BlkRam's Working Guns

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Gil asked that these working rifles be posted as a new thread.

We know how much Thankful Otter enjoys her lever rifles, so it seemed appropriate that these be posted as an example of the working rifles used just a little farther south from her. :mrgreen:

Left to Right:
Browning BLR 358 Win
Winchester Model 88 284 Win
Winchester Model 94 Big Bore 356 Win
Marlin Model 336 BGL 30-30 Win
Marlin Model 375S 375 Win
Marlin Model 1984S 41 Rem Mag

Missing:
Winchester Model 88 338 Federal
(Being rebarrelled from 308 Win)

To be replaced at some point:
Winchester Model 94 Big Bore 375 Win
Browning Model 71 348 Win
Browning Model 1886 45/70
Browning Model 65 218 Bee
Browning Model BL-22

Yet to own:
Sako Finnwolf 243 Win
Savage Model 99 250 Savage
Winchester Model 1873
Marlin Model 336 35 Remington
Marlin Model 336M 356 Win

Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8" barrel

S&W Model 57 6" barrel

Marlin Model 1894S

As soon as I can get out to the range I will be testing and reporting on performance of the following factory ammunition in these 3 firearms:

Winchester Platinum Tip 240 gr PTHP
HSM Bear Load 230 gr cast bullet

wow, if I read that correctly you will someday own approx 18 lever rifles, very very impressive. It already is a nice collection congratulations

Exceptional collection Gil. Dr Mike titled your thread "working guns", so I am assuming you collect guns you want to use in the field at some point rather than collect antiques, so to speak. I notice your desire to obtain a 71 is to find a Browning, not a Winchester, which makes sense of you want to use it and not just collect it. Jamila's father has two original civil war Henry 1860's in his collection, that of course are just collectables, although I believe they are functional. Same with the Win 95, 405, I would not mind having one in a collection of levers but would probably never use it. However, I do have an old Savage 250/3000 that is still functional and I loved that rifle.

I think the reason you are not getting more replies is everyone is jealous, I know I am.

Headed back to warm weather, so probably will not be able to respond--if--you should, but like hunternyny, you already have a great collection and when you obtain the ones you want to go with the ones you have, it will be an unbelievable beautiful collection of levers .

Thanks everyone!

Was thinking about previous posts in other threads where people were asking for more pics of leverguns and wanted to share mine. It is not intended to be a brag or make anyone jealous. Sincerely looking forward to seeing other's collections!

Being a lefty and having used my Papano's (grandfather, word is actually Father in Cree, but this is what everyone called him) Marlin 30-30 to take my first big game animal, a whitetail doe, and then my Dad's Model 94 in 30-30 to take my first black bear, and a friend's Dad's Browning BLR in 308 Win to take my first whitetail buck; you can see why the lever action will always have a special place in my heart, and in my collection of hunting firearms. And they carry so nice! Fun to use! Joy to handle and shoot, in spite of the characteristics that some rifle shooters look down their noses at; not the best for accuracy (but can be quite accurate), poor triggers, etc. I think each rifles idiosyncrasies add to the rifle, as they do to us! Would never want to be boring; why should our rifles be boring?

I did forget to mention that one of my future projects is to rebarrel a Marlin 336 into a 414 Super Mag, and acquire a customized Ruger Blackhawk in the same caliber. I think it is neat to have a revolver and a lever gun chambered in the same cartridge! Been wanting that for a long time and have accomplished it with the 41!

Gil, that is a very nice collection of rifles my friend (y). I do not own any lever actions at this time but my first rifle was a Marlin 336c in 30-30 and I shot a very nice Whitetail buck with it. I have also own a couple of BLRs over the years in 243 & 308.
Thanks for displaying your beautiful collection and I am looking forward to others on the forum doing the same for us gun cranks :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Gil, I can only hope and pray that I one day am able to own a lever action rifle collection as nice as yours. Beautiful!

Yeah, Cheyenne, but you didn't see a .348 in the bunch, did you? :mrgreen: Planning to buy one doesn't count. :lol:

Yes, while I enjoy acquiring these lever actions, using them in the backcountry is even more important to me, so they must all be hunted with, and eventually harvest game. As much as they are nice to own, the practical side of me says they must be useful too! Blame that on being raised in the backcountry and on a farm.

While Mike teases that I do not currently own a Model 71, I do not take offence as I have owned one in the past, and will eventually have another. As I do not have the money of some, I have to work hard and save for these rifles, and they come as opportunity arises and the funds are available.

I also look forward to the experience that I will earn and learn with the use of these rifles as I acquire them, and the future adventures that will also be forthcoming! How can it get any better than that?

I love lever guns. Such a great gun to carry in the wilderness. I also love how spooky accurate they can be. I have a couple that will go toe to toe with the average scoped bolt gun, and my levers wear peep sights.

Blkram":1cvrf7xt said:
Yes, while I enjoy acquiring these lever actions, using them in the backcountry is even more important to me, so they must all be hunted with, and eventually harvest game. As much as they are nice to own, the practical side of me says they must be useful too! Blame that on being raised in the backcountry and on a farm.

While Mike teases that I do not currently own a Model 71, I do not take offence as I have owned one in the past, and will eventually have another. As I do not have the money of some, I have to work hard and save for these rifles, and they come as opportunity arises and the funds are available.

I also look forward to the experience that I will earn and learn with the use of these rifles as I acquire them, and the future adventures that will also be forthcoming! How can it get any better than that?

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Gil, but the above post speaks very well about this man. I am now to old to share a campfire with him, but perhaps one day I will have the pleasure of buying him a drink, or two. I have had the pleasure of meeting and even hunting with some on the forum and just barely missed having a drink with Scotty and Charles during the christmas holidays, hopefully next year I can catch up to them and then perhaps head to Washington and have a drink with Guy before heading further north to meet Dr Mike and Gil. Guy and Dr Mike will be able to rehash the woodstock era with me, Gil, Scotty and Charles will just have to endure my stories

Yup, missed Woodstock by only a three hour trip. I was on my way to NYC to begin grad studies, April. Look forward to a visit one day. My good lady and I would enjoy hosting you. Hey, we're celebrating fifty years of wedded bliss in a week! Not bad for an old curmudgeon like me.

Good looking collection Gil, I really like those guns.

In the extremely unlikely event that you lose your mind and sell that Marlin 41 magnum, I'm calling dibs on it :lol:

Too late, Gerry. He's already lost most of his mind, but he seems to hold onto a distant memory of what that particular rifle is all about. Not to worry, I'm close by to secure that particular rifle should the day come that he sets it down and forgets where he put it, though. :mrgreen:

gerry":20y1f9mp said:
Good looking collection Gil, I really like those guns.

In the extremely unlikely event that you lose your mind and sell that Marlin 41 magnum, I'm calling dibs on it :lol:
I was thinking the same thing, Gerry, you beat me too it.

Great bunch of rifles Gil.

Back