Show Your Lever Guns

that 348 keeps showing up, Fotis, Gil, Scotty, etc-------maybe I need to add one

Blkram--you do have a very nice collection. Do you find one, more than any other, gets out more ?

I would love to add a Winchester Model 71 to my stable! I just wish they didn't cost so friggin' much, yikes! I think the .348 would be a great cartridge as well.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

The BLR in 358 Win has seen more time afield than any of the others because I have had it for 15 years, and then the Marlin 375 Win, as I have owned it the longest.

The biggest reason for carrying the BLR has been it's short, handy, light and has a detachable magazine, with a cartridge with enough power to handle any animal in north america, including the big bears. It's recoil is very manageable (my daughter shot her first deer with it at 16) and it will shoot its preferred load ( Speer 220 gr Hot Cor FP over 50 gr of Win 748 and WLR primers for 2209 fps (chronied) and 22365 ft-lbs of energy, sighted in 1.5" high at 100 yards. At 300 yards it isstill traveling at 1700 fps with 1063 ft-lbs of energy and is down 7.8") into 1" groups at 100 yards, and offhand I can break fist sized rocks consistantly out to 200 yards. The Leupold Vari-X III in 1.5-5 is mounted in Leupold QD rings, so I can use the irons should the scope have issues. It has been my main backup rifle when hunting with other rifles, and is used for guiding, horseback, atv and archery hunting since I have owned it. The trigger is not great, has a lot of creep, but I know exactly when and where it breaks.

Before acquiring the BLR, the Marlin spent a lot of time in the field moose and bear hunting. Very good performance on these animals out to 120 yards to date. Call it Thumper, as every animal harvested with "thumped" the ground when hit with its 200 gr Power Point or 220 gr Hornady bullets. Some did get back up and ran a little ways after that, but usually not to far. One black bear made it about 150 yards further through the black spruce and required a finishing shot, but that was due to bullet placement (one lung, quartering away as it ran) and not the rifles fault.

As a number of them are new acquisitions, time will tell which of these develop that special relationship through use, feel and accuracy. Very much looking forward to using the 348 and Marlin 356! I have enjoyed carrying the Win Model 88 in 338 Federal the past couple of years, and had fun harvesting that caribou with it this fall! It will see a lot of use as well, although it is not as light and handy as the BLR. Am looking forward to also hunting with the Model 88 in 284 Win and 7mm-08. Final goal with the 338 and 7mm-08 is to have both stocked with full length stocks of nice walnut. (Blame John Wooters for this; beautiful pair of full stocked rifles in 7mm-08 in an old magazine article)

I really like my new "94 Big Bore in 375 Win, but since it is unfired, am not sure if i want to fire it. May have to get another to use in the field. That 375 Win is just a lot of fun to hunt with! Could not pass up the one in 307 when I came across it and it's beautiful monte carlo stock. It came with 50 rounds of handloaded 160 gr FTX's and the target shows that it will print nice 1" groups at 100 yards. Will use when rattling in whitetails. The 356 Win was a gift from DrMike, and needs to get out more. Has been carried for backup bear hunting with him, as it is kept used with irons only. Need to harvest a bear with it still.

The Marlin 35 Rem I bought for my wife for use as a saddlegun and camp gun. She does not care for recoil (her 7mm-08 is about as much as she wants to handle) and isn't keen on trying the 358.

The Marlin in 41 Rem is fun to shoot, and would love to take it on a mountain lion hunt! Also great as backup for archery bear hunting.

The Marlin 30-30 was a sentimental purchase. I harvested my first big game animal (whitetail doe at 15) with my grandfather's Marlin, and since my uncle has that rifle now, wanted one. When I saw the nice wood on this one, I had to get it. Meant passing on an original Marlin 444 with 24" barrel and monte carlo stockat the time. Will be passed onto my daughter or grandchildren in the future, after they get to hunt with it.

My previous Browning Model 65 in 218 Bee was used in lynx hunting and harvested a nice cat in 2002. The next one will used for the same purposes as well. The lever action 22, is just self explanatory. Did have a BL-22 once. Just did not find the ammo it liked, and it went to someone who liked it better than I did. The Marlin 444 is a new desire that had not been previously piqued until the recent article by Brian Pearce in Handloader. Being able to get the 280 or 300 gr A-Frames for it also makes it more desirable.
The Savage Model 99 in 250-3000 has been on my radar for many years, I just have not found the "right" one yet, screaming "Take me home!". Prefer to find an older one with the brass rotary magazine, with nicer wood. Closest I have come to is a carbine seen at a recent local gun show. Know the guy, but he is asking premium dollars for it, and I have some other financial priorities at this moment. It would also be kind of cool to go out hunting, where my wife, daughter and I are all carrying rifles in 250 Savage!

Cheyenne, nice to know that you will keep your grandfather's rifles. That 250-3000 would be great to teach your children how to shoot and hunt with! You have a very cool collection of firearms in your own right!
And 3, 348's! Very cool! You almost have as many lever action rifles as I do! (not that it is a competition! LOL)

Blkram, I want to thank you for your reply. you always take the time to give excellent responses to questions, thank you. I am sure some here feel everybody knows as much as they do about rifles, reloading, bullets, etc and that is why they sometimes give one or two word responses. Those, like yourself, who "explain" and not just answer are appreciated --thanks again

I need to find a 348 and use it. Several here like it or would like to have it. I am sure the larger caliber lever rifles are preferred by those who hunt larger animals in thick forests. At one time I only associated "levers" with cowboys and not hunters, but I was obviously wrong. Blkram and Fotis have a lot of nice lever rifles. Last but not least, I always enjoy the posts from our Canada and Alaska members when they talk about grizzly bears, polar bears, lynx, wolf, muskox, caribou, moose, etc---not a lot of them in New York. Hawkeyestaz I think I will look at the BLR, not the Win in the 348

hunternyny":2l5n1n7x said:
Blkram, I want to thank you for your reply. you always take the time to give excellent responses to questions, thank you. I am sure some here feel everybody knows as much as they do about rifles, reloading, bullets, etc and that is why they sometimes give one or two word responses. Those, like yourself, who "explain" and not just answer are appreciated --thanks again

I need to find a 348 and use it. Several here like it or would like to have it. I am sure the larger caliber lever rifles are preferred by those who hunt larger animals in thick forests. At one time I only associated "levers" with cowboys and not hunters, but I was obviously wrong. Blkram and Fotis have a lot of nice lever rifles. Last but not least, I always enjoy the posts from our Canada and Alaska members when they talk about grizzly bears, polar bears, lynx, wolf, muskox, caribou, moose, etc---not a lot of them in New York. Hawkeyestaz I think I will look at the BLR, not the Win in the 348
I'm not knocking anyone who owns a BLR in .358 Win, and there are a lot of people on this forum that have them, but to me, there is something that is not pleasing to look at BLR for me. They are a wonder of modern technology, and more accurate than any lever gun could be. But to me it's just something about the lines.
I'm much more of a traditional lever action kinda guy. Call me crazy! LOL

And that is exactly why there are so many manufacturers, and models of lever action rifles (or any action type), offered in so many different calibers and cartridges. There is one to satisfy the needs, wants and desires of those looking to find the "right" rifle for them and their intended quarry, in the locations that they will be hunting that quarry, in their chosen manner. Not every hunter or rifleman (or riflewoman) is looking for the same rifle style, caliber or physical characteristics or options.

Detachable magazines are great for those that prefer spitzers in their leverguns and longer barrels for better performance over longer than average distances (say 100 yards or less as typically seen in the eastern woods). Models such as the Marlins or BLR's that are made for easier scope mounting. or the carrying qualities of the Model 94 Winchesters.

For me, there are rifles out there that I like the look of, and the attributes of their design of action, stock, barrel, sights or mounting systems. But when I actually handle or shoot one, they just do not feel "right" to me. The Weatherby Ultralight Accumark was such a rifle. and I am a big fan of the 270 Wby. Nice rifle, and accurate. Action was rough and I just did not like the feel of the synthetic stock. I did not own the rifle long.

There is no right or wrong here. Buy and use that which you prefer, and enjoy the rifle that YOU own! And be happy for those others that are doing likewise.

Blkram":36qqz1jl said:
And that is exactly why there are so many manufacturers, and models of lever action rifles (or any action type), offered in so many different calibers and cartridges. There is one to satisfy the needs, wants and desires of those looking to find the "right" rifle for them and their intended quarry, in the locations that they will be hunting that quarry, in their chosen manner. Not every hunter or rifleman (or riflewoman) is looking for the same rifle style, caliber or physical characteristics or options.

Detachable magazines are great for those that prefer spitzers in their leverguns and longer barrels for better performance over longer than average distances (say 100 yards or less as typically seen in the eastern woods). Models such as the Marlins or BLR's that are made for easier scope mounting. or the carrying qualities of the Model 94 Winchesters.

For me, there are rifles out there that I like the look of, and the attributes of their design of action, stock, barrel, sights or mounting systems. But when I actually handle or shoot one, they just do not feel "right" to me. The Weatherby Ultralight Accumark was such a rifle. and I am a big fan of the 270 Wby. Nice rifle, and accurate. Action was rough and I just did not like the feel of the synthetic stock. I did not own the rifle long.

There is no right or wrong here. Buy and use that which you prefer, and enjoy the rifle that YOU own! And be happy for those others that are doing likewise.
I meant no offense, honestly. I don't begrudge anyone on their choice of firearm, whatsoever. I really don't.
I applaud those who do use, or have the BLR's, in fact. I know those who have them, swear by them. Can't fault a person for that.
Who knows, my taste might change in the near to distant future, and I might want a BLR very bad.
I'm very close to being a BLR man. I like my Savage 99, because it has a rotary magazine, can hold 5 rounds, and, same as the BLR, can use spitzer shaped bullets. All plusses in my book.
My buddy, Fotis, has a BLR, and he swears by it. I won't say anything bad about it. I hold his choices, and opinions in very high regard.
Blkram, I hold your opinion in high regard as well. You shoot one. It works for you.
All's well.

No offense was taken by me. All is well.

Just voicing my musings to the general audience and to no one in particular, while also trying to show support for everyone's choices/opinions/practices, as to the great selection of firearms out there, and everyone has a choice and the right to decide what they like or want to use. We are few in number and need to support one another in our pursuit of this great past time and to ensure that our children and future generations have the chance to the same choices.

I know people who like their Norinco's and Mossbergs, Weatherby's, Mauser's and Savage's (except for the Model 99), brands that have no interest for me personally, but just because I don't care for them, doesn't mean that they are inferior or lesser firearms, nor that owning them makes their owners any less as people, huntersor shooters. Most of these were/are not offered in left hand, or only in limited models, etc., and that had a small part to play in my own choices.

I know I am not the world's greatest shot, and with my particular challenges, probably will never be. But I know my limits, and those of my firearms, and am not willing to stretch these. I also know that I know a bit about these topics, but am far from knowing all there is to know on the subject or topics. But I am still learning, and enjoying the journey! I really do appreciate that there are those that are regulars on this site that appreciate my posts and even "hold my opinion in high regard". This is very flatterring, as there a number of very experienced and knowledgeable men and women who also share their knowledge and experience on this forum! I am very grateful to them, and those that have taught me other great lessons firsthand as well. I hope that others can use the information I share in my effort to pay it forward.

I also applaud the man or woman with one gun, and thus gets to spend their extra disposable income on great hunting adventures all over the world. While I want to travel and hunt as they do, I apparently have chosen to purchase other firearms on order to have greater diversity and depth in my battery and knowledge of same, and their use and performance on game. I am lucky to live where I do, and have the privelege of hunting the game that I do, as needed for sustenance.

I often question whether or not I should follow that path. The money I could raise from selling firearms, scopes, ammunition, and components would provide for a great safari and memories that would last a lifetime! I just enjoy owning these firearms, and being able to learn more about shooting them and developing loads for getting them to reach their full potential in accuracy and on-game performance. I enjoy carrying them in the field, as much as I do taking them out of the safe to clean and admire those with beautiful wood, nice balance and great triggers (during dry fire practice).

OK! Now that I have rambled on enough...back to the lever actions!

What's in your collection?

Gil and Hawk

Thank you. I hope a couple of members here read and re-read both of your posts above in reference to rifle and caliber preference. I have in the past been crucified, ridiculed, and laughed at, for my 348 preference. At first I tried to be the better person and explain that I dont use a scope ( on the levers, but do on the H and H.s ), I dont shoot from any position that creates a problem for me with a lever, I dont shoot long distances, most of my "hunting" is accidental ( oh there is a nice moose and we are low on meat-bang ). The 348 with a wood leigh bullet will in my humble opinion do anything a 45/70 will do and the 7mmwsm (at least for me ) will do everything from wolf, lynx, caribou, and even moose and bear, if needed, plus it works on the trap line. ----So, if those are the only two I use, why should anyone care----but there are still some that claim I dont have the knowledge, that Gil, Dr Mike, Scotty, Earle, Hodgeman, Bear, Don, Cole, Fotis and a host of others to make that decision-----------and---------I always agree!!! But I dont have the time or even desire to "play" with a lot of rifles and loads and what continues to amaze me, is why I am not entitled to shoot, hunt, and enjoy my rifles, my way.

Nobody needs to respond to this post, I just wanted to get this off my chest and to once again try to tactfully explain my position to those who continue to fault my choice of rifle, caliber and knowledge.---and in some cases everything else I do! Thank you for letting me say all that and if you feel it is an offense post, please delete it Fortis, I will understand.

I will respond, as your choice is YOUR choice, and if it works for you and you are satisfied with the results, then that is all that matters. Period. And you ARE entitled. You have spent the time afield with your weapons of choice, and know them well. And you are respected for it by most of us here. That is what truly matters.

Who cares who really has more knowledge and experience? This is not a competitive forum. This is a knowledge sharing forum, and a place to gather and discuss common likes and pastimes, as we do wigth out local family and friends. I am glad for it, and happy to be here with the good people that share our passion. I will ignore the disrespectful ones, and hope that those cowards, internet wizards and rifle nut wannabe's move along or are removed by the Moderators in short order.

I could care less if someone does not like my choices; they are my own and I am either happy with them or need to live with the outcome, whatever that maybe. I am accountable for my actions, and must face what comes, good or bad, or otherwise.

I am just glad that you are happy with your choices and are willing to share with us, as your experience, with your rifles is greater than mine, and I am just starting again with the 348, after a long hiatus.

Anyone that finds that offensive has better not be offended when someone else finds their choice to be less than someone else's own. Period.

Cheyenne,

If I were up north, in Canada, I believe I could be great friends, with you and your husband, and family, and tribe.
Your experience, and knowledge is about actual hunting, and surviving are top notch.
You have a solid basis of what works very well for the really big, nasty critters. Plus the same for not so big, but nasty critters too.
I, for one, hope you continue to share your expertise.
I have to fully agree with Blkram on everything he said.
Thank you all, men, and women, in no particular order, for all of your contributions on this forum.
I, too, would own a .348 in some manner, if it weren't for limited funds. The .348 is more aerodynamic than a blunt bullet of the .45/70, by far. It reaches further with more gusto, than a .45/70 could dream of.
Plus, the Winchester Model 71, to me, like a painted masterpiece. It's pure beauty, sometimes awe inspiring, and something that demands respect, both from the shooter, and whatever receives it's business end.

Though I have owned 2 center fire levers I don't have any in my safe right now but I do have the first one I ever bought way back about 1960, a daisy cub BB gun which i customized it adding a saddle ring.
Killed quite a few birds and rabbits with this little rifle.

Attachments

• KIMG0172_01.jpeg
    KIMG0172_01.jpeg
    489.8 KB · Views: 566
  • KIMG0170.jpeg
    KIMG0170.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 566
  • KIMG0169.jpeg
    KIMG0169.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 566
Now, that's a real lever gun, Rodger. I had one as a child, and it ensured many joyful hours afield shooting rocks and twigs, and even my brother on one occasion. He tried to aggravate me, but it didn't work out well for him. It did cost me my Daisy BB rifle for a few months, but that is another story.

DrMike":1yecwwy3 said:
Now, that's a real lever gun, Rodger. I had one as a child, and it ensured many joyful hours afield shooting rocks and twigs, and even my brother on one occasion. He tried to aggravate me, but it didn't work out well for him. It did cost me my Daisy BB rifle for a few months, but that is another story.
Ha Ha Ha
sounds like we had similar brothers. Every time I would get a new pack of BBs he would take my gun and shoot them up. I hid my rifle and he found it except this I only put a few in the rifle. He wanted more and I wouldn't give them to him so he hid my gun which I found and loaded with the BBs I had saved and chased him out of the house threatening to shoot him he made it to the garage and kept sticking his head around the corner taunting me, His mistake since I was a fairly good shot with it and he has a front false tooth plate like flipper that I shot out of his mouth. Being older and bigger then me I knew I had to make a run for it. He chased up up the road with me cocking the rifle and taking shots at him on the run. I made enough hits on him that he gave up and said wait till Mom gets home. to make a already long story she told him he got what he deserved and to leave my things alone. :)-) Yeah I could have shot his eye out but I was taking a bead on his chin hoping to shoot his teeth out which I told him i was going to do. He still carries a scar on his upper lip since the BB went clear threw.
I have more child hood stories I could tell about him and me but I don't want to hog up the post any farther.

Rodger, cool old levergun! LOL

Every firearm has a story! If they could only talk!

You'll have to bring it north sometime on one of our local hunts for our mighty Canadian mouse!

Blkram":1m91fmk8 said:

You'll have to bring it north sometime on one of our local hunts for our mighty Canadian mouse!
Thanks for the invite. If their saber tooth mice I might be a little under gunned. :)-)

Ha! I still have mine too! Mine was an SRC though. The pic below is of me receiving an early lesson from Grandpa. I guess I do have a lever gun...! :) CL

truck driver":hqmjq92a said:
Blkram":hqmjq92a said:

Thanks for the invite. If their saber tooth mice I might be a little under gunned. :)-)

Yep, remnants of the Plastocine era!
Cousins to the notorious Caddyshack gopher! LOL

Blkram":vshkoq65 said:
truck driver":vshkoq65 said:
Blkram":vshkoq65 said:

Yep, remnants of the Plastocine era!
Cousins to the notorious Caddyshack gopher! LOL
So you think we may need some C4 :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, my 348 Swift A-Frames arrived yesterday!
Now to dig out some H4350 and load up a few.
Swift's 2nd manual shows 55.8 to 60.0 gr for 2301 to 2490 fps out of their 24" test barrel.
Other powders listed: Re17, IMR 3031 and 4895

Back