I Love To Walk And Call Coyotes - Something new coming:) :)

Woodycreek":hwqt2i29 said:
Bullet,

Thats a great pick for a scoped AR-15. I have a few ARs and most have no iron sights on them. And i also have the VX-III 2.5-8 on my AR-10 .308 which works great in the hardwoods or reaching out to touch something.

Yes, I was thinking if would work great and with the flip up battle sights, this will be cool.

That would make a slick handling rifle. I really like the 2.5x8 VX3 on my 338. If I had to do it over again, I would scope alot of my rifles as such. I really like the B&C reticle also. Very easy to use for hunters and really helps me with accuracy out yonder. Scotty

NICE AR, the flip up rear sights are nice. I had an ARMS flip up with the small and large apeture on my LH Stag. I always figured that front flip up would be so much nicer for the scope too.

Are you putting a rail spacer on it to bring the scope up to a normal eye relief??

JT.

Oh yeah, I couldn't hit a round bale with mine for the most part :oops: :oops: I sold it rather than trying to find a NM trigger for it. I guess I'm spoiled with my bolt triggers.

JT.

That seems to be the only issue with the S&W my buddy has. It has potential, but the trigger is very painful to use consistently. I can handle heavier triggers, but when they aren't the same each time, they are too hard to shoot decent groups with. Scotty

beretzs":mnm2xg3t said:
That seems to be the only issue with the S&W my buddy has. It has potential, but the trigger is very painful to use consistently. I can handle heavier triggers, but when they aren't the same each time, they are too hard to shoot decent groups with. Scotty

Well, it will be interesting to see if I can consistently shoot the S&W, we will see :)

I am sure it will fine for you as a coyote rifle. I am just expecting something different that what the M&P is. It is a solid, very good functioning rifle, just not a match gun. You will like it alot, other than it flinging your reloadable empty's all over heck. That is the only downside to an autoloader. I hate picking brass out of the dirt. Scotty

beretzs":1feit8j7 said:
I am sure it will fine for you as a coyote rifle. I am just expecting something different that what the M&P is. It is a solid, very good functioning rifle, just not a match gun. You will like it alot, other than it flinging your reloadable empty's all over heck. That is the only downside to an autoloader. I hate picking brass out of the dirt. Scotty

I will only load a round for my grandson to use on the small deer here when he deer hunts. Otherwise, all my ammo will be factory.

Here are the stats on the S&W AR 15 .223 Optics Ready Model

Model: M&P15
Caliber: 5.56 mm NATO / .223
Capacity: 30 Rounds - Detachable Mag
Action: Semi-Auto
Barrel Length: 16"
Barrel Twist: 1 in 9"
Front Sight: Detachable flip up battle site
Rear Sight: Detachable flip up battle site
Overall Length: 35" Extended/32" Collapsed
Stock: 6 Position CAR Stock
Weight: 6.5 lbs.
Barrel Material: 4140 Steel
Receiver Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
Finish: Hard Coat Black Anodized
Chromed Comp: Barrel Bore, Gas Key Bolt Carrier, Chamber

Here is the scope that will be mounted on it VX-III 2.5-8x36mm
Model: M&P15
Caliber: 5.56 mm NATO / .223
Capacity: 30 Rounds - Detachable Mag
Action: Semi-Auto
Barrel Length: 16"
Barrel Twist: 1 in 9"
Front Sight: None
Rear Sight: None
Overall Length: 35" Extended/32" Collapsed
Stock: 6 Position CAR Stock
Weight: 6.5 lbs.
Barrel Material: 4140 Steel
Receiver Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
Finish: Hard Coat Black Anodized
Chromed Comp: Barrel Bore, Gas Key Bolt Carrier, Chamber

Here is the scope VX-III 2.5-8x36mm
opplanet-leupold-vx3-25-8x36mm-rifl.jpg

Mike, the M&P is a nice carbine, but if I was to spend the money one right now, for about the same money you can get the Ruger with the gas piston. Much better operating system and very similar to the HK 416. The HK is a very reliable weapon, with a much better thought out gas system. I know some will say, they will never feel the difference, you might not, but the rifle will run much cleaner and probably never malfunction, unless it is a legitimate bad magazine, or something other than the rifle. The gas system on the M4 is the only real bad part of the whole deal. Putting a gas piston system makes it very similar to an AK47/74 style weapon, and I don't think I have to mention how reliable and AK weapon is. Good luck, either way, the Smith is a good carbine, just trying to show you some options. Scotty

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =162105322

beretzs":30yndp7r said:
Mike, the M&P is a nice carbine, but if I was to spend the money one right now, for about the same money you can get the Ruger with the gas piston. Much better operating system and very similar to the HK 416. The HK is a very reliable weapon, with a much better thought out gas system. I know some will say, they will never feel the difference, you might not, but the rifle will run much cleaner and probably never malfunction, unless it is a legitimate bad magazine, or something other than the rifle. The gas system on the M4 is the only real bad part of the whole deal. Putting a gas piston system makes it very similar to an AK47/74 style weapon, and I don't think I have to mention how reliable and AK weapon is. Good luck, either way, the Smith is a good carbine, just trying to show you some options. Scotty

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =162105322

First the Ruger is 1900.00 retail and a whole lot more than I want to spend. Shooting times and some others have tested the S&W using all different kinds of ammo and used two S&W's shooting 5,000 rounds each and not one, I mean not one miss fire, or jam or cartridge feeding problem. That is very significant. I am not shooting a fully automatic rifle so I will not have issues with heat from the operating system. On top of that the operating system has functioned since the mid 60's and has done fine.

The Ruger does not have a Chrome plated chamber only a bore the S&W has a Chrome plated chamber. I did my research and two friends down here in Mississippi actually put their S&W's through some of the same stuff Shooting times did but with only russian ammo including the laquer kind and not one failure of any kind and they actually shot tighter groups than the guy for shooting times. So I have done my research and totally satisfied with my choice.

No worries Mike. You will like the rifle. Just wanted to give you the point of view from a Marines standpoint of the weapon. I like them all, but side by side, the gas piston guns are ultra reliable and do not push the gas back into the chamber area. That is really the biggest gripe. But I doubt you will ever put that many rounds through the gun to ever notice the difference. Scotty

beretzs":2iwoa9vw said:
No worries Mike. You will like the rifle. Just wanted to give you the point of view from a Marines standpoint of the weapon. I like them all, but side by side, the gas piston guns are ultra reliable and do not push the gas back into the chamber area. That is really the biggest gripe. But I doubt you will ever put that many rounds through the gun to ever notice the difference. Scotty

That was my conclusion and for the price with all things considered I thought the S&W gave me the biggest bang for the buck.

Mine is the new model and is a GAS PISTON SMITH AND WESSON!!!!! This is a new gun just put out by Smith and Wesson. Just discovered this in my specs. 1 Piece Carrier, Gas Piston Operating System

Mike, I stand corrected. I haven't yet heard of a gas piston operated S&W. Sounds like you have exactly what you are looking for. Never meant to say the gas tubed gun was bad, just you will be happier with a gas piston operated rifle. Can't wait to see it, can you send a link to it. I would like to check it out. I haven't seen anything on its release. Sounds like a great rifle. Scotty

beretzs":14qr4hxs said:
Mike, I stand corrected. I haven't yet heard of a gas piston operated S&W. Sounds like you have exactly what you are looking for. Never meant to say the gas tubed gun was bad, just you will be happier with a gas piston operated rifle. Can't wait to see it, can you send a link to it. I would like to check it out. I haven't seen anything on its release. Sounds like a great rifle. Scotty

Frankly, I don't really know now, I am so confused after read all the stuff again. I just know that the model I will get my friends have put it through the mill and it is good to go. :)

Good enough. It is a solid rifle no matter. I am sure it will be a great yote rifle for ya. Scotty

Either way, sounds like fun, but we definitely need pics when you pile up the first one if not before. Anticipation is half the fun. CL

cloverleaf":cfzpq88p said:
Either way, sounds like fun, but we definitely need pics when you pile up the first one if not before. Anticipation is half the fun. CL

I hear you and anticipation is half the fun :)

A good AR is great fun. I have a RRA 24"Varmiter (not a calling rifle) that is an extreme performer.

I am looking forward to seeing how yours does.

Back