Hunter Powder

I just noticed I have a recipe for Norma 200 grain Oryx bullet with Hunter in the 300 WSM.

I bought some Super performance only to find out it works better with lighter bullets but Super works with 30/06 heavier bullets time to switch around powder.

The Cabela’s here near me will have items from other Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shops sent to them. They had some primers and powder sent from the Triadelphia WV Cabela’s a couple months ago. They didn’t even charge hazmat. Maybe see if they can find Hunter at another store.

The Cabela’s here near me will have items from other Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shops sent to them. They had some primers and powder sent from the Triadelphia WV Cabela’s a couple months ago. They didn’t even charge hazmat. Maybe see if they can find Hunter at another store.
I do that a lot with BPS and Cabela's. Buy powder/primers online and have shipped to a "local" store for pickup and avoid the hazmat fees. Luckily, I pass 3-4 BPS's / Cabela's weekly for work.

I just noticed I have a recipe for Norma 200 grain Oryx bullet with Hunter in the 300 WSM.

I bought some Super performance only to find out it works better with lighter bullets but Super works with 30/06 heavier bullets time to switch around powder.

I've noticed that Superformance powder is running cheaper than a lot of the other more modern powders. That's one good thing with powder availability coming back better overall, is that if a person doesn't want to pay the top dollar being put on a lot of powders at least there are substitutes.

Things like CFE 223, H380, BLC-2, even Stabal 6.5 is cheaper. That along with the Ramshot powders gives a guy some options.

30-06, 60 grains of Ramshot Hunter, 178 gr Hornady = 2860 fps with 3/4" groups from my 24" Rem 700 CDL. That seems to be pretty much a max load.

I actually backed off from that load a tad for hunting, but have taken a muley buck at 350 yards using a 180 grain Berger and the cow elk at 405 yards with Hornady's ELD-X. Hunter is certainly a worthwhile powder for the 30-06 and I like how well it flows through a powder measure too.

Regards, Guy

In my entire career, I managed to get one pound of Hunter. It did shine in my 30-06. Turns out that it was next to impossible to get here in Canada. Had I been able to do so, I suspect that it would have figured prominently in several of my rifles. I did use quite a bit of TAC, Big Game, and Magnum in various applications. These powders were commonly available.

I think people are discovering how good Ramshot powders are.I like Hunter in my 300 Win Mags and 30-06's.It seems to load like IMR4831.

For whatever reason I never grabbed for the RS powders first, until I started looking for a RL-26 replacement and tried Magnum. That really eased the sting of no 26. Launches a 143 hammer at 3150 and .325” groups from a 280 AI with a 22” barrel.

I picked up 2# each Hunter and Big Game sometime ago, because they were inexpensive. Then I found that they were uncommon to find loads for with what I shoot and had a bit of a worry. Hung on to them and found Big Game works quite well in my 35 Whelen - thanks to this forum, actually. I also have a use for it in 375 Ruger.

Back