I will never own a rifle chambered in........

.25WSSM- Otherwise known as "winchester screwed somthing (up) major. If I want a .25 short action my 250-Savage is under gunned but will kill any deer/elk if need be. (not advised but true) and the 25-06 or Wby will do it all else. They should have necked down a 270WSM. That would have been a rifle!!!

Powerstroke":1bel9sce said:
30-06... don't ask me why, the only reason I have ever been able to come up with is....... I just don't want one.

Im with you on this. I have a few and will never use them. Never have cared for them

I don't think there is one that I wouldn't own. There may be some I wouldn't keep. and there is possibly a couple I have no use for, but still would own if the price was right.

Are there rifles that people won't have in their safe. A freebie or a classic tends to seduce the most ardent detractor of particular cartridges. I said I would never have a 30-06, but a little CZ with a mannlicher stock grabbed my attention. After shooting it for a year, I divested myself of this investment and bought a Model 70 Featherweight chambered in 300 WSM. When the first new SC made Model 70 Featherweight showed up on the local gun store rack, it was chambered in... 30-06. The wood was so pretty and the rifle so attractive that it followed me home. I'm cautious in saying "never."

Having said that, I have no desire for anything .17 or .50, and I can't see myself buying anything 6 mm.

I will second or third or whatevr it is now on the no wssm but I have no ill will to the wsm

nodak7mm":i9bxhhkc said:
Blacktailhunter,

Enquiring minds want to know how, you know how the cedar bark pile feels? Then again maybe not..... :shock:

Hmm....

Rod

...college hazing ritual

I will also add the WSSM lineup to my list

I never thought a .270 WSM would follow me home, until I saw a new Winchester, still in the box for $279.00. It could be a good shooter, or good trading material. Either way, I won't get hurt on it. I'm not big on the .243. Bigger then you need for prarrie dogs, small then I like for deer on up. but it's still a nice yote killer.

I'm with DrMike
I've bought some pretty useless guns and later sold them but they seemed like a real good idea at the time. Impulse buying :oops:

I'm kind of really suprised to see the 243 on here!

I'll more likely never owen any of the WSSM, anything in a .308 cal, anything in a .325 cal, or a 50. But, I don't know if I could pass up a screaming deal for some trading material or something.

.308 cals can do it all and I don't ever waht to have to open my safe and look at one rifle.

.50 cals are to big and spendy and unpractical.

and WSSMs....need I say more?

everything else has a place in my safe.

Never say never. If someone dumped a rifle in my lap for a song and I could make a buck on it yes I would take it. But one caliber I don't plan on ever owning again is the 7mm Rem Mag. I just had too many bad experiences of putting perfectly placed bullets in the shoulders of deer and having them take off and run 100 yards or so into the deep thick NC cut-overs and having to track them down. I love my 25-06 BANG FLOP. I don't intend on owning anything in 17 or any of the Ultra anythings or SS anythings.

+1 to what 1Shot said.
I like 'em all. Never thought I would own a lever action but I now have a 1895 Guide gun in 45-70.

JD338

Those WSSM's would have to be one of the worst feeding rifles ever.
If you don't cycle the action very quickly it will jam most times.

I concur that the 25 WSSM should've been a 25 WSM, now a wildcat known as the 25 pronghorn or 25 WSM. Much beter idea, but a little hard on barrels. I'll stick with my 257 wby unless the price is very favorable.
In a few years these WSSM rifles will be VERY cheap for a lack of factory ammo. I will say the 25 WSSM is a very accurate round if it got a good barrel or was built on a custom.

JT.

I really can't think of something I wouldn't own. I like them all, .17's and I have seen the mighty .50 BMG in action in both the Barret and M2. It is truly one of the most devastating rounds in the US arsenal for ground troops. I can't see using it for deer, but it would be fun for long range practice. Scotty

I've seen a surprising number of .50 BMG rifles sold here in Dawson Creek during the past couple of years. There is clearly a market. I just can't see myself toting one around. I did hear of one fellow that shot a moose two years ago with his ... at 80 yards. He claimed it picked the poor beast up and moved him a considerable distance. I opined that it likely gutted him and skinned him in one step as well.

Again, we have seen a passel of .17 rimfires go into the hands of shooters. I see a lot of expended brass at the range. Someone is buying them and shooting them. However, I would rather have a .22 centre fire for varmints.

The WSSM craze didn't last long. There are some beginning to show up for sale at discounted prices. The used rifles seem to sit on the shelf for quite a while in comparison to other calibres. There isn't much call for WSSM ammunition and virtually no demand for brass, so it would appear that those that are out there are not being shot a lot. I did load development for a couple several years ago, and they shot well enough, but it did seem that the velocities generated would erode the throat fairly quickly.

I still see a lot of .243s being purchased, but I have no particular desire to own one. However, people love them that have them.

Being a kind of the middle of the road guy, caliber wise, anything smaller than the .22 and bigger than the 30-06 is probably not something I would purchase. Course give me one and I would not turn you down.

But since I doubt that I will ever hunt anything bigger than deer or smaller than squirrels :roll:

Long

cause I have changed my mind on lots of stuff before.
I have no use for the RUM rounds. I like some of the weatherby rounds,
But if a 300 win ain't enough rifle, I don't think a 300 Rum is either.
fact is for about 99% of hunters If a game animal is to far to shoot him with a 30,06 he is to far to shoot at.
I know there are guys here who can do the long range stuff,
But I see to many wounded deer limping around when i am elk hunting for any one to convince me there are not way more guys shooting these lazer cartridges with long range reticles than should be,,,tj3006

Gentlemen. In this day and age and considering the total jerks who think they are running {actually ruining} our great country we should be very happy to get our hands on anything that has a trigger, goes bang and pushes something out the barrel. We are fortunate here and in my humble opinion there are NO bad rifles in this context. Yes, it's true some are rude and some may seem inadequate for specific purposes, BUT we have them. The important thing is to KEEP them. Newysan Do not trust a government that does not trust you to own a gun.

BK":3ufb3nqa said:
Well, if I were to name one, it would be 7mm RemMag, but it seems there are two of them in my safe!

I'd have to agree as well about the 7mm Rem Mag. I owned two sold one turned the other into a .375 Ruger. Just couldn't displace my .270 Win.

Back