Hunter Powder

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Is anybody finding Hunter powder? Seems to have dropped off the radar or maybe I've just been missing out on finding any. Dan.

I just drove from Utah to WV and didn’t see it on the shelves at any of the stores I stopped at along the way. Been looking for it to try but haven’t seen any in a long time.

Just checked ammoseek and nothing it is weird as the Ramshot powders were the ones that were easier to find it might be having too many powder brands under one management team. What the hell happened to the laws about monopolies it seems their are only two powder company manufacturers left.

I just drove from Utah to WV and didn’t see it on the shelves at any of the stores I stopped at along the way. Been looking for it to try but haven’t seen any in a long time.
Haven't seen any in my area of WV for quite some time. Dan.

Same with Magnum, it was one of the few that were pretty common when everything else had disappeared, now I can’t find it.

Doesn't help you any but it's sitting here for $28 a lb. None in 8 lb jugs though. I've never tried it.
Well at least it's available somewhere. Hunter has good applications and cheaper. Think that's why it has become unavailable. The secret is out. Dan.

I bought hunter for 7-08, but will give it a go in 308win also. I only have 2#s, so it won't go far.

Well at least it's available somewhere. Hunter has good applications and cheaper. Think that's why it has become unavailable. The secret is out. Dan.

I'd try it but I already got a lot of 4831 and that is a powder I don't use much of. For whatever reason in general I don't have cartridges or use bullet weights that either like or require slow burning powders. 4350 is a mainstay for me but slower than that just doesn't get used much.

Hmmm, 25-06 you say? Interesting.

On a related note, I bought a pound of Ramshot Big Game to try, have never used it before.

Guy
I have some of that for 7-08 and a few other cartridges also to try. None are in the 06 variety. 270win is close though.

Hmmm, 25-06 you say? Interesting.

On a related note, I bought a pound of Ramshot Big Game to try, have never used it before.

Guy
Yeah I did some modifications to my favorite Remington 700 .25-06 a couple years back. These included a new lightweight synthetic stock, a Timney trigger, Talley aluminum rings/mounts, and a different Leupold scope.

I had stupidly allowed my supply of Retumbo and 115 grain Blue Cyclones to dwindle to a single loaded box and then could not get powder nor bullet. On a lark, I bought some Ramshot Hunter as in our area it was a powder that was in good supply and at 35-ish dollars a pound versus 55-60 like everything else.

Loaded a max charge under the Hornady 117 grain Interlock BTSP and my first loads shot just over a half inch group. Now they aren’t as flat shooting as the Retumbo/115 Blue Cyclone loads but they’re good enough for what I do.

Last edited:
Back