Hunting with my 300 Weatherby for the first time

Weapons are very humble, I've got to have the rifles saving little by little. I love looking at them and look after them, have been slow to take them. Someday I'll hunt with them. Everything comes hehe.

Oscar.

That is true, Oscar, everything comes to those who wait. You have a really nice selection of rifles and calibers. Not fancy but certainly well built arms that will serve you well when you need them.

At least you guys can have them in Spain!

If Greece allowed them maybe I would be living there.

God I miss Crete!

I like your bullet placement .................... that is a very very good place to dispatch a Whitetail Buck or any other animal for that matter! Great shooting.

35 Whelen":10l4ckv3 said:
I like your bullet placement .................... that is a very very good place to dispatch a Whitetail Buck or any other animal for that matter! Great shooting.

Thanks 35 Whelen. I like to placed the bullet behind the shoulder on smaller animal but, on bigger and tough animal or on angling shot, I aim for the shoulder. You can visibly see all the bullet entry point on several animal on the picture.

The kudu was was making a full 180 degree turn from a dead run. It never did completed it's turn. The 230 grain TSX hit him square in the left shoulder.
DSC00525.jpg

The warthog thought he can hide in a tall grass. Big mistake.
AfricanSafari093.jpg

Sharp angling behind the shoulder shot on a Zebra at around 150 yards moving away. The bullet exited the chest area.
AfricanSafari024.jpg

AfricanSafari114.jpg

480 yards shot on a coyote. That's an exit wound courtesy of the 300 SMK.
AZone09004.jpg

Nice deer!
I have a old 300 wby that i have used for 45 years. Great round! A few years ago i purchased a 257 accumark and been using 90gr Hornady GLX with H1000. Talking about a rifle that kills like lighting on Caribou! And very flat shooting and low recoil!

Desert Fox":1dw2lan2 said:
CatskillCrawler":1dw2lan2 said:
Nice buck and story. Your pics point out the diversity in topography and ecosystem that the N.A. WT hunter can experience. I have never hunted in an open area as that. It seems simpler but I know better.

Good story and pics.
Cat, hunting Whitetail in the Texas Panhandle is different than any where else... lots of open area and shot can be long. You need a flat shooting rifle and be ready to take a long shot if necessary. There's no way you can stalk to get close due to absence of cover.

Here's some more picture that I took from last year.

Texas006.jpg

Texas013.jpg

There's a reason they have towns in that area named Plainview, Levelland etc. I went to school in Lubbock and if you were hunting that area I agree you can't stalk anything you have to view them get a pattern set up and wait. Then there is the wonderful winds of the panhandle to dope. All I have to say there is good luck somedays you just can't shoot. I've seen days there where your dealing with 40-50 mph winds all day and then the dust storms they get are unreal.

Back