What's Your "Fun Gun"?

My 700 Classic in 350 Rem Mag. Perfectly balanced and sized for me, fast handling, accurate and a thumper to boot. A joy for me to shoot. Recently got into a bunch of 180gr Hot Cors so that I can really shoot her more now and save the 225 Partitions for the field. Though I might sell 100 of the Partitions and buy a new house.....😂

My funnest to shoot? Usually my M77 in 35 Whelen. Accurate, easy to load for and just flat out effective on game. Knocks things over DRT or DRT in a very short distance. I just put a set of irons on it of JD’s R700 with Williams firesight inserts. It handles well, shoots well and is about a perfect rifle for me. I do have a brand new M21 300 win mag that’s growing on me too. Hard choices.

My funnest to shoot? Usually my M77 in 35 Whelen. Accurate, easy to load for and just flat out effective on game. Knocks things over DRT or DRT in a very short distance. I just put a set of irons on it of JD’s R700 with Williams firesight inserts. It handles well, shoots well and is about a perfect rifle for me. I do have a brand new M21 300 win mag that’s growing on me too. Hard choices.
When a question is asked, 35 Whelen is seldom the incorrect answer.

My 700 Classic in 350 Rem Mag. Perfectly balanced and sized for me, fast handling, accurate and a thumper to boot. A joy for me to shoot. Recently got into a bunch of 180gr Hot Cors so that I can really shoot her more now and save the 225 Partitions for the field. Though I might sell 100 of the Partitions and buy a new house.....😂
When I decided to build my 35 Whelen I seriously considered a 350 Remington Mag. Deciding factor was brass availability and ease of forming brass from 06 brass. I would definitely be happy with a 350 RM with enough box length and enough throat to comfortably handle 250’s.
I just watched a video of a guy forming and trimming 350 RM brass from 7 Rem Mag brass using a Redding form and trim die. Didn’t look too complicated and definitely a great option to keep a great round running. I can’t understand why more folks don’t use the Whelen and 350 mag. Great rounds

My favorite is a 4&1/2" Browning Nomad .22 that I bought at a gun show 50 years ago. When it comes to hunting or pure fun it is my go-to pistol. I've taken many squirrels, raccoons, coyotes, and even a deer with a broken leg that had been hit by a car. I have a model 41 S&W and a flat side Browning Buckmark that rarely see light outside the gun cabinet.

Back