IMR 4831 & 160 gr. Partitions

Jar Head

Beginner
May 7, 2006
Hi there, I am new to this site & just wanted to share my joy as I have won my personal war w/ Partitions. I have a M700 cdl in 7mm mag. that I was really determined to use 160 gr. Partitions in. I tried Retumbo, Rel. 25, Rel.22, all got me around 1" to 1 1/2" 3shot groups at 100 yards. I realize this is fine for hunting but I still wanted more. Shot .403" 3 shot group today w/ this.
IMR 4831-62 gr.
Federal LRM primers
Winchester brass

I realize a lot of you have had success w/ the other powders & I am sure they are top notch but like so many of you say " Every Rifle Is Different".
Thanks for a good site & a lot of good info fellas!

Sounds like you have a shooter. Every M700 I own as well as a few others will shoot well under 1 MOA. You might also want to try some 160 gr AB for long range shooting/hunting. These bullets have shot in the .2's from my 280 AI.

JD338

Jar Head,

Arguably the most accurate factory rifles are Remingtons. One of the most accurate rifles I have ever fired was a Remington 700 ADL maufactured circa 1966 with a stainless barrel. It belonged to a dear friend. When his shoulder gave out, I sighted it in for him. Now you gotta remember than this rifle had zero, zippo, zilch done to it, not even a trigger job. It did have a 3x9 Vari-X II atop it. This rifle shot well, well under MOA. It was chambered in 7MM Rem Mag.

The most accurate rifle I have ever fired is my Sako, but it has had a trigger job & it's bedded. I get under an inch with mine using 67 grains of H-4831 & 160 pratitions, and groups like you wouldn't believe using 150 BT with 63 grains of IMR 4350. It seems like power with burning rates of IMR 4831 & IMR 4350 perform best in 7MM Rem Mag.

I have old reloading data that indicates 63 grains of IMR 4350 & 160 grain Partitions is max in the 7MM Rem Mag. I HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS LOAD BECAUSE IT EXCEEDS CURRENT SPECS! However, I would like to start low and work up when I get some spare time just to see if there is a noticeable difference in accuracy. Using 67 grains of H-4831 & 160 grain Partitions, I am getting better than 3100 FPS, so velocity isn't a concern. But I might be inclined to change for accuracy provided I have no problems with pressure.

If you're a hunter, it sure seems like you have a load that will give you confidence. And I am going to guess that you're getting in the neighborhood of 3000+ FPS, maybe more! Now that is something that will take anything you're likely to hunt in North America.

What most hunters don't recognize is that the 160 .284 projectile has superior sectional density than the venerable 180 grain .308 projectile. In essence, a 160 grain .284 projectile measures more than favorably against the 180 grain .308 projectile.

This being nothing more than my opinion, if I were going to hunt really big game all the time, I would prefer a 200 grain .300 Win Mag, even more so a .338 Win Mag. But for the overwhelming majority of all hunting, it is most difficult to best the venerable 7MM Rem Mag. There has to be a reason it is so damn popular.

Good huntin',

Tom

Pop, I'm not sure on my velocity as I do not have a chronograph. I'm guessing 2900-3000ish?
Tom1911,
The rifle I am speaking of is the same thing you wrote about, I adjusted the triger & that is it. My 7 mag. is used on elk, deer,antilope & black bear here in Oregon. This is my personal choice for a all around rifle but I would agree w/ you that a steady diet of bigger game might be better handled w/ a larger .30 cal. My good friend always claimes I am undergunned as he does it all w/ the bigger .30's. I do not agree w/ everything he says but he did make a good point. He said a lot of calibers will kill just fine when everything goes right but he wants to ensure a clean kill when something goes wrong.

OK. I will try to run it through Quickload to see what she does.

Jar Head,

I think your friend is trying to convince HIMSELF that his .30 caliber magnum is superior to your 7MM Rem Mag. Just assure him he's right. But the fact of the matter is that a 7MM Rem Mag will do everything his .30 caliber magnum will do and probably more. And a dicey shot is a dicey shot regardless of caliber.

This all boils down to preference. Before I bought another 7MM Rem Mag (I foolishly sold an early Model 700 BDL), I researched the hell out of it, including the reasoning supporting its creation. It was conceived and designed as a long range elk gun, and it has surpassed expectations. Moreover, there is considerable support for the thesis that .284 caliber is most efficient of all. The rationale here is founded upon sectional density. A .30 caliber has to use a 180 grain projectile to achieve the ballistic efficiency of a 160 grain .284 projectile, and at that it still falls short. Moreover, the 175 grain .284 projectile at 7MM Rem Mag velocity out-penetrates anything from a similar .30 caliber magnum. In fact, and I am relying strictly on memeory here, the only other similar magnum that equaled the penetration of a 175 7MM Rem Mag was a very heavy projectile out of a .338 Win Mag. For proof of this, try to find research about a hunter in Africa who harvested numerous elephants using a 175 grain projectile out of a 7MM MAUSER!!! And to wrap this all up, the 7MM Rem Mag delivers this performance with far less recoil!

One one my favorite cartridges is the .300 Win Mag, although I do not currently own one. After I concluded thorough research, the top contenders were the 7MM Rem Mag, the .338 Win Mag, and the .300 Win Mag. The .270 WBY Mag would have been in consideration if it had been more common. These are all excellent rounds and truth be told, no ungulate in North America will be able to discern with what he was forced to give up the ghost! If I were to hunt exclusvely in Alaska, I would have opted for a .338 Win Mag. However, if I ever get there, my 7MM Rem Mag will work on everything I decide to hunt, even griz if I am so lucky!

Some ten years ago I was at a processing plant in Wyoming when a 16 year old kid came in with a huge moose he had harvested. He killed the beast with 2 shots from his .270 Winchester. He told me the first shot did him in, but an insurance shot was demonstration of good judgment! Fact is, most cartridges from .270 Win on up will bring home bacon.

Jar Head, your 7MM Rem Mag is more than perfect for all your hunting needs. But you should keep your friend happy by agreeing with him...with a sly smile upon your face! 8)

My best,

Tom

P.S. As I have matured as a hunter, my Featherweight .308 Win is seeing more field time while my 7MM Rem Mag less. Go figure!

My 7mag likes 7828 with 160 gr pills but 4831 performed alright as well. In my case the velocity was closer to 2900 fps with IMR 4831 if i recall right, unfortunately don't have my notes handy to double check. I settled on mid 3000's with 160 AB and 7828, it performed very well on range and in the field on moose down to deer.

I certainly have no quams with 300 or larger for the likes of elk but ime of owning a number of larger calibers it really doesn't matter one bit when things go right or wrong for the matter. I no longer worry about the what if's, plain and simple if I am not sure I can make a clean ethical shot I don't take it. The 7mm rem mag has stuck as my all around cartridge, it has never left me hanging for the game I hunt. I think with proper bullet selection and knowing your abilities/limitations it is perfectly suited for my use upto moose sized game. My one buddy gives me the same jarring but considering his 300 & 338 has accounted for 5 (moose and elk) and my 7 mags have accounted for 14(moose and elk)...I tend to just smile and nod! :roll: I have a good hunting buddy who would argue his 270 win is all thats required, hard to find fault considering he just keeps notching his tags with one shot kills year after year on deer through moose using 150 Nosler Partition for everything. Boils down to confidence and personal experience IMHO.

Jar Head":3k5pu60d said:
Pop, I'm not sure on my velocity as I do not have a chronograph. I'm guessing 2900-3000ish?

That is what quickload said about 2925 or so. :wink:

I have an older Remington 700BDL (fleur de lys checkering) from the early '80s that's very accurate. It'll reliably give me .6" (5 at 100yds) with
Speer 160gr. PSP and IMR4831. For whatever reason that powder works wonders with this caliber. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Back