I Played Hooky This Afternoon

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
My weekend project is putting a damper on my shooting, so I took off at noon from work and went to the range. Anyway, I needed to chrono the load for my 6.5-47 Lapua. I have a total of 25 rounds loaded, 5 each starting from 34.5, 35, 35.5, and 36. Initially, I started at 37 grain of IMR 4350 on my first batch but I'm seeing slight extractor mark on few brass, so I thought I might be running it a little hot. I did not even bother to run the load in my chrono before pulling all them out and start over. Turn out that these new batch were way too slow. At 34.5 grain, I'm only getting about 2476 fps and 2575 fps with 36 grain. At least I have a couple of once fired brass to use for load development.
I also took the 7 WSM and try some of the 180 grain Sierra MK that I loaded a few months ago. I only fired a total of 10 rounds out of my 7 and call it a day. Over all, it was a satisfying afternoon away from work playing with two of my superb target rifles. Here's a couple of picture guys. Enjoy

Here's a couple of 6.5-47 Lapua 5 shot groups at 110 yards.

DSC01940.jpg

35 grains of IMR 4350. Average velocity 2476 fps

DSC01953.jpg

35.5 grains of IMR 4350. Average velocity 2500 fps

DSC01952.jpg

36 grains. Three of the brass was not resized after I pulled the bullet so the bullet was seated a bit loose. The other two were virgin brass. You can see the difference on the impact. It even show on the chrono. Average velocity at 2575 fps

DSC01941.jpg

7 WSM rapid fire 5 shot group at 110 yards. Average Velocity 3000 fps

DSC01942.jpg

DSC01946.jpg

DSC01950.jpg

Playing hooky to go shoot groups like that is entirely acceptable. Great work :mrgreen:

That's some serious accuracy Rommel and a very business like rifle you're doing it with. It sound like a great way to enjoy an afternoon.

Greg Nolan":896d76bz said:
That's some serious accuracy Rommel and a very business like rifle you're doing it with. It sound like a great way to enjoy an afternoon.
Thanks Greg.
I can't believe we're still in winter here in Cali. The temperature at the range today was at 79.8 degrees F.

DSC01930.jpg

Thanks Gentlemen. I still have to jack up the load for the 6.5. It's rather slow. I should be around 28 to 2900 fps with the 130 Berger VLD.

I well revisit this 37.5 grain load again and see what kind of velocity was these.

IMG_0218.jpg

For sure, the accuracy is there, Rommel; that group is certainly worthy of laminating and carrying in your wallet (or framing for the office wall). Velocity doesn't seem that low.

Awesome shooting DF! Those is one awesome pair of rifles you have. Love that 7WSM. Just an incredible performer for its size..

It might not be getting there quite as quick as you would like but with that kind of accuracy there is nothing going to get as well :)

Blessings,
Dan

SJB358":2wsrhhrp said:
Awesome shooting DF! Those is one awesome pair of rifles you have. Love that 7WSM. Just an incredible performer for its size..

Scotty, I really like the 7 WSM also. With a stout load of Reloader 25, I can push the 180 at over 3K with very low ES and SD.

DSC01948-1.jpg

sask boy":2tf8o2yr said:
It might not be getting there quite as quick as you would like but with that kind of accuracy there is nothing going to get as well :)

Blessings,
Dan
Dan, When the rifle is put together right by a very competent smith, the result is very predictable. These were the first load I've tried... 6 different powder weight, still the rifle will place the bullet in the same spot over and over again. My main goal now is to raise the velocity at the level where it should be. It's just a matter of increasing powder charge to met velocity goal. I don't expect the group to change much.

DF - Those SD and ES numbers are exceptional. I keep telling myself that with a good .270Win there's no reason for me to get a 7WSM. I'm not so certain I can remain convinced for long.

Very sharp irons indeed!

CatskillCrawler":awbb0b5g said:
DF - Those SD and ES numbers are exceptional. I keep telling myself that with a good .270Win there's no reason for me to get a 7WSM. I'm not so certain I can remain convinced for long.

Very sharp irons indeed!
Cat, I'm contemplating on building a lightweight hunting rifle chambered for it. The more I shot the 7 WSM, the more I'm impressed by it's performance. As a target cartridge, it can hold it's own against some of the biggest and much more powerful round there are.

Desert Fox":3s2mpcbq said:
CatskillCrawler":3s2mpcbq said:

Very sharp irons indeed!
Cat, I'm contemplating on building a lightweight hunting rifle chambered for it. The more I shot the 7 WSM, the more I'm impressed by it's performance. As a target cartridge, it can hold it's own against some of the biggest and much more powerful round there are.

My 7WSM is a great performer. I didn't have a bunch of chances to carry it hunting as much as I wanted, but it did get out this year. With 160 AB's at 3100, I am not too sure I would ever need much more. I love the cartridge.

9037091801105.jpg

6544291801105.jpg

The 7WSM has to rate as one of the true sleepers in the WSM family. It is a superb cartridge that is good to go with essentially any game in NA.

Back