Idaho Wolf Season

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Good news is Idaho is allowing about 200+ wolves to be killed this year. I know that isn't a whole lot, but it is a start. I think resident tags are 11.50 and non res are 186.00 or so. I can't wait. I am going to try and get one. I had a huge wolf over my bear bait this Spring. Should make for a relief on the deer and elk. They say Wolves grow 20% every year. I know the outfitters will be happy about it. Scotty

Wolf hunting is just too cool! It is a challenging hunt, for certain. I know for certain that they respond very well to a predator call.

I will defiantly have a predator call on me while elk hunting this fall. I really hope I can grab a tag. They are pretty awesome animals and would be like killing a medium sized muley to me. They would make a cool soft tanned hide to lay over my couch! Scotty

The hides are beautiful. They make either a fabulous mount or a phenomenal rug.

I hope MI will open up a season, there are a lot of wolves here.

JD338

Wow, I didn't know there were that many in MI. Good luck getting a season. They won't start one until the game have taken a huge hit, and people really start getting irritated and local pets start getting swiped. Then you have to deal with the anti's... They are really expanding their range though. Scotty

beretzs":1vyu53t1 said:
Wow, I didn't know there were that many in MI. Good luck getting a season. They won't start one until the game have taken a huge hit, and people really start getting irritated and local pets start getting swiped. Then you have to deal with the anti's... They are really expanding their range though. Scotty

What you are describing is exactly what has been going on in the Upper Peninsula of MI. Deer herd is way down. There have been a few wolves that have died from predators, but their numbers have grown way beyond.....

JD338

Yeah, it seems environmental conservation doesn't actually happen until the herds get damaged. Seems like they would see what is going to happen and start pushing for hunting sooner, rather than waiting until it is already on the downslope. In Idaho, I think there are about 230 tags for the entire state, so it will be interesting to see how fast hunters tag out and they end the season. Scotty

Top dog for the Ministry of the Environment (they handle all conservation in British Columbia) made the point in a conversation, that in 30 minutes an activist can gather 5,000 signatures to block a wolf cull, and the legislature will stop the plan. I fear he is right. At least forty percent of the population of this great province lives in the Vancouver or Victoria metropolitan areas. That is a big voting block that imposes its will on those who must live with the critters. Wolves, as is true of any predator, must be taught to maintain a healthy fear of man.

Consequently, there is always pressure from enviro-nuts to stop the grizzly hunt. Nevertheless, we have serious encounters several times each year. The people that want to see "cute" bears don't live with them. Addled women who swoon over the sight of a wolf as they take a guided tour down a river don't see the moose and the deer kills that dot the countryside.

I hope Michigan gets a hunt, and that Idaho is able to maintain the hunt.

DrMike you are dead on about urban dwellers not understanding nature.
Their's is a world that is detached from ours and quite likely, detached from reality.

An objective presentation of the habitat and species in question would clarify the facts, but that isn't how animal rights groups think or operate. They are not willing to realize that predators in the wild are not soft cuddly furry puppies. The fact that a half dozen adult wolves will run down and tear apart a deer isn't well recieved.

JT.

The fact that a half dozen adult wolves will run down and tear apart a deer isn't well recieved.

Yeah, and moose and elk also. Nature isn't pretty when tooth and claw are exercised. Indeed, I enjoy hearing the cry of a wolf in the wild, and I certainly enjoy seeing them, but they do need to have their populations held in check, and they do need to maintain a healthy respect for humans.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy tags for my son and I.

Now instead of leaving a canyon when I cross fresh wolf tracks while Deer/Elk hunting, I'll have a reason to go and find them.

Last season where I hunt in Idaho I only crossed tracks twice. The year before I hit sign many times and had wolves in my sights also.

Now I can pull the trigger. The Elk will thank us!

I hope that the hunt for wolves will continue as planned and I hope all of us hunters shoot three or four and tag one! That is what we need these killing machines are out of conrtol. I saw four this spring onthe bear hunt and they are impressive

just read an article in my hometown newspaper regarding the Idaho Wolf hunt.It seems the do-gooders are already waiting to go to court with apparently a bleeding heart judge at their disposal. I hope this judge looks at the scientific end of this hunt and doesn't give in to the nonsensical arguments that seem to billow forth from the people that seem to feel "if we leave the wolves alone everything will be just fine."

That's awesome. If you get some pictures it would be great to see. I have 20 minutes of a big white wolf from bear camp this Spring. Scotty

Dr. Mike, I'm reading my latest issue of American Hunter magazine and notice that they just made things a lot harder for hunters in your neck of the woods. Closing five million acres to hunting is really going to put a crimp into the local outfitters/guides pocketbooks. I guess politics are alive and well in BC. It kind of sounds like there might be a bit of outside influence pushing this issue (what else is new) What, if anything can any of the residents do to fight this.

Big Rifle Man,

There are serious challenges arising from political considerations here in BC. Local guides and outfitters are threatened, and they in turn often threaten residents through agitating for policies that will restrict access to their territories. Sportsmen in BC are under constant pressure to resist the politicians and to speak up for the environment and sensible harvest of the wildlife.

There are ongoing problems as environmentalists are quite vocal. Among the problems we have faced in BC is the voice of Robert Kennedy, Jr., who is an expert on matters related to hunting and fishing (If you don't believe it, just ask him). He has also found time to tamper with the Bow River, challenging the world-class fishing on that stream. Perhaps you could just keep the Kennedy people down there.

Back