I may or may not have..............

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
I may or may not have had my whole skinned deer carcass lying on top of plastic in my kitchen for a couple days before it finally thawed out to the point where I could finally cut it up. It had been outside in -30 degree weather.

What are some of the things that you "may or may not have" done??

I may or may not have had similar experiences. I may or may not have disappeared for a day or two after I did or did not bring said game into my house. The stain that may or may not have remained might (or might not) have coloured our kitchen table (and our relationship :shock: ). Without a doubt, a UV light would have revealed some incriminating evidence, if I failed to use plastic. And methylene blue would have reacted if such was actually done. Since it is all hypothetical (it is hypothetical, isn't it?), then I'm saying nothing more without consulting my attorney. There is still a Fifth Amendment in the US Constitution, even if such protection against self-incrimination doesn't exist in a nation situated north of the USA.

DrMike":1w00mdvt said:
I may or may not have had similar experiences. I may or may not have disappeared for a day or two after I did or did not bring said game into my house. The stain that may or may not have remained might (or might not) have coloured our kitchen table (and our relationship :shock: ). Without a doubt, a UV light would have revealed some incriminating evidence, if I failed to use plastic. And methylene blue would have reacted if such was actually done. Since it is all hypothetical (it is hypothetical, isn't it?), then I'm saying nothing more without consulting my attorney. There is still a Fifth Amendment in the US Constitution, even if such protection against self-incrimination doesn't exist in a nation situated north of the USA.
That cracked me up Dr. Mike. I saw this on another site and got a kick out of what some folks have done. There seems to be a lot of taking care of game in various motel rooms where folks are staying. That seemed to be a pretty common occurrence. You guys get the idea, now add to this I may or may not have................

If they sprayed Luminol in those hotel rooms they could "light up like a Christmas tree" like the saying goes :lol:

I can confirm that a moose quarter completely covers a kitchen table. My wife may or may not have been impressed ;)

gerry":sghbnl3t said:
If they sprayed Luminol in those hotel rooms they could "light up like a Christmas tree" like the saying goes :lol:

I can confirm that a moose quarter completely covers a kitchen table. My wife may or may not have been impressed ;)
Oh I'm pretty sure Gerry that she was overly impressed!

I may or may not have put my first bowkill ( a whitetail doe when I was 19) in the trunk of my Toyota Camry to get it back to the house. It may or may not have been my turn to drive the boys around the next night. My car may or may not have smelled GOD-AWFUL!! I will say that despite our good looks we were not good looking enough into talking any lovely into the Camry that night, lol!!

A 1985 Chevy S 10 Blazer might be able hold 3 moose quarters from a young bull in the back behind the seat and one on the back seat ;)

A 1985 Jeep CJ-7 May or May not be able to have a whole spike bull with the rear legs cut off at the hock stuffed in the back with the rear seat folded forward and the set upright (they folded like this to provide more room) into the back cargo area. Head wrapped back around the shoulder and the tailgate closed and the cargo hatch pulled down and latched! Whole not cut into quarters and loaded by only 2 guys!!

6mm Remington":16u40l5w said:
DrMike":16u40l5w said:
That cracked me up Dr. Mike. I saw this on another site and got a kick out of what some folks have done. There seems to be a lot of taking care of game in various motel rooms where folks are staying. That seemed to be a pretty common occurrence. You guys get the idea, now add to this I may or may not have................

And that kill may or may not have been a black bear. My wife doesn't much care for bear because she may or may not felt compelled to help butcher said bear when she began to fear that the neighbours would think we were cannibals (a bear carcass minus the skin and the head can appear suspiciously similar to a human body). She's been a pretty good sport about my hunting, but she did have some forced incentive in the early years.

Hmm, my wife may or may not know how many rifles are in my gun safe :mrgreen: .
As the saying goes my boys know that after I am gone to sell my rifles for market value not what I may or may not have told their Mom what I paid for them :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

One of my daughters first deer hunting trips with me was in a ground blind and to help her stay comfortable I brought one of those little propane catalytic heaters, and at some point sat a can of beans 'n franks on it to warm them up....Well I didn't open the can and forgot all about the beans until..KERPLOOP! two hunters and the inside of a ground blind covered in beanie-weenies...

When I was about 10-12 years old a buddy and I were out messing around with our little fiberglass bows. We each had ONE target arrow each as I recall. My Norwegian Elkhound was with us. We came upon a skunk along an irrigation ditch. Said Elkhound started barking and going after the skunk who did what skunks tend to do. We may or may not have used our ONE arrow each to shoot the skunk to kill it all the while the dog was getting sprayed as were we. We may or may not have had to pull our arrows out of the still live skunk and then shoot him again each of us before he died. We may or may not have then hauled the skunk HOME so that I could show my mother how we had taken out this varmint by golly. Poor mother was not happy. Made us take the skunk back far far way. Then had to wash us in the bath with tomato juice and then vinegar, and whatever else she could think was an elixir to fix our problem. I discovered one thing in that skunks REALLY stink but if you are literally covered in the stench at some point your nose seems to quite working and you cannot smell anything as it's so horrible. The odor seems to lessen a bit. Not for those nearby though!

sask boy":2puvk9v3 said:
Hmm, my wife may or may not know how many rifles are in my gun safe :mrgreen: .
As the saying goes my boys know that after I am gone to sell my rifles for market value not what I may or may not have told their Mom what I paid for them :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan
You need to read the short story by Patrick McMannis wrote called GUNRUNNING! OH MY is it funny and so appropriate to your post. I lent my book to my neighbor which has this story in it and as he's written several books I cannot recall which book of his has this short story in it. I'll get it figured out and let you know. I promise you will be roaring laughing as you read it.

For some reason ticks seem to really like me. I was spring bear hunting with a buddy. The ticks were HORRIBLE that spring. We would walk about 100 yards and then stop for several minutes and pick ticks off of each others pants legs and wherever else they might be located on our clothing. I may or may not have accidentally brought a tick or two home with me thinking that after my shower and cloths change that I was tick free. My wife may have woken up the next morning with a tick crawling on the back of her neck in her hairline if I remember correctly. My wife was NOT Happy! A couple days later my belly button started hurting and was bugging me. I was in bed as we were just waking up and I told her to look as I have an innie and I could not see inside to tell what was going on. My wife looked and started freaking out and saying oh my, crap, and other language.

I May have had a tick burrow into my belly button right in the center and was inside my skin with just about his back half as all that was left sticking out. I told my wife to get some fingernail polish remover and fill my belly button like a swimming pool. After she did that and we waited about 5 minutes I figured the tick would be dead. She got a paper towel and I drained the pool by dabbing the paper towel in my belly button. She then got a tweezers and may have tried several times to extract the tick without success trying to be "gentle". I finally got frustrated because I couldn't take care of this removal myself and I told her to "just grab the damn thing and pull it out." Which she did and was successful. The tick came out whole and may have had a piece of my flesh clinched in his shut jaws! As soon as the extraction was successful some of the lower level pool liquid immediately filled in the void she had created. Holy crap did that fingernail polish remover hurt when it into the hole left by the ticks eviction from the premises. I mean it really hurt!

I ended up getting sick about a week later running 103 temperature and sweating buckets. I had "one" of the several types of tick fevers that are possible to get. It was not worth testing to figure out which one so they just gave me strong antibiotics which I took for 10 days. I was home sick as a dog for more than a week before I got better.

hunter24605":3hsdgxs0 said:
One of my daughters first deer hunting trips with me was in a ground blind and to help her stay comfortable I brought one of those little propane catalytic heaters, and at some point sat a can of beans 'n franks on it to warm them up....Well I didn't open the can and forgot all about the beans until..KERPLOOP! two hunters and the inside of a ground blind covered in beanie-weenies...
I bet that was exciting!

Skunks were on the list of "approved" pests during pest eradication for those of us fortunate enough to participate in FFA during my high school years. All those participating in FFA were divided into two groups for the competition, and the losing group would be required to provide a marvellous meal for the winners. Of course, the thought of having to cook for the other team motivated us erstwhile hunters and eliminators of pests to excel in our efforts to rid the county of vermin.

None of us had much money, so rifles were not always in readily available. We used bird shot in our 22s, for those fortunate enough to have such a fine firearm. Sparrows and starlings were commonly taken, and a wing from the dead bird sufficed to prove that it was no longer flitting about the barns of the county. Rats and mice were gathered in great quantities, and the tail provided proof that the beast was no longer clamoring over the gain stored in the farmers' bins. A sparrow and/or a starling was worth one point. As I recall after the passage of many years, a mouse was worth two points and a rat would gain one three points. Every morning, the evidence of the previous night's work was presented in the shop. All the evidence was inspected and the points were added up as anticipation for the meal that would be provided. Of course, the thought of humiliating the opposing team served mightily to drive us to kill off every sort of vermin.

Coyotes were a big prize, but few of us had the wherewithal to harvest these yodel dogs. Occasionally, some fortunate son would find a coyote that had died and the ears were still sufficiently unrotted to remove from the head and pretend that it had been eliminated in an appropriate manner. We were reasonably certain that if said ears were brought in by a member of the other them, they were dirty, rotten scoundrels who had found the beast killed by a vehicle on the highway. Obviously, they were lying and their prize would be loudly challenged and vigorously protested. Of course, if a member of our team brought in the ears, he earned those ears by his diligence. Whatever he claimed was the honest truth and didn't need to be verified.

Skunks were a real prize, as a skunk would generate twenty-five points. We didn't see a lot of skunks, but should anyone encounter one, it was sure to be dispatched and the tail taken to verify that said skunk no longer was a pest. I suppose the fact that the tail was taken from the skunk was reasonable evidence that the odiferous beast was no longer functioning as a mobile chemical weapon factory.

Larry was in his first year of FFA. Coming from a poorer family, he didn't have a 22 or a 410, so he resorted to whatever he had at hand to take the vermin he brought in. He was quick, and he did provide a surprising harvest of mouse tails and rat tails, though he didn't have a lot of luck getting sparrow and/or starling wings. One evening, however, Larry spotted a skunk tottering through a knothole into a barn. A skunk! Twenty-five points! That was a real haul and would for sure put his team in the lead the following day.

Larry burst through the door of the barn and was briefly brought up short by the fact that he didn't have a rifle or a shotgun. No problem! He espied a brick lying beside the door. He'd use the brick to brain that beast and when it had been properly dispatched, he'd cut off the tail. Skunks seldom cooperate with plans such as these, however.

The brick missed. The skunk didn’t. However, that didn’t deter Larry. He retrieved the brick and with his best imitation of a big-league pitcher, threw the brick at the skunk, connecting squarely in the side. The skunk didn’t appreciate this assault against its person, and accordingly pranced around aiming at its attacker once again. Score two for the skunk. At last, Larry retrieved the brick once again and this time put the malodorous animal down for good. To make certain that his nemesis was well and truly dead, Larry decided to pound it with the brick until the head was quite flattened.

Would you be surprised that Larry was compelled to walk home. No one wished to allow him to ride in their vehicle—not even in the bed of a pickup. To add insult to injury, his mother would not permit him to come into the house. She made him sleep outside after she had thrown him some old rags on which he could lie. Early the next morning, she instructed him to strip off all his clothes (right in front of God and everybody) and hose himself down. Didn’t help. Money was somewhat dear in those days, but his mother did expend a can of tomato juice. Actually, Larry smelled like an Italian skunk after that exercise. Perhaps some oregano would have helped.

In any case, Larry was anxious to get that skunk tail to school. I mean, that was twenty-five points! Not surprisingly, Larry was not allowed to remain in the shop. He tried to wander into the school building, but the principal ordered him home. The fetid aroma that wafted about Larry was not conductive to the instruction provided by the school. He mother again had him strip nekkid in the yard (which must have proved amusing to the neighbours) and hose himself down while scrubbing with lye soap. It was three days before Larry was again seen at school, though he eventually returned. Oh, and his team didn’t win. He didn’t take FFA the following year.

Awesome Mike!!

A buddy and I may or may not have been hunting and trapping coyotes in high school. We used his 4x4 pickup to get ourselves up in the hills to hunt the yotes and to check our traps. I had concocted a SCENT for us to use by putting water and chopped up suckers into a glass jar and letting the jar sit out in the sun. It fermented all summer and went through the winter without freezing solid which was amazing. After a little over a year and a half it was now the moment to put this awesome cover scent to work. Wondering how it smelled I may have cracked open the lid on one of the jars and sniffed my concoction inside. Almost instantly the odor was so hideous that I started to wretch instantly. I quickly closed the jar and placed it back up on the roof of my fathers tin shed. Come November we were all set to call and trap coyotes. I may have had to spend the next 10 minutes or so scrubbing my hands in hot water and soap trying to rid my carcass of this foul odor.

It was time to check our traps. I may have put the "glass" jar of cover scent in a box and then put this box in the back of my friends pickup. In getting to a couple of our sets we may or may not have had to do some serious four wheeling in my friends pickup. I had put the glass jar and some packing in the box to protect it from breaking. We certainly didn't want it up in the cab with us. On one of the many steep and snow covered hills we had to get his pickup up the box in the back rattled around and dumped the glass jar of our special scent in the back of the pickup. The glass jar broke and yes a full quart jar of this amazing concoction spilled all over in the bed of his pickup. His pickup may or may not have been the most potent smelling vehicle known to man after that. My goodness it was awful, and we had lost a full quart jar of my special mixture!

After our adventures that day we drove back home and my buddy spent about $10.00 at a car wash hosing out the back of his pickup without much success. He drove his pickup to school every day and if you were a block away downwind, you may have felt like you were going to loose your cookies. It was that bad!!! The smell eventually faded after about a month but I don't know if it ever completely went away.

My grandfather....may or may not have, converted a former out house into a smoke house. Of course after moving its location.... a metal fire box was then added to the bottom, outside and a stove pipe and flu of some sort were added to the back wall as I recall. Metal racking of some sort was added to the inside and I am told it served admirably as a smoker for some years until an old refrigerator was repurposed and modified for the task. This I remember as I recall eating bullhead or carp straight from the smoker.

The former outhouse /smoker was moved back into the grove a ways and was left standing for many many years. The door was always wired shut to keep inquisitive young minds from prying into its now empty recesses lest we should happen on a badger or a skunk that found a way into it. (see post above if you need details)

As the years went by, as old buildings do, it developed some cracks and crevices where an enterprising, or panicked rabbit might escape from a young boy, his air rifle, and an 80 pound German Shepard/Collie mix named "smokey". Smoke BTW, was convinced he was part beagle, part Labrador retriever (only for me...another story) part grand champion English setter, part Tasmanian devil and part cattle dog. This last part only in so much as he would role in the most fresh pile of whatever he could find in the cow yard next to the tank. Skunks didn't bother him...

Any way....one cold late fall afternoon, just at dusk, 'ole Smoke managed to "tree" a cottontail in the aforementioned outhouse/smoker. This was obvious from his frantic and persistent laps around the outside, winning, and digging at its base. Knowing what was going on, and always ready for some excitement, and not wanting to deny Smoke his fun, I conned one of my cousins into helping me pry the door open to the outhouse ...err smoke house.

It took both of us kids (we were maybe 12 or 13) to pry that door open a few inches.... Smoke saw his opportunity and launched himself at the crack. Whereupon one of the boards gave way and the dog clamored inside and up onto the shelving after the now terrorized rabbit who began a series of death wails as it seem to rocket around inside the almost pitch black space, looking for a way out. This was apparently matched by the screams form my cousin. She said "I may or may not" have been doing some screaming of my own. I honestly don't remember how that cottontail got out of there alive. It may or may not have made its way up high enough to get out the stove pipe hole in the back.
I may or may not have wet my pants over the experience, and I may or may not have actually run for the only time in my life w/o the aide of crutches or a wheelchair, back to the house...

One thing I do know, I can tell you EXACTLY what your dying rabbit predator call should sound like at a distance of about three feet.

And that is the gospel truth, no maybe's about it. CL

I may or may not have gotten left over crab legs from a restaurant employee who was going to throw them out. I may have figured that they still had some purpose left in them. I may have taken the smelly crab legs and using my "fleet key" to open up the door to my Sergeants patrol vehicle. He did not care what the inside of his car looked like and it appeared that a transient was living on the floor of the front passenger seat area. Empty McDonalds bags and other various food containers were above seat hight on the passenger front floorboards. I may have placed several crab legs in this garbage and underneath this trash heap up near where the floor heat vent was. He may or may not have finally caved in and had to clean out his car as it stunk so bad that even he could not stand it!

Oh wait this may or may not belong here. It was more of an intentional I may or may not have instead of just s#!*^ happening.

I may or may not have had a different Sergeant who smoked in his car and he smoked one right after the other. Really nice fellow but the cigarettes were bad. I may have had a smoke detector go south on me in my house at the time. It might have become uber sensitive and even just a little sniff of something burning on the stove and it would go off, and was quite loud I might say. I might have figured the old girl still had some life/use left in her and may have taped the smoke detector to the headliner of his patrol car directly behind where he sat and behind the cage behind the front seat. I may have wanted to follow him home that afternoon to see what happened to witness the events as they unfolded but I could not do it and give myself away.

Back