Hunting Season Workout

First ride on the road bike, my 25+ year old Cannondale, this morning. Went about 35 miles with good friends. Had a blast. My neck had been too sore for this bike - but no longer. Felt strong, rode fast! :)

Great news Guy!
I'm glad to hear this.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Good job Guy, I am glad your rehabilitation is going strong. In no time you will be as fit as most 25 year olds (y)!!!

Blessings,
Dan

I have a trail up a hill by my house that I use for my fitness hikes. This morning I was up a little earlier than normal, so I gathered up my stuff and headed up the hill. I have been carrying a light pack and a rifle in order to re-create actual hunting conditions. We have a well worn path that I started up at 5:45 or so and was not using a head lamp. I hit the old logging road and turned up it angling along the side hill. This area is well timbered. I was just about to the mid point where I either turn around or start up a steep little hill when I rounded a tree and a black animal was standing in the road about 30 or 40 feet in front of me. I thought it was a calf (cow), or a bear, but then realized it was to tall and skinny for a bear. I said good morning to it, and at that point it emitted a low almost feline guttural growl. The Remington .223 automatically came up, as it crouched and started forward. It was almost to dark for the scope but I was able to see the crosshairs just to its left and as it moved closer I got them into the black mass, and squeezed, sending a 55 gr. hardball bullet on its way. At the shot it leaped about 3 feet in the air and jumped into the timber on its right. When it turned I thought it had black tail. I only heard a couple of twigs snap, as I waited to see what it was going to do, and then no more noise. I am thinking a feral dog, and will head up again later in the day, and see if I can find it. Interesting morning for sure.

Well, that'll serve as your cardio workout for this morning. Glad you were armed.

Man that would definitely give me a good cardio workout. Sure hope you find what ever it was!!
Remember updates with photos!!

Blessings,
Dan

Since the stroke last year, bicycle-riding hasn't been as much "fun" as it used to be. But we do it. Also just walking up/down hills helps. With 79 year under my belt, the hills are all steeper and longer than before. I think there's still another hunt or two left that I need to do.

Best of luck to all the old hunters out there. And the new ones too, as they'll keep the fires going.

Keep going, Jim. You have several more good hunts. We're all pulling for you.

Jim, I am a few years behind you and know exactly how you feel. As Mike says you have to keep pushing, when you get past one goal, set another. :grin:

Well after much discussion and based on the neighborhood lore, my wife decided my altercation this am was a Werewolf. No blood very few tracks and of course no animal. I really did not expect to find a dead body because that little 223 with non-expanding bullets, does not make a very big hole. A friend went with me and we searched for about an hour on the timbered north slope but no blood or sign. I however did find one of our neighbors cows laying down on the hillside far below where the shooting took place. We were able to contact him and he came out to deal with the animal. He felt she was dehydrated, and gave her water and some feed. So all and all it was a productive day. I will start watching for ravens tomorrow, they will find the body if its there.

And yes to all who commented, my heart rate did jump right up there when the animal started towards me.

Elkman thanks for the update, it is to bad that you were unable to locate whatever gave you the quickened heart beat :wink:.
I also agree with setting goals as it will be 1 year at the end of this month when I got my second chance. As you know a few weeks ago I spent some time with DrMike and the mountain men we had a great time. Next July or August my wife and I are planning to take a 2 or 3 week holiday up in the Mountains again hopefully to do some Salmon fishing a little further west than Dawson Creek, we do hope to spend a few days with a friend and his family in Dawson Creek :mrgreen:.
Remember guys some of us might be a little long in the tooth but never quit dreaming (y)!

Blessings,
Dan

Dan
Those trips sound lovely, next weekend we head to Wyoming for my first hunt of the season and I am really looking forward to it.

Elkman, I am sure you will have a great trip!! Remember have Fun, Shoot straight & most of all be Safe!!
I am sure looking forward to a good story with photos if possible :grin:!

Blessings,
Dan

Well People yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of my bypass surgery :mrgreen: I was in the gym thinking about it and the fact that a few days before the surgery I was able to bench press 180lbs X 10 so seeing I was working my chest I placed 180lbs on the bar :shock: & attempted to lift it :( well guess what I could not get it off the bar :twisted:!! I guess there are worst thing that I could have happen to me :wink:.
Last night the kids came over and we had a little celebration I am truly blessed.

Blessings,
Dan

Glad you're still among the living, Dan. I sure enjoyed hosting you earlier this fall. (y)

Dan, like Dr Mike, we are glad your still with us.

I did nit read all twenty pages, but we do a considerable amount of snow shoeing and have been told that it is a good work out for the heart.

Have you ever seen snow Vince-------just kidding (-:

Cheyenne, I just about had to snowshoe once to get on my snow machine :lol:.
But you are correct regarding a good cardio workout Snowshoeing is right up there for exercise. I did try it a few times and there is more to it than just strapping them on!

Blessings,
Dan

yukon huntress":1nutxqmo said:
Dan, like Dr Mike, we are glad your still with us.

I did nit read all twenty pages, but we do a considerable amount of snow shoeing and have been told that it is a good work out for the heart.

Have you ever seen snow Vince-------just kidding (-:
Cheyenne,

I saw it in a movie once with Jimmy Stewart. :)

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back