308 WIN	        SAKO FINNWOLF
32 WS         	WINCHESTER 94 Pre  '64
35 REM	        MARLIN 336 CS
375VM2	        VIERSCO
416 WBY MAG	   CLASSICMARK II (JAP)
444 MARLIN 	    MARLIN 444S 
45-70	           1895 GS SS
458 LOTT	   RUGER #1H Tropical

See no gap. The aforementioned list does not include rimfires and varmint guns. Got plenty of those.

So what to get??? Or not?????

You did? man you were dying to sell it! :evil:

FOTIS":1hesjywa said:
No clue why. I have no gaps at all. for big game I have

Code:
6MM-284	REM 700 CUSTOM
270 WBY	        MKV ULTRA LITE
264 WM              SUPER GRADE
30-30 	        WINCHESTER 94
30-378	        SAKO TRG-S #2
308 WIN	        SAKO FINNWOLF
32 WS         	WINCHESTER 94 Pre  '64
35 REM	        MARLIN 336 CS
375VM2	        VIERSCO
416 WBY MAG	   CLASSICMARK II (JAP)
444 MARLIN 	    MARLIN 444S 
45-70	           1895 GS SS
458 LOTT	   RUGER #1H Tropical

See no gap. The aforementioned list does not include rimfires and varmint guns. Got plenty of those.

So what to get??? Or not?????
LOL... Well Fotis, just the way I think, I see several gaps in there including but not limited to a quarter bore, a 6.5mm, 7mm, 338... :lol:

OK, kidding aside, I'm pretty fond of the larger bore stuff but for some reason I have quite a soft spot for the 284. Just my meager $.02, I'd ditch the 7RemMag and go for the 7WSM instead. Performance is very close but can be had in a smaller, lighter and handier rifle. I'd also recommend going with a M70 Fwt. That is the set up I've gone with (with Talley lightweights and a Minox ZA3) and am pleased as punch with it. My only regret is allowing my propensity for cheapness to overtake my stock buying decision (Mine started off life as one of those shadows or ultimate shadows with the ugly cheap bumpy stock). I bought the stock on Ebay and I think I picked up the bottom metal on gunbroker if memory serves. Anyhow, I had the option to go with a nicer chunk of wood and didn't. I'm still not sure if I would spring for the nicer wood if I had it to do over again, but that is the only thing that I can remotely come close to calling a disappointment with the rifle.

Now if the 7WSM option is just out and your pretty well settled on a 7RemMag, then I'd push you towards a M77... a tang safety equipped one if possible, but that just my love of Ruger talking.

I would take a browning 7mm wsm or a win 70 wsm...provided a decent price.....

I will not, and never will, pay someone's premium.

Very good choice Fotis :grin: ..I have one, and love it pal!
Lou :wink:

I have both a 7WSM (Model 70) and a 7RM (Model 70); each soothes an itch that would be unbearable were I without them. Love 'em both! :grin:

No 7mm and no 338.
I think you need a semi-custom 340 Weatherby like the one in the Classifieds.
And, I'd even deliver it personally. :)

I could arrange for a 7mm Weatherby too if you really wanted one. :mrgreen:

No 223 either? Maybe you need a Savage 112 BVSS in 223. Got one of those for sale too....

FOTIS":1oelz2yz said:
I would take a browning 7mm wsm or a win 70 wsm...provided a decent price.....

I will not, and never will pay someone's premium.
Ahhh words to warm my soul! :lol:
Fotis, I picked up my Shadow in excellent condition at Cabelas for 310 after beating em up on price a bit.The stock (new in box) ran me right at about a c-note on ebay and the bottom metal I think was a little less than that. Add on Talleys from ebay for $30 and a demo Minox for $189 from Doug at CLNY and the rifle was ready to go for $720. I did pillar bed it and bed the action & chamber area myself for the cost of pillars and a portion of the accraglass kit. Factoring out that though, $720 for a Fwt in near new condition wearing a decent scope ain't too shabby and is a few bucks less than what an unscoped M70 goes for off the rack around here. I don't know what the original stock could bring if I were to sell it, but I'd imagine it'd offset my costs even further :grin:

Fotis - for several years I was seriously enamored with the 7mm Rem mag, and I like to believe that I loaded it right. Had different rifles, but the two that I used most were a plain-jane Rem 700 ADL and a Rem 700 Sendero. Both worked out real well, and the 7mm mag was really all the cartridge I've ever needed in a big game rifle.

This Wyoming bull fell to a single 175 gr Nosler Partition, at about 180 yards, from the 7mm Rem mag 700 ADL.

I was partial to the 160's, 168's and 175's though I also used the 140's a bit. If elk hadn't been on the menu back then, I'd have been very happy with the 140's. Reloader 22 and H870 were my go-to powders. H870 is of course very difficult to obtain now, and stocks are largely exhausted unless you find someone who has squirreled away some. It was an excellent choice for the 175's.

The 160's could break 3,000 fps with ease, 3100 fps was not really a problem. I was impressed when I saw 140 gr Remington FACTORY ammo at 3225 fps, and excellent accuracy. That was an exceptional mule deer load.

About a dozen years ago I started messing with a bunch of different cartridges and somewhere along the line I sold off my 7's. I miss them. Particularly that drop-dead beautiful 700 ADL with the dark black streaks in the walnut stock... What a rifle...

One thing I really appreciated about the 7mm Rem mag was that I could shoot it from prone with no recoil induced problems whatsoever. Recoil and muzzle blast were very similar to a warm loaded .30-06, and the trajectory was flatter. There are many good all-around cartridges. Remington's 7mm is one of the best of that lot I believe. I'd happily hunt North America with either a .30-06 or a 7mm Rem mag, making a possible exception for the great bears, though I know that they too have fallen to the 7mm Rem mag.

It's a sweet round to load and hunt.

FWIW, Guy

I agree you have things pretty well covered especially the big bore end of the list but as mentioned a 1/4 bore would be a lotta fun and I know Scotty is smiling as he has been on me about getting a 7MM and it could happen but I have been drooling over a Sako 9.6 very hard but I think I am over it now and have been eyeing a 1/4 bore Accumark RC really hard as well :( made the mistake of asking to look at the target in the box $$$$ My BIL has been shooting a Sendero for years in 7 MM and has harvested some monsters with it!

This is supposedly a cull buck from a South Tejas Ranch? You are short a few Weatherby's :lol:

I would be hard pressed to use a 7RUM over a 7STW. The RUM gains 50fps in normal barrel lengths for half the barrel life. I really think the 7-300wm is a better choice because with up to 168's you don't have to infringe on the powder capacity in a standard magazine. In a standard mag length the 7-300wm will run really close to a 7STW using using heavy bullets because it's .230" shorter. The STW will run away from it with a Wyatt extend mag box though.

I think you need a beater truck gun in 7mm rem mag. Savage 110 off the local used gun rack. Or similar will get it done. Case of 150gr Remington coreloc or Winchester power points. Then go fill tags and fill the freezer's.

I love the two 7mm's, the WSM and Rem Mag. I have both and wouldn't be without them. Both of them are just as Guy so describes, easy to shoot, extremely accurate and hard hitting. The 7mm Rem Mag was my first and blazed the way with good, flat shooting magnums. I always thought a guy that could shoot a 30-06 could shoot a 7mm with a 160 from Federal. The 7mm WSM is just the same thing in a compact package.

Maybe a cool little EW or something.. Or a slick little Nosler.. The 7mm WBY is pretty slick too.. Probably my favorite I have never fired.

Back