email, this is 3 weeks by now, and had already been charged the auction fees, so I requested a cancellation and refund of auction fees. Then the guy emails with a story that the has had family drama, but would get the MO in the mail that day. Another 5 days and the envelope arrives, but its not the actual money order, he sent the stub you tear off and keep. I emailed again and its been 2 days with no reply. All said and told it's been 30 days, I want to cancel and send his Money order back if it ever arrives, but I also feel kind of bad because the stub proves he actually bought a USPS money order and the tracking number checks out legit. If I do get the money order can I send it back to him and he cancel and get refunded his money for it since I didn't endorse it? Ugh, why oh why do I have to be the nice guy....sigh*

I have a side business that is competition related.
I did have a situation a number of years ago, that had a similar ring to it...I was the nice guy too, but I stayed on task with calls and emails, and it finally all got straightened out.
You are in one of those dilemmas to where you really don't know what he will do.
I have no idea on the USPS money order...I would contact USPS and find out. Your bank may be able to tell you as well.
My guess is, you will continue to be the guy you have been.
Sorry you are going through it.
E

I have a side business that is competition related.
I did have a situation a number of years ago, that had a similar ring to it...I was the nice guy too, but I stayed on task with calls and emails, and it finally all got straightened out.
You are in one of those dilemmas to where you really don't know what he will do.
I have no idea on the USPS money order...I would contact USPS and find out. Your bank may be able to tell you as well.
My guess is, you will continue to be the guy you have been.
Sorry you are going through it.
E
I think what I'll do is give a few more days, then relist it for auction if I haven't heard anything. Then if I do get his money order I'll just cash it and buy another one to send to him as a refund. I hate being like this, but there was several people bidding on it, and I feel like they got cheated out of it.

I think what I'll do is give a few more days, then relist it for auction if I haven't heard anything. Then if I do get his money order I'll just cash it and buy another one to send to him as a refund. I hate being like this, but there was several people bidding on it, and I feel like they got cheated out of it.
Sounds more than fair to me

If you do send him a new USPS MO, send it with a signature confirmation, so you will have proof he received it.
I would also take a picture of it before you send it, and send him a copy, just so he knows you are documenting things.

Too bad people have to be that way. Your best bet IF you receive anything from him is to write “Refused return to sender” on it and send it back. Don’t open it and he’ll be on the hook for postage. He can cash his own MO if there really is one.

At this point, you don't owe this guy anything. He failed to hold up his end of the deal. Give him a bad rating on GB and move on.
Sorry you have to deal with all of HIS drama.
Just move on...

JD338

Back