I Love How This 358Win Shoots!!!!!

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I just love how my Ruger M77 Hawkeye 358Win shoots using AA2495. My accurate load is 46.5grs and my hunting load is 47grs which puts me at and over 2400fps. Here is two three shot groups fired to day just to check out my sight-in at 100 yds.

Now I got so excited to shoot this rifle that I forgot to fire my customary three fouling shots and sometimes I shoot six. The top three are the first three fired in a completely clean barrel. The next bottom three were the next three rounds. This rifle just plain shoots and it is out of the box, nothing done to it and I have the scope on max which is 5 power.

IMG_8033.jpg

IMG_8239.jpg

IMG_8035.jpg

GB300wm":2w28kco8 said:
Very nice bullet :grin: :grin: That 358 sure is a shooter

Thanks Jerry, this is such a consistent rifle, this will really be fun to hunt with. It even did these groups in some strong wind.

POP":1l2ypimj said:
You got a good one 4 sure Mike!

Yeah POP, every once in a while you come across a rifle that just "IS" and that's the only way I can think of defining it. It handles well, shoots very good and more important is that it is so easy to shoot from a standing position unsupported and hit a quart plastic bottle at 100yds. It just feels part of me and so easy to carry, it just fits in my hands and comes to my shoulder like it was just made for me by some gunsmith. It is such a cool looking little/big cartridge to boot. As I told Jerry, this will be a lot of fun to hunt with.

Congratulations Bullet! It's nice to see some one enjoy learning a new gun as much as you do.

JDMAG":1t6xi9at said:
Congratulations Bullet! It's nice to see some one enjoy learning a new gun as much as you do.

That is one thing I have always loved doing and that is to figure out a gun and what will make it shoot. By the time you finish doing something like that you have total confidence in the field with it and everything else takes care of itself when it is time to bring the bacon home.

JD338":1di4hha0 said:
Nice looking shooter you have there bullet.

JD338

Thanks JD388, it is a nice looking rifle and that makes it fun as well as it being a shooter. What would really make for an interesting event would be for Nosler to come out with a 200gr AccuBond and I think that would really be the ticket, moving a 200gr AccuBond 2550 to 2600fps. :)

bullet":3ux5489a said:
JD338":3ux5489a said:
Nice looking shooter you have there bullet.

JD338

Thanks JD388, it is a nice looking rifle and that makes it fun as well as it being a shooter. What would really make for an interesting event would be for Nosler to come out with a 200gr AccuBond and I think that would really be the ticket, moving a 200gr AccuBond 2550 to 2600fps. :)

I agree, a 35 cal 200 gr AB Protected Point would be a winner.

JD338

JD338, all kidding a side, it really would be a boom for the 358Win and even the 35 Whelen. I know I would buy them and I believe I could get them shooting real good in this 358Win.

Got my 358Win with a 225gr bullet to do 2509fps.

Here is the 358Win 225gr group at 2509fps

IMG_8251.jpg

That is an awesome cartridge. Can't wait to give it a try on some bears. Here is another vote for a 200gr AccuBond or heck, even a 200gr Partition. Either once would be excellent for us 358 - 35Whelen shooters. Scotty

beretzs":2jdhs383 said:
That is an awesome cartridge. Can't wait to give it a try on some bears. Here is another vote for a 200gr AccuBond or heck, even a 200gr Partition. Either once would be excellent for us 358 - 35Whelen shooters. Scotty

I got some 200gr Remington Core-Lokts I am going to try with W748 and a few other powders. Should be able to get 2660fps - 2680fps and this would make a great deer, elk, hog, black bear load. Man, would a 200gr AccuBond be a sweet bullet to use in the 358Win if it JUST EXISTED!!!!!! It would be an all around bullet for the 358Win and no other bullet would really be needed unless someone felt they needed a 250gr bullet for some reason.

I do agree on the 200 gr AB. The only challenge would be making it short enough.

Heck, if 200gr Abonds would be a problem, make them 200gr PT's! I would take either one and a 200gr PT would be just about ideal for the 358. Scotty

POP":3o4v74j1 said:
I do agree on the 200 gr AB. The only challenge would be making it short enough.

The 200gr AccuBond would be short enough even though the 225gr is not. Even a protected point would be cool. You would have a bullet that would open up quick and stay together, almost the best of both worlds. How about a flat based AccuBond!!!! Come, on, this is America and we can figure this one out. :idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!: :!:

A 200gr boattail with a poly tip would be about perfect for the 358. Good BC and flight characteristics. Plus, it would hold together on game for tough shots. Scotty

Back