Hunting Season Workout

Vince, thats the way to keep going, pretty soon those hills will begin to flatten out (a little) and the legs will get stronger.

Elkman":8mj702j7 said:
Vince, thats the way to keep going, pretty soon those hills will begin to flatten out (a little) and the legs will get stronger.

I noticed that on my recent mountain lion hunt Elkman. I was suprised at how little effort I had to exert compared to conditions last deer season.

Today I let the day get away from me and only got to do one hour on the treadmill. Nice steady pace, no breaks, and pack on. I WILL BE STRONG! Tomorrow is another day and I'll do it again unless I get hit by a train. :grin: I'll just keep plugging away and while I'll never be a world class caliber athlete again I can preserve what I have left by getting stronger. I avoid the gym because I've spent far too much of my life in one. When I stopped competing I stopped doing anything connected to competing, including the gym. Twenty+ years later I'm paying the price of my sloth.

I find that as I age I find it easier to make excuses to not workout. When I was competing I had a goal to work towards and that motivated me. I now have a goal, hunting related, that I'm working towards and that makes the workouts easier to tolerate. I've always hated the gym but always forced myself to "git 'er done". I'm back to forcing myself in hopes that I can accomplish my hunting goals.

I WILL BE STRONG!

Good attitude! My bike riding is getting to be an addiction again. Went out two mornings earlier this week, and although it's only 31 degrees this morning, the sun is shining and I'm going again!

My son surprised me by going on a three-hour hike in the hills above our house yesterday while I was at work. I think he's worried ol' Dad is going to out-walk him this coming season...

Keep it up!

Guy

Working a double tomorrow so no workout on Saturday.
I'll get a lot of walking on my double, guaranteed. Oh well, everyone needs a day off now and then. I did an hour today and really worked up a sweat. Tomorrow, while at work, I'll do some squats and lunges to even things out.

I WILL BE STRONG!

Way to go Vince!

Am headed out on the bicycle again later this morning. This will be my fourth ride of the week. We've been doing about 12 - 15 miles, but today I think we're going 25 or so.

If the rest of the group doesn't I will. Time to break out the road bike though I think. The mountain bike is fun, but with the fat, knobby tires, it's not the right tool for longer rides.

Edited - we rode about 3.5 hours, with a few rest stops along the way. I hauled out the skinny-tire road bike for this ride. Good call!

Guy

WINDY here today. The morning bicycle ride was pretty tough, and of course we added an "extra" hill, just for the heck of it. By the time I reached the top, I was wiped out. Problem was that there was still about nine miles to go at that point. Ugh. Ah well, a good ride with some great folks.

Guy

I lied in my previous post. The tire chains do not weigh 25 pounds..... there 40. I strapped the tire chains on the pack with my tow chains tonight. I weighed myself before strapping on the pack frame tonight and dressed ready for the hike... 225. I sat down and strapped the pack on and jumped back on the scale.... 290.

I also added a 1/2 mile last week. Wow going downhill wasn't too bad, but coming back up had the legs burning a bit. 38 minutes for 2 miles with a 65 pound pack I figure isn't half bad...

That's a fair workout, and one I'm working up towards.
My pack is my daypack with optics, water, change of clothes, and other stuff like that. Since it's what I have on when hunting I figure I should work out with it on. Just keep plugging folks.

I WILL BE STRONG!

pre6422hornet":30hoe48l said:
I lied in my previous post. The tire chains do not weigh 25 pounds..... there 40. I strapped the tire chains on the pack with my tow chains tonight. I weighed myself before strapping on the pack frame tonight and dressed ready for the hike... 225. I sat down and strapped the pack on and jumped back on the scale.... 290.

I also added a 1/2 mile last week. Wow going downhill wasn't too bad, but coming back up had the legs burning a bit. 38 minutes for 2 miles with a 65 pound pack I figure isn't half bad...

That's a great sounding work out nice work.

Corey

In order for me to be on the fire line, I have to pass a fitness test. On flat ground we are required to carry a 45 lb. pack, three miles in 45 min. I usually end up at around 41+ min. Test is scheduled for the 17th of April. I have the pace down, but have not carried that much weight, yet.

I don't even do that pace, yet, but now I've got a good barometer to guage by.

Thanks for that Elkman and Good Luck! May your fire season be fruitful. :)

PUT THE HAMMER DOWN TODAY!

On our road - bike ride today twice I really put the hammer down and let 'er rip. Dang that felt good.

First time was on an optional hill. Three of us peeled off from the main group to do The Hill. The kid pulled away from us, no way can I keep up with him, then my buddy and I really hit it going up the hill. I barely edged him, for the first time this year. He's been leaving me on The Hill, until today. My legs were burning by the time we crested it. Then it was back down the hill, and a pretty good push to catch up to the rest of the group. Whew!

Coming back into town we ran into a headwind and I took the opportunity to lead off. Everybody else likes that because I block a lot of wind compared to the typical skinny biker guys. Hmmm.. So they tucked in behind me, and not wanting to disappoint 'em with the pace, I put 'er down again for several miles to the turn-around. Don't know what the heart-rate was during that, but it was sustained high, no doubt! Breathing was just this side of ragged the whole time. Great stuff.

One of the guys I'm riding with is 75 years old and can still absolutely haul on his bicycle. He's a "retired" carpenter, building custom homes in his "spare time." What an incredible guy. He looks maybe 55 or 60, and fit at that. I can pull him only when we've got a steep hill or a headwind. Otherwise he out does me on the bike. Amazing.

At any rate, it was a fine workout!

Guy

And out on the bike again this morning! Another ride with "the old guys." Good for us, real good. I'm getting in better shape every week. We hit 31 or 32 mph for a while today according to one fellow with a speedometer on his road bike. Slight downhill, long, straight grade. Enjoyed the heck out of that!

Amazing to think that those super-duper cyclists who race, AVERAGE 30 mph for their races over many miles... Dang... I was just tickled to break 30 mph today, for a little while, pedaling hard downhill! :grin:

I think it's nap time now.

Guy

Man, I just started beating feet on the pavement again, since Spring is here. Too much Winter weight, but the Va Spring and Summer will help a little. It is good to get back on the trails seriously and get back to the mountain weight.

Been slacking lately. :(

I had some things happen that cut in to my workout time and it showed today. After two weeks of not being able to hit the treadmill I feel like I been rode hard and put away wet. Anyway I cut back on my time on the treadmill today but increased my weight in the pack by ten pounds and slowed the pace a bit. I'll stay at this until I feel ready to increase the speed.

I still have to keep it at a walk but I increase the walking speed as my body indicates as well as increase the weight in the pack in increments. I'm also considering putting some bricks under the treadmill to increase the angle. Next week will tell me what I need to do as I tend to stay pretty attuned to my body.

I don't know how I will rebuild my destroyed body. I will be 70 in a few months and have lost 25 pounds of muscle weight with cancer, bronchiectasis, TB and pneumonia. Plus having no immune system puts me in the hospital with staph pneumonia 8-10 times year, sometimes in the ICU, mostly not. I am starting from scratch being hardly able to walk up the hill to our mailbox on the street, plus climbing stairs in the house 30 times a day.

I would like to hunt again and can get help from relatives to drag and dress game. I also have a disabled hunter license and placard so I can shoot from the car which I don't want to do. I have started doing some upper body exercise with two 7 pound weights, to start rebuilding upper body strength. I also can not go above 5,000 feet because of stents and lung issues so elk are out. I need to get on a treadmill and start putting the miles on. I was in the ICU, in a coma, over Christmas and need to find a way back from all this illness?

Charlie just remember baby steps to start. I know you can do it the body is a miracle and all muscle can be rebuilt to a certain extent. Good luck my friend.

Blessings,
Dan

Charlie,

I can't tell you how to rebuild your body, as I'm not in your shoes.

I commend you for not giving up. One day at a time with one foot in front of the other is all I can encourage. Set goals and work towards them is my best advice. Good luck!

To be honest, you motivate me.

Vince

Back