i got an elk tag in NM,

romex2121

Beginner
Mar 13, 2009
as you can imagine i am pretty excited about getting an elk (bull) tag in my home state (NM) :wink: i got drawn for area 34 and it just so happens we have a cabin in that area :grin: the hunt is in oct and is for muzzel loader
i need to start working up a load for elk so if you have any suggestions id like to hear them,,,,, im thinking of trying some black horn,,, so far ive only used the TC shock waves in 250gr with 777 to take deer,, i have tryed PBs but i could never get them to shoot well ,,,,, by the way igot my deer tag in the same area and is for MZL also :grin:

Congratulations on your tags!
Take a look at the Nosler .451 cal 300 gr PT. It will take care of all your muzzle loading needs.
This is the same bullet the Jim Shockey uses to hunt all over the world.

JD338

Congratulations on your draw and the best of success on your hunt. I trust we'll all enjoy your hunt vicariously through pictures you post!

JD338":1c6foig0 said:
Congratulations on your tags!
Take a look at the Nosler .451 cal 300 gr PT. It will take care of all your muzzle loading needs.
This is the same bullet the Jim Shockey uses to hunt all over the world.

JD338
so what sabot would work with that bullet ????

romex2121

A 50 cal .451 sabot (Black) is what you want. I bought a bad of Nosler sabots at a local Gander Mountain and they work great.

JD338

i have no doubt that the Noslers would have no problem takeing down an elk, but they are a bit pricey for only 50,, i went thru my stash of bullets and found that i have some 45cal 300gr hornady XTP/HP for my 50cal Encore,, i know them bullets pack a punch but im a little concernd that they may open up to quickly on impact and not get good penatration even more so if it hits the shoulder :roll: any thoughts,,,,,,

I got a mulie muzzleloader tag for area 33 in Colorado so I've been doign the load search myself. I've settled on the 300 grain Hornady FBP with 90 grains of pyrodex in a 50 caliber hawken rifle with a 1 in 48 twist. I shot maxi-balls, maxi hunters, and the FBP. The maxi-ball and the FBP were the most accurate with the FBP being just a tick better and not having to fool with grease. I dug a few out of the berm after shooting and I think that the terminal perfomance for the FBP would be awesome for elk even with a shoulder hit. I'll see if I can get a picture or two posted of the recovered bullets.

I have used the XTP, the the Maxi ball and maxi hunter for both deer and elk. I would not use the XTP for elk I am not sure that they would get in deep and get the job done. I had one cow get away with a shoulder shot with the XTP she just outwalked me. The maxi hunter and maxi ball both will give great penetration. Have shot two elk and a couple of deer with good success. I am using the Lyman Great Plains with 90 gr. of FFG.
Good luck on your hunts both of you!!!

i was just going over some of the post here and found that i never let you guys know how my hunt went :roll: we did take a bull on the third day of the hunt,, he was just a little 4x4 but this was my first bull elk and the only one we could get on so i took him,,,, i did end up using the 300gr hornady XTP's and harvester sabots,, it was a perfect hit and turned the heart to mush ,,
i was able to find the bullet under the hide on the oppisite side,, the lead however did seperate from the copper case,, i guess the bullet did its job cause he only went about 15 yrds before falling over :wink: i do think id like to find a bullet that holds together a little better for my piece of mind but overall the hornady 300gr XTP/HP did its job,,,,,, by the way using the harvester sabots did make my groups print better over the TC sabots,, thanks guys 8)

I would think the PT's would work really well in the ML's. I know Jim Shockey uses them and they work so well in everything else I shoot, I can't see them working any less awesome in a ML. Congrats on your elk! Sounds like a great shot and an excellent animal. Scotty

Congratulations on taking your bull--and with a front stuffer! Were you able to tag a deer as well?

i was able to take a shot at a deer :lol: but i missed :oops: i shot high and he didnt hang around for a second try :wink:

i shot high and he didnt hang around for a second try.

That wasn't very neighbourly of him. Still, you can take real pleasure in the elk you tagged.

Congrats on the tag! I'm using Blackhorn 209 in my T/C Endeaver and is hands down the best powder I've used. I tried the FPB in my gun and it didn't shoot them well at all.

romex2121":1zqgezkw said:
the hornady 300gr XTP/HP did its job

I've used the same bullet in my Encore for the last several years, and it is great for whitetails.

Congrats on your bull!

Back