I need a 25-06 sure thing

FOTIS":38ie5ep6 said:
Vince":38ie5ep6 said:
I shoot a 25-06 with 100 Grain Partitions and IMR 4350.
It gives me half inch groups all day long. My "go to" powder for the 25-06 is the IMR 4350. Your rifle may be different.

load and velocity ?

48.5 Grains of IMR 4350.
Velocity: Fast enough. :grin:
Actually I have no idea as I haven't chronographed the load yet.

Vince":20u4dgns said:
It gives me half inch groups all day long. My "go to" powder for the 25-06 is the IMR 4350. Your rifle may be different.

That would be two of us!

Vince":1ydjlkzp said:
FOTIS":1ydjlkzp said:
Vince":1ydjlkzp said:

load and velocity ?

48.5 Grains of IMR 4350.
Velocity: Fast enough. :grin:
Actually I have no idea as I haven't chronographed the load yet.

How do you sleep at night?

Very well as I've figured out my drops by shooting at known distances. :grin:

After Fotis posted a thread about a chronograph I can see myself spending a dollar or three to buy a chrony. Then I'll get the chance to see what sort of velocity I'm getting. I'm guessing 2960 fps but the chrony will tell.

I am intrigued by this discussion and the wide variance of maximum data for 100gn bullets with IMR4350 propellant for the .25-06Rem cartridge.

I got to my final working load for hunting by a slow incremental increase of propellant charge and adjusting bullet seating depth...not at the same time of course, but first deciding with nominal charges where the seating depth should be. While doing this, I couldn't get the Nosler BT to perform as well as the Sierra 1620...however the propellant charges for these two bullets was different anyway. Nevertheless, I got the accuracy & velocity I wanted from my 22" barrel @ 53gns IMR4350.
In achieving this, the bullet is seated rather further out than the listed seating depths of 3.200" e.g. in the Lee manual & 3.155" in the Lyman. But then, mine is a single shot rifle with good throat reach.

I most certainly use the manual for the sake of safety, but, having said that, it is after all a guide and not giving data outside SAAMI specs., can not therefore necessarily be attuned to individual rifles for the 'perfect' load. The data has to work for ammunition made for old rifles as well as newer ones.
I hasten to add, I am not suggesting ignoring the published data, I do though believe, used as a guide, the experienced hand loader with enough knowledge to understand the damage over pressured cartridges can cause, and where to look for indications that you're going 'too far', it's perfectly possible to SAFELY achieve a load, perfect for your rifle outside published data.
But, if you step into this territory, go there with great care
. ATB ET

Vince":29md9gt5 said:
After Fotis posted a thread about a chronograph I can see myself spending a dollar or three to buy a chrony. Then I'll get the chance to see what sort of velocity I'm getting. I'm guessing 2960 fps but the chrony will tell.

Chronographs have ruined many a good load, Vince. The endless pursuit of velocity has ruined many accurate loads.

DrMike":222k3hmg said:
Vince":222k3hmg said:

Chronographs have ruined many a good load, Vince. The endless pursuit of velocity has ruined many accurate loads.

So true, Mike! One day at the range, a guy was overlooking me shooting through my chrony. He asked, "howz it shootin'?" I replied, "take a peek through the spotting scope and judge for yourself." He did, and saw 3 groups on the target, all under .75." He then asked a out my load. I was shooting a tang safety Ruger 30-06 with 180gr Partition. His next question was, "what velocity you gettin'?" I said, "well, the slowest read 2633, and the fastest read 2646." He then became the handloading "expert" and made a few remarks about stuffing more powder in there to get at least 2800, what's the point of such a slow load out of an '06 and why even handload.

Some people just don't get it most of the time.

ET, your charge of 53 gr of IMR4350 and a 100 gr bullet is only .2 grains higher than recommended as a max load, according to Hodgdon's web site. It's also a very well known load. Many a .25-06 shoots well with 52 - 53 grains of IMR4350 and a variety of different 100 gr bullets.

Regards, Guy

49.0 grs of IMR4350 and a 120 gr. Nosler Partition - Winchester brass - Federal 210 primer

3000 fps out of my wife's Remington MTN rifle with the 22" barrel.

Guy Miner":1cvm3hc6 said:
ET, your charge of 53 gr of IMR4350 and a 100 gr bullet is only .2 grains higher than recommended as a max load, according to Hodgdon's web site. It's also a very well known load. Many a .25-06 shoots well with 52 - 53 grains of IMR4350 and a variety of different 100 gr bullets. Regards, Guy

Absolutely Guy, it isn't much of a difference and you're 100% right, people have used their own initiative around the loads they developed. These successful higher velocity loads can and do also provide excellent accuracy and deliver super energy performance on live quarry as a result.

However my point really refers to the cartridge lengths and much lower max charges listed in a variety of manuals/data sheets, including Nosler's own published data of the bullet/propellant combination.
There can of course be a number of reasons for this such as the differences in bearing surface of bullet to bore and deeper seating of the bullet etc.

All I am simply saying is one can look carefully and go further than the first data sheet may imply and when one sees the differences of detail in several data sheets from other manufacturers whether they be propellant or bullet mfrs there's room to manouvre to generate the best load for one's rifle. Also, that this development may deviate from published data.

I hope you fellas enjoyed a very Merry Christmas and celebrate a wonderful entry to 2014 when it arrives. Cheers, ATB ET :grin:

Vince":2hhwxgds said:
Vince,

It will be money well spent. You will also sleep even better, maybe........... :)

JD338

JD338":ln9ckxo0 said:
Vince":ln9ckxo0 said:
Vince,

It will be money well spent. You will also sleep even better, maybe........... :)

JD338

I sleep just fine. :grin:
I'm cheap and that's why I haven't parted with the money yet to buy one.

ElmerThud":2dyjicwk said:
I hope you fellas enjoyed a very Merry Christmas and celebrate a wonderful entry to 2014 when it arrives. Cheers, ATB ET :grin:

Merry Christmas buddy! Hope you had a great one as well!

Certainly did/are Scotty. A very peaceful time for us and with 2014 knocking on the door, hoping for a much calmer & balanced year than 2013 was. Off to the range tomorrow morning to check a new batch of 110gn Accubonds zero ready for a trip back to Scotland in two wks time. :grin:

ElmerThud":328rm6n1 said:
Certainly did/are Scotty. A very peaceful time for us and with 2014 knocking on the door, hoping for a much calmer & balanced year than 2013 was. Off to the range tomorrow morning to check a new batch of 110gn Accubonds zero ready for a trip back to Scotland in two wks time. :grin:

Yeah, I know 2013 was full of extras for you ET.. I am hoping 2014 is a little less exciting for you.

Good luck at the range buddy.. Take a snap or two of the groups your putting out with that 25-06.. You make me feel bad when you send pictures of 3/4" groups and say you've had a bad day! :grin: :grin:

Wishing you great success in your 2014 hunts. Trust this hunt coming up soon is a roaring success.

Back