Hunting and Technology

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
So this goes against one of *my* hunting / outdoor morals, but now found myself crossing the line because of this forum.
The have been all kinds of advancements in the hunting world recently. Range finders, BDC reticles and the list goes on. I've always been anti-cell phone when out hunting short of when I'm on my own. At that point its always off and burried in a zip-lock in my pack.
BUT - ! The advent of the Blackberry / Iphone is too tempting - easy to keep in touch here-
Point - I'm currently camped out @ 9700ft reading all the cool posts here getting stoked for this evenings hunt. We had a lot of snow in the area two weeks ago and travel / walking is difficult. I did watch an ok 5pt and 5 cows bed this a.mm from across the canyon. Hopefully they will stay there and I can make my way up there this evening. They bedded @ about 12,000ft - best part is there are only 3 other hunters in this entire basin weather is beautiful today with no wind yet.
( Yes I'll remeber to turn my cell off );)

Same here. I posted from elk camp many a post. Kinda keeps you warm when waiting/freezing until the sun goes down and they start moving.

Nothing wrong with having a cell phone with you so you can be safe in case something happens like getting stuck or hurt. Also helps you keep track of your buddy if you are hunting together and say you want to meet him up at Secret point. I'm sure we would all say that sometimes for some folks the temptation to walk them into game is more than they can handle. Clearly that is not right so I don't need to say anything more on that subject. Safety absolutely, and for calling your buddy when your bull is 5 miles from the road. Funny how some don't pick up the phone when you call! :shock:

Thats funny Mark, I just hunted from 0600 - 1300 and was checking as posts were emailed to my Blackberry. I use it kind of like reading a book. I read a post, then scan the area. Keeps me sane when things are slow and I don't wanna nap. I also use it to text msg back and forth with my hunting partner. We use it kinda similar to a radio, without have to talk. Either way, it is nice to use it if you can, but I don't miss it when I don't have it. Just one of those things, either use it to your advantage, or get left behind.

Man, were you razzzing me about the 264WM from elk camp! Man, now that is LOW! Scotty

Powerstroke,

I have sent a few emails from my stand, works great!
Good luck on your hunt.

JD338

The world is changing rapidly, and we should adapt so long as we don't cheat. I see nothing wrong with carrying a cell phone.

Should have had a cow tag tonight. Saw some cows come out this evening fairly close to where I thought I saw them go in this a.m.
I was able to stalk within a couple hundred yards and plant my butt in a rock pile. I was confident the bull was going to show, but tonight wasn't my night. I sat and watched 5 cows feed between 100 - 150yds for about 30min till it got dark.
Yep Scotty - thought the whole time tonight WOW what a slam dunk for the .260

My only issue with carrying a phone with me here is IT ADDS WEIGHT to my pack ;) @ 11,500 - 12,000ft it all counts.
Packed the Sendero today - the 257Bee will probably get the nod in the morning

Mark,

Trust you are successful tomorrow on your elk.

Do the elk know about the time change? I wouldn't want them to get confused and show up an hour early.

Thanks guys!
I don't thinl they know about the time change - that's why I'm waiting to change my clock ;). Sounded good to get an extra hour - then it hit me I need to get up @ 4 !!
Forget that!

Powerstroke":2bgj9sdo said:
Thanks guys!
I don't thinl they know about the time change - that's why I'm waiting to change my clock ;). Sounded good to get an extra hour - then it hit me I need to get up @ 4 !!
Forget that!

I am with you on that. I screwed up a couple time in the past so I will set the clock AFTER I get back in from the woods tomorrow.
Good luck buddy!

JD338

Well I don't care what anyone says.......

I think all big game get e-mails notifying them of

1. Opening day
2. What type tag you have (bull or cow) so you will encounter the wrong type
3. Who has access to private land --- so you will see hundreds where you can not touch them

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

yep I use my Black berry just like you all do. Plus it does have a decent Camera on it.!

I think all big game get e-mails notifying them of

1. Opening day
2. What type tag you have (bull or cow) so you will encounter the wrong type
3. Who has access to private land --- so you will see hundreds where you can not touch them

+1

I eat Blackberries!!!!!!!! and slept in this morning! No hunting for a couple of more weeks.

Like others on here I carry a Blackberry. Can stay out an extra 2 hours or so with access to ESPN, Foxnews, etc...Much smaller than a paperback book or a magazine!

Back