I give up! Help me with a load for 6mm 80gr Ballistic Tip

vermont2nd

Beginner
Sep 22, 2009
Loading for the .243 Win. I have tried three different powders, in various grain weights and COALs, but have yet to get a five shot group under an inch and a half at 100 yards. I really would like to have my son use these on Whitetail this year, but am about ready to give up. So far I have tried H4895, IMR 4895 and Varget, varying from .020" from the lands to .050". Anyone have a known load to start from? :oops:

I have a load using R15 that works well in my son's rifle. It is 40.2 grains with a Federal 210M primer. COL will vary from rifle to rifle, so you will need to play with that. This load gives me 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards and measures at 3300 fps over my cronograph. Good luck

257 Ackley":26icsap1 said:
I have a load using R15 that works well in my son's rifle. It is 40.2 grains with a Federal 210M primer. COL will vary from rifle to rifle, so you will need to play with that. This load gives me 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards and measures at 3300 fps over my cronograph. Good luck

The only reason that I didn't try the RE 15 is because I have always been told that it's temp sensitive. I see that you are in MN, have you found this to not be true? I do have it on hand, and love it for 168gr bullets for .308, maybe I will give that a try next.

Just out of curiosity, what Mfg is your son's rifle? I am working with an older Savage Model 110, which I believe has a 1 in 9 twist.

Thanks for the reply.

I have Rem 700 SPS 243. Currently my 80BT load is:
Brass: Rem trimmed to 2.03
Primer: GM210M
Powder: 39gn of IMR 4064
COL: 2.72"
3 shot average velocity is: 3167
I hope this helps.

Other powders you can try are:
IMR4350, W760, RL-19, Hybrid 100V, H414, IMR4320

Hodgdon's manual shows H414 (max of 45gn) and W760 (max of 45gn) as the highest velocity. Starting load is 42gn for each powder. This info is listed using a 80gn Sierra BTSP, so start low and work up.

hi,,,i have a savage 110 same as you,,,maybe its not the powder but the bullet,,,mine shoots 3/8 inch at 100 with 42 grs of imr 4831,hornady 100 grain sp,cci 200 lrp,col 2.640,,,like i say,,,try a different bullet,,,maybe your gun dosent like the ones your using now :grin: :grin: :grin:

vermont2nd

Welcome to the form, you have come to the right place as there is a plethora of knowledge here.

Have you tried other bullets? Was the accuracy the same, better or worse?
Have you also checked to make sure that action screws and scope mounts are tight?

Here are a couple of proven loads for the 243 Win to try-
70 gr BT (VARMINT Bullet)
39.5 grs IMR 4895

95 gr PT or 100 gr PT (you might also try the 95 gr BT)
41.0 grs IMR 4350

Remember to start low and work up.
Let us know how these loads work in your rifle.

JD338

I would say something is not right.

A savage 243 with 3 different powders and a 80g bt should be producing better groups then that. 243's aren't picky in the first place, savages are usually accurate rifles, 80g nbt's are usually accurate bullets, your oal approach was good.

I would look at the scope possibly being a problem, checking all screws for tightness, how does other ammo shoot, is it 1.5" or better at 100 yards for 5 shots? Are you shooting from a bench? Allowing the barrel to cool inbetween shots?

If for some reason all of the above is good, maybe your rifle just doesn't like 80g nbt's or the powders you have been feeding it. Theres not much different in IMR4895 and H4895. Try a couple slower burning powders if your stuck on the 80's.

Then again, the only savage I owned wouldn't give me a 3 shot, let alone 5 shot, 1.5" group at 100 yards with about 5 different bullets, 4 different powders, 3 different primers, 2 different brands of cases, and about 20 different OAL's. Wont ever find another savage in my house.

vermont2nd":3lc1hieq said:
257 Ackley":3lc1hieq said:

The only reason that I didn't try the RE 15 is because I have always been told that it's temp sensitive.

Actually, Re15 is temperature tolerant. So is Re17. Re22 is quite sensitive to temperature variations. I am not sure about Re19, but I think it is more like Re22. If Re15 works well for you, I'd go with it.

My M700 243 loves IMR 4831 with almost any bullet I feed it. Id give it a try. Also my buddies loves it also.

remingtonman_25_06":24zpjj7i said:

A savage 243 with 3 different powders and a 80g bt should be producing better groups then that. 243's aren't picky in the first place, savages are usually accurate rifles, 80g nbt's are usually accurate bullets, your oal approach was good.

I would look at the scope possibly being a problem, checking all screws for tightness, how does other ammo shoot, is it 1.5" or better at 100 yards for 5 shots? Are you shooting from a bench? Allowing the barrel to cool inbetween shots?

If for some reason all of the above is good, maybe your rifle just doesn't like 80g nbt's or the powders you have been feeding it. Theres not much different in IMR4895 and H4895. Try a couple slower burning powders if your stuck on the 80's.

Then again, the only savage I owned wouldn't give me a 3 shot, let alone 5 shot, 1.5" group at 100 yards with about 5 different bullets, 4 different powders, 3 different primers, 2 different brands of cases, and about 20 different OAL's. Wont ever find another savage in my house.

Both the action screws and scope mount/base screws are all properly torqued. I don't think that is where the problem lies, although I have yet to bed the action for this rifle, something that I am sure will help as there is a very generous channel for the recoil lug.

All shots have been taken off the bench, bi-pod in the front, bagged in the rear. I'm pretty confident that my POA was consistent. Even with the various powders/COLs, I have yet to break 1.5" 5 shot group, at 100.

I readily admit that although I have handloaded for some time, this is my first attempt with Nosler bullets. I have 100 of the 90gr Ballistic Tip spitzers on the way to me, and will try working up a load for those. I really would like to use Nosler's products, and am willing to put some more time into it.

Thanks for all of the replies.

remingtonman_25_06":e2reur2a said:

I agree!

Well, for starters, I would not choose an 80 grain Ballistic Tip for use on deer. It is designed for varmint hunting. The 90 grain version you have ordered will be a much better choice.

The first thing I would try with either bullet would be a slower burning powder, something on the order of IMR 4350.

If neither of these bullets shoots well for you, try the 85 grain Barnes TSX.
I recently worked up a load for a friend's 240 Weatherby that never had shot worth beans, with ANYTHING. We put some 85 TSX bullets in it and it shoots VERY well, indeed.

R Flowers":1j5ntnis said:
Well, for starters, I would not choose an 80 grain Ballistic Tip for use on deer. It is designed for varmint hunting. The 90 grain version you have ordered will be a much better choice.

The first thing I would try with either bullet would be a slower burning powder, something on the order of IMR 4350.

If neither of these bullets shoots well for you, try the 85 grain Barnes TSX.
I recently worked up a load for a friend's 240 Weatherby that never had shot worth beans, with ANYTHING. We put some 85 TSX bullets in it and it shoots VERY well, indeed.

I think you are right about the heavier grained bullet, but I am also sure that with proper shot placement 80br would be sufficient.

Just out of curiosity, aren't the 80gr Ballistic Tips Spitzers and 90gr Ballistic Tips Spitzers the same bullet, obviously except for the weight? My apologies if I am wrong in that assumption.

The 90 and 95 grain BT have a thicker tapered jacket for controlled expansion whereas the 80 grain and lighter BT have a thin jacket the entire length of the bullet, designed for explosiveness on varmints. All BT bullets have a solid base.

In loading for my 243, I found great accuracy using 42.5 grains IMR4350 combined with 85 grain Sierra Gameking BTHP and Barnes TSX, both. Mine shot the 95 grain Ballistic Tip best with RL-22 and the 100 grain bullets shoot good with RL-22 or IMR 4350, depending which bullet it was. Hope that helps a little.

+1 with IMR 4350 on 243 and 6 MM Remington. I used to own a Sako Forrester 243 and a 6MM Remmy Custom which I still have and I only use IMR-4350 for bullet weight from 80 grain to 100 grain.

I do have IMR 4350 on hand, and will start with that when the 90gr bullets arrive.

I generally load with bullets from Hornady and Sierra, but really want to try some of the offerings from Nosler. Thanks again for the help.

Back