Hunting Season Workout

I do need to get started and do something since the weather is breaking. The surgically repaired ankle needs to be tested even though it has been awhile since surgery. I need to put a light load in my pack and get out and walk or get the old bike to the shop for new tires and a tune up and start riding it up in the water shed once I get use to it again since I haven't ridden it since my son's passing 20yrs ago.

Third bike ride of the year today. About 30 miles. REALLY pushed it on the uphill stretches. Oh goodness.

I knew I'd had a good ride with my buddies when I came home, and took a 1.5 hour nap!

Guy

Just got the results back from my yearly Doctor's visit and he informed me it was almost 20 months since I last seen him. 8)
All the blood work results were quite good but he was is still on me about my A1C it was 7.6 which is not bad for a sixty something old fat guy :wink:.
The 20lbs I have gained since my BP surgery & unfortunate return to insulin injections is still with me, it sure is funny that the things you want to lose never go missing but I am always losing things such as keys or my wallet :shock: :mrgreen:!
So I am still at the gym 5 times a week and try to still somewhat fit (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Cycling the trail here at home in Wenatchee, Washington earlier today. Spring weather today is terrific!

These folks I cycle with are some of the nicest people I've ever met, and every one of them has led an interesting and productive life. Good people. We're all in our 60's & 70's. Some are pretty serious riders - the young lady in front of me is recently retired, and has turned to cycling with a vengeance! She's difficult to keep up with over the miles.

I'm one of the few hunters in our cycling group - but they're terrific folks for conversation & company as we pedal the miles. I like cycling as a major part of my conditioning, because it's so low impact - unless of course I fall of the bike again... :roll:

Guy

I'm bucking hay, riding colts, and shoveling horse poop.
Is that a workout? [emoji3]

Sure feels like it to me but it's a little too much on the upper body. Need to do some lower body exercises.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince - that sure does count as a workout!

Actually, my workout is pretending to do what you do, 'cause I don't have a ranch to care for....

Guy

Vince":1huf7c2o said:
I'm bucking hay, riding colts, and shoveling horse poop.
Is that a workout? [emoji3]

Sure feels like it to me but it's a little too much on the upper body. Need to do some lower body exercises.

Vince

Vince, bucking hay all day is definitely a full body workout. By the end of the day you know you have done something.

Vince, it wasn't that long ago we were baling for 200 cows :shock: and I know from years of that experience you are definitely working all your muscles :wink:.
The last 6 weeks or so I have been somewhat slacking as I was in school learning and for a old guy that takes alot out of you :oops:.
Well starting this week I am back in the gym and trying to give a full bore (y).

Blessings,
Dan

On the bicycle yesterday with a buddy who is in a hand cycle as his legs are paralyzed. We rode 30+ miles, and on one deserted portion we really put the hammer down. It's tough keeping up with him on the flats and downhill. I can usually only catch and pass him on the uphill stretches where arm muscles can't compete with leg muscles.

We pulled 11 miles in just over 30 minutes on the stretch where we were riding hard. I felt good about averaging 20 mph up and downhill.

Am still working my way back from the danged blood clot I developed during my Alaska/Canada trip, but feeling better and better. The rides are helping!

Guy

I have been temporarily cached near Olympia Washington, on a cabin rebuild. Days start around 0600 and end at 1800. Since the 8th of June, I have retextured the cielings, removed and replaced supply line plumbing, re routed and repaired the drain waste, as well as replaced 40 sq feet of flooring. Also added three new windows, pulled out and replaced all of the appliances. Yesterday finished the bathroom with a new toilet, shower sorround, and vanity. Today's schedule is to haul a ton or so of garbage and then I am off for a couple of days. Contractors will be coming for the new countertops, flooring and carpet. Then I will tile backsplash and trim around shower. I have minor surgery next week and will Be off for a few more days.. Aug 6 th will probably be my last day here, then I will hit the PT hard again. Just not room for it now. We also want to paint our other house and repair some snow damaged outbuildings before fall. I will take the time while I am there for PT . I have an early season bow hunt planned and that will get me out of the foothills into the mountains. A busy summer for me. I passed on fire season this year and may not get back to again, 48 years is probably enough.

Elkman":ca4fqevk said:
I passed on fire season this year and may not get back to again, 48 years is probably enough.

Ya think??????? :lol:

Although, I think Kate will likely keep you plenty busy...

I don't imagine you have much time for anything else, Bill--certainly not as long as you are doing that much reno. Forty-eight years on the fireline is a long time. Congratulations on staying at it that many years. May not be a record, but it is a darn good average.

48 years is longer than I've been....

Well, never mind. It's a long time. :)

23 miles on the bike last night. Probably run and lift tonight. Lots of ways to come home empty handed from my hunt this fall, but I'll do what I can to take conditioning off that list!

Bear season is only three weeks away here in Washington!

Am getting healthier & stronger every day!

Guy

Bill it sounds like you have not sat down much these last few months :wink:.
Good luck with that upcoming surgery hope it does not keep you down for too long (y).
Photos of this reno would sure be enjoyed :mrgreen:.
Thank for the update.
I have been struggling with workouts as I have a problem with muscle aches supposedly because of me taking the statin Lipitor :(.

Blessings,
Dan

I can't believe that we haven't posted here in such a long time. It's always hard in the middle of the winter to keep up our exercise routines, and winter in many area's certainly reduces the options. I know many have been on snow shoes and ski's, but going to the gym is not an option for many, and that makes it worse. We arrived in Az in the first week of Jan and I spent a few days trimming trees, landscaping and sprinkler repairs all before I got back to my daily walks. I have been pretty steady now since the middle of last month. My log shows 2 days off and 23 days hiking. I do not track my daily total, just what I do for my fitness level. Most of which has been on the hills in town. I did get out in the desert for three days which adds tough miles, not so easy as town miles. When I finished my hike this am I tallied of my miles and came up with 103.47 miles. Average miles each hiking day was 4.49, least amount in any one day was, 2.71 the most 5.89.

I let my horse do the walking for me now.

Vince

Couple of bike rides so far. Have to watch the weather. It's been chilly, but the streets have been dry for a while now. 25 miles on the first ride, then it got cold again. Was mid-30's yesterday morning so a buddy and I rode again. He cut out early, but I did a full 30 miles on the road bike.

Sure am a long way from being in good cycling shape, but if I can keep at it pretty regularly, that should come.

Big winter storm slamming the Washington Cascades now. It's supposed to dump 3' of snow in the mountains this weekend. I'm hoping to do more snowshoe hikes and get out on the x-c skis a bit as well.

Guy

Back