Iguana hunting 2023

IdahoCTD

Handloader
Nov 4, 2004
The family made the long trek back to Puerto Rico for some iguana hunting this week. My dad, my boys and myself managed to slay a few tree dragons with .25 cal airguns. The picture with the dozer had 57 in it. We failed to collect probably 40 more for one reason or another that day. The picture behind the pickup had 52 and we had at least double that we couldn't get to on that day. The kids had a blast. They didn't get to shoot when we went in 2019 because they were too young.Day 2 2023 PR iguana shoot.jpgDay 1 2023 PR iguana shoot.jpg

Must be an incredible number of those beasts. That is a great experience for your boys. Out of curiosity, do you ever eat the iguanas?

Must be an incredible number of those beasts. That is a great experience for your boys. Out of curiosity, do you ever eat the iguanas?
Doc, where I live in Florida is just a little bit North of Iguana Territory. They are working their way up slowly so I'm sure in the near future I will be investing in a Good Air Rifle. From what I've heard they are good eating so that gives it a little more incentive. They do get big. When Florida gets a cold snap they stiffen up and go to sleep. which causes them to fall out of the trees they roost in. Easy pickings.

They do down in Florida doc. There are golf courses and other establishments that are being over run with them. In fact there are firms you can hire that do just that, kill them for a living. Check out YouTube.

Yep, quite a prolific invasive species. I watched Mike Rowe hunt them with air rifles when he tagged along with an eradication business near Miami. they undermine foundations, destroy golf courses, and their waste is contaminating water supplies. Another business ground up the killed ones for fish chum.

We haven't eaten them. They ship them to Houston for the meat and hides. They use to just throw them in the bushes. The first time we were down here the guides said they taste like fishy chicken. They are an invasive species and there is a estimated 6 million on the island with a human population of only 3.2 million people.

We shot some in Florida 2 Thanksgivings ago too.

Back