How to Tichten them Up?

dwnforce

Beginner
Jan 24, 2007
My savage doesnt like the Noslers I cant get them to tighten up, would a magnum primer help? Im using h335 w/ win brass and cci 400 primers, and i still have a little way to go to the lands should i bump the bullet out to fit the mag?I do everything but turn the neck, this .223 savage is a bad a$$ but want it better..any help? I can shoot 50 vmax @ .5 groups @ 100 but about 1.25 w/ the noslers.

A primer isn't going to tighten them up that much. Go with the other ones. I like both, but would shoot the one your gun likes best.

How far are you off the lands now?
If the Hornadays are shooting that well, I'd stay with them. If not, start by finding the lands and backing off ten to fifteen thousandths.....that will generally help some...... primers generally marginal, but I'd shoot the CCI BR's if it was mine.

Try magnum primer if you're using H335. I have this problem with my 222 Remington Magnum after I run out of Federal small rifle magnum primer which was discontinued. I switched to regular primer and my load opened up. I now use CCI small rifle magnum primer and got my load back.

When a rifle is shooting a particular bullet well just be happy and buy more of them.

Keep in mind that the VMax's that I have seen have a shape like what Hornady calls or used to call the Spire Point. Such a bullet carries its full or nearly full diameter further forward than other bullets.

That hint may help you with a new seating depth for the Noslers.

I know that generally speaking the closer to the lands the better accuracy you may get, but don't some rifles/bullets prefer to be farther off the lands? I had this happen with one of my rifles.

There is one sweet spot and yes, some rifles shoot better off the lands a good ways. Some WBY mags shoot very small groups and the bullet is out of the case before it hits the lands. No rule that states the bullet has to be close to the lands. Load concentric rounds and the location of the lands is not as important.Rick.

Find the distance off the lands the Hornady bullet is loaded to and seat the BT to the same distance. You might be suprised.

All rifle bbls. are diff. Some bullets just won't shoot. If you are happy w/ the Hornady, use them. I have a .338-06 that just doesn't like any brand of 225gr bullet, so I stopped trying & just shoot the 210gr & 250gr.

rick smith":2d1w0dtu said:
Load concentric rounds and the location of the lands is not as important.Rick.

Hey Rick, by "concentric" are you talking about bullet "runout"?

Back